Are you a "bit" listener?

What gets me is when a great atmosphere is established in the verse and is spoiled (IMO) by a goofy, hooky chorus, eg.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
We've Got to Get Out of This Place
Ferry Across the Mersey

Anon, that's funny. I never really thought about it, but I agree, those choruses drag those songs down a few notches.

I don't really bit listen. The song is the smallest unit I really deal with, I guess.

That's interesting, but I don't think I've ever done that. I suppose, if I'm setting out to learn specific parts to play a tune, I'll concentrate on the bits that need the concentration, but when I'm learning songs, I learn the whole song. I look at every song like a poem, and the author is trying to say something within that framework. If I just listened to bits of what he was saying, the whole message of the song is lost, like when people take things out of context. So for me to give an accurate rendition of a song, I need to get the whole vibe.

I need to look at what you're saying though. Now I'm wondering if I ever did any bit listening. But I tend to recall entire tunes as opposed to favorite bits.

...well said Bo. I've thought of songs as short stories or poem's myself.

I definitely don't bit listen though there are parts in songs I know are coming up that I eagerly await. But, I don't isolate any "bit" and repeat over and over.

To the contrary, I'm someone that puts on a CD to actively listen to the entire thing. It's rare I have music on as background noise unless I'm on the computer or something. Most times I listen to music in the way some people watch a movies or intently watch a TV show. I focus on what's happening.

Back