Danny Carey

How his drumset is placed percectly with a mathematician, followin the "circle theory" mixed with the "golden proportion" mixed with a theory called " the theory of the equator".

can anyone explain this a bit?

To previous poster: I can't explain it. I think it might just be a bunch of bull. Tool is my favorite band and I have gotten used to the fact that they have a very dry sense of humor. Their music is the only thing about them that I ever take seriously.

I love Danny Carey's playing. I have recently started to learn Tool songs on my own and they are some of the most enjoyable songs to play ever! There are a lot of intricacies that I never noticed until actually playing the songs. So far I have learned Parabola, Prison Sex, Sweat, the polyrhythm in Eulogy, the chorus beat and polyrhythm of Lateralus, and the solo of 46 and 2. I need to get back to learning full songs rather than just pieces, though.

Understand that the guys in Tool are deep -seekers if you will. Tool fans get stereotyped for raving about this stuff, but many of their songs are built on fundamental patterns that resemble ancient attempts at unlocking the secrets of the universe more than modern rock and roll.

So read as deep into as you want, and as far as I know Tool profess no secret knowledge that they wish to impart, other there's more to life than meets the eye so think for yourself.

But yeah, there's a lot of weird stuff going on with that band, dig it.

oh yeah, to all the ppl saying that the album 10,000 Days was bad, please tell me why wings for marie Part I, 10,000 days Part II, rosetta stoned, intension, and right in two are bad songs

intension into right in two is just about as good as music gets

there is such thing as a bad tool album.

they are on tour again this summer!! i got tickets for atl

Danny Carey I believe is a very talented drummer. He shows mastery of drumming in odd time sigs and the use of his other musical backgrounds into his kit drumming. Now saying this even though I believe he's a very talented drummer, he doesn't necessarily impress me.

As stated before what I find interesting from his drumming is as others stated, how he sets up his drum set in the formation geoocult formations and patterns. And how he his drumming style is played in a means to reach harmony with universe (or however he actually states it).

What I'm trying to say is that I do believe he is a very talented drummer, but I believe Tool as a whole is more of a band based on showman ship than musical prowess.

I believe Tool as a whole is more of a band based on showman ship than musical prowess.

Man, can't a band just have something good to say and be original - when has any good band been BASED on musical prowess? Bands like that engage in musical masturbation, they don't make ART.

You probably hate punk rock and Bob Dylan's singing.

everyone spews that whole "oh his kit is set up to this masonic temple's dimensions" or whatever, but does anyone understand what that actually means? i think it's hilarious that tool's whole thing is "think for yourself", and that's the last thing that most of their fans do. they lie to their fans so much and they just eat it up. genius on their part, but it's pretty sad for everyone else. it's kind of weird that old masonic temple have the exact dimensions needed to set up an regular drumset. there's nothing different about the way he sets his drumset up than anyone else. has anyone ever noticed that? the most ridiculous thing though is when they said that they filled the entire studio with helium to make the drums cut through better. i guess setting up your drumset to old masonic temple dimensions brings out the old masonic black magical powers of being able to not die from inhaling too much helium too. you know how they make the drums cut through better? two letters: E Q

the band started as a joke, and they continued that purpose in their own way for all these years, i wish i could make people believe things they way they can.

Danny Carey is a ridiculously good drummer and makes up one-third of my holy trinity of drummers. (Neil Peart and Dave Grohl are the other two in case you were wondering)

To me Danny Carey isn't that great. He is good, but to me he is way overrated. I haven't found anything special about him.

First off, I agree wholeheartedly with the consensus here that Danny Carey really has it all: groove, feel, chops, power, independence, etc, and clearly deserves his success. However I must disagree with the trend in analysis of 10000 Days. I listen to this album more than any of their others, and Tool is by far my favorite band. At first, I was honestly NOT impressed at all with this album, but like any creative and challenging work, YOU have to put work into it as well to reap the hidden rewards. I had to listen to some of the songs a ridiculous amount of times to really get the feeling they were trying to convey - and that is what tool is all about. If you are just looking for a metal song, of course it will be boring, or weird, because they don't play metal music! Their art exists in a liminal zone independent of superficial genre classification because it is not just about the sound, but the feel generated by their emotional states and a scientific understanding of cymatic metaphysics, manifest acoustically as music.

I totally understand the sentiment though about not liking some tool material, even as a huge fan. I'm still not too keen on a lot of Undertow, although I am finally breaking into it to some extent, but a lot of it just still doesn't do it for me. However I credit that to a lack of effort on my part to really deeply get into the music, not any fault of the band. That is something peculiar about Tool, that a lot of their music is a hard nut to crack, but if you can do it, and change your mind into a receiver for what's really going on in their music, especially the drums, it's amazing.

100% with you man, Tool's music is very very personal, as MJK has said he regretted writing songs like "Prison Sex" and "Wings", especially "Wings/10000 days" because it's a extremely hard song to perform and a tragic if it falls apart, again, very personal.
I think no matter what kind of music they come up with next time, I will always respect them as artists and seeing them live is a complete privilege.

Danny and MJK hosted ‘Rage’ couple years ago, if you haven’t seen it, check it out, it’s pretty funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy0Dhj7dwYg

Danny, you inspire all of us!

To me Danny Carey isn't that great. He is good, but to me he is way overrated. I haven't found anything special about him.
Okay never mind, I just saw this video of him and he deserves to be up in the top 30 at least! I don't think he is up there with Keith Moon or Neil Peart, but he is great!

Okay never mind, I just saw this video of him and he deserves to be up in the top 30 at least! I don't think he is up there with Keith Moon or Neil Peart, but he is great!

Which video did you see?

And, listen to "Ticks and Leeches" if you get a chance. That song's a pretty good summary of what Danny Carey is capable of.

Last edited:
Yeah, Ticks and Leeches is pretty tough, but I think that Rosetta Stoned takes the cake. The time signature switches are something like 8/8, 5/4, 8/8, 5/4, 8/8, 10/4, 9/8, 6/8, 11/4, 12/8, 15/8, 12/8, 5/4, 3/8, 6/8, 3/8, 5/4. I would love to see a transcription of this song. And to the guy who isn't impressed by Danny's stuff: Drummers like Keith Moon may be more flashy than Carey, but the stuff that Danny is playing is actually a lot more complicated. Yes, Neil Peart plays some complicated stuff too, but even his playing is a bit more simple than Carey's.

I think Danny Carey is a very talented and innovative drummer, and I think those things really came together on Lateralus and 10,000 Days. For me, his contributions to "progressive rock" are similar to Bill Bruford's (Yes, King Crimson) and Phil Collins' (Peter Gabriel Era Genesis) contributions. I also think Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree) is creating some very interesting "progressive rock" drumming.

I love this guys drumming style, it's a shame that Tool broke up for Puscyfer, Danny Carey was an inspirational drummer.

I love this guys drumming style, it's a shame that Tool broke up for Puscyfer, Danny Carey was an inspirational drummer.

They didn't break up. Maynard's was doing one of his many side projects. All of the members of Tool have side projects. I believe they're "working on" new stuff at the moment (when Keenan's not preoccupied being a damn wine connoisseur) . However I'm not entirely sure what "working on" might mean.

Back