Cymbal Stands

LizardDrone

Hey all. Im new to acoustic drums, Ive been playing on electronic, and I have a large amount of research to do. Hopefully you guys can help me. I need to buy cymbal stands, not something amazing and expensive, but something good for a first timer. Manufacturer, type, what it does, etc is what im interested in. Is it possible to have a cymbal stand where you can top with a cymbal but also put a tom on? Will it sound ok? My set has my 2 toms attached to the bass drum which can get annoying when trying to reposition. Thanks guys, sorry if this wasn't so detailed or informative I just really have no depth of knowledge in this subject.

There are a host of hardware companies, all of whom seem to make good, sturdy, low-cost cymbal stands. Some brands to check out include Gibraltar, Yamaha, PDP, Sound Percussion, Tama, Pearl, etc. etc. Drop any of the above name brands into Google Shopping (with the words "boom cymbal stand") and see what happens.

It is possible to buy any number of mounting options to fly a tom off a cymbal stand, or a cymbal off a single or double tom stand. There are multiclamps which allow you to clamp a tom arm to a cymbal stand; there are purpose-made cymbal/tom combo stands, and there are purpose-made double tom stands which you can then attach a cymbal boom to, using a multiclamp. However, when buying tom mounting hardware, you MUST ensure that what you are buying is compatible with your tom mount, or you've just blown a wad of money on something you can't use.

Good luck, and have fun - the drumset is the single most physically customizable musical instrument there is.

The first thing that I consider when I buy a cymbal stand is what I will use it for.
If I am going to use it to hold only one cymbal and I am going to lug it in my hardware bag then I buy thin light weight stands.
If I am going to hang a tom on it I then buy a heavy duty stand that will be stable and strong enough for the job. The medium stands work fine for one tom and an average cymbal.
There is no need for the average drummer to buy the heaviest stand for just a tom and a cymbal.
The super heavy duty stands are best for a touring drummer who has people moving and setting up his gear.

Back