Metallica - Death Magnetic. They're at it again. (heads up)

That said and out of the way, Justice is FAR from a masterpiece. That is when it all started falling apart. You know when you see a racecar just start to go sideways and you know the crash into the wall follow by the flips is just moments away? That is Justice. Black is the massive, fatal crash that follows!!!!

LOL! Good way of putting it!

As for my views on the albums...

Kill Em All: 7/10
Ride the Lightning: 8/10, but I give Fade to Black 34/10.
Master Of Puppets: 9/10 (MOP titled song would be 40/10 because it, in my opinion was the peak of what heavy metal was, and could ever be).
...And Justice For All: 9/10
Black Album: 8/10.
Load: 6.5/10.
Re-Load: 6/10 (Although, I love fuel).
St. Anger: 4/10
Death Magnetic: 8/10

I'm seeing far too many perfect scores here. Surely you can find the flaws in five albums? That means that those five albums are utterly perfect. Well, they're not. Even Puppets has flaws - Leper Messiah is a good tune, but drags a bit and Kill 'Em All has really appalling lyrics. Look into it a bit deeper and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah, I know. I'm just really baised to Metallica. I have met Lars and James many times, I even played Lars' kit and they signed all my Metallica albums.
I was a Metallica fan since I was a wee lad (lol). Since I was like, 3 years old I loved them.
I've saw them many times, too.

They're the reason I love music and metal. So, yeah. They get my 10/10 band ratings...

I heard the DJ on the rock station say yesterday that it's sold over a million copies, worldwide, in the first two weeks.

Of course, that means nothing except that they can still sell albums. And they have a loyal fan base.

I've listened to it a few more times and I still think the musicianship is good, and that the overall sound is a long overdue correction in course.

Hetfield's voice is the only thing that can't go back in time. Everyone in the band could play Kill 'Em All just like they recorded it, but James could not sing it like they recorded it.

I'm not saying that's good or bad. He's older than me and still rockin', so he deserves credit for that. But his voice will never have that edge to it like it did on the first three albums (the only ones that really rocked, imo.) Both the timbre of his voice and his style are different. It just doesn't carry the same intensity. That said, he's definitely made an effort to crank it up on this latest release.

Hetfield's voice is the only thing that can't go back in time. Everyone in the band could play Kill 'Em All just like they recorded it, but James could not sing it like they recorded it.

These days, he would make a better country singer than a heavy metal vocalist.

These days, he would make a better country singer than a heavy metal vocalist.

Well, at least Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson haven't changed their voices =D

But, James lost his voice in the 90's for over a month. Thats one reason why he sounds differant. And to make matters worse, Bob *can go bite a* Rock made him (forced, should I say?) take singing lessons

25 years will change anyone's voice.

My bass player is a die-hard Metallica fan and walking Metallica encyclopedia. He informs me that the lessons were necessary if Hetfield was going to save his voice. It's not hard to believe.

The new Album is great!! I love it, there are about 2 songs I am not very fond of but besides that I really think they wrote a great album. I wonder how much Rick Rubin had to do with it?

i happened to pick up the album m'self and as much as id like to say, its way better than ... dare i say.. Saint Anger?

now, everyones right, it is nowere near kill em all or anything to that liking. the intros are a little long, which i dont usually mind but hey. i give metallica kudos.

all in all its a well rounded album.

But, James lost his voice in the 90's for over a month. Thats one reason why he sounds differant. And to make matters worse, Bob *can go bite a* Rock made him (forced, should I say?) take singing lessons

Bob *Producer Extraordinaire* Rock didn't force anything. He only let James know what he needed to do to get back into the game after the blowout. Bob Rock is one of James' best friends today, but back then it was a different story between the two. The simple suggestion that Rock gave Het saved his career. Thats what a friend does. Gives you brutal honesty and looks out for YOUR best interest.

25 years will change anyone's voice. My bass player is a die-hard Metallica fan and walking Metallica encyclopedia. He informs me that the lessons were necessary if Hetfield was going to save his voice. It's not hard to believe.

Correct! If James was to salvage his voice at all, he needed voice-rehab. His vocal cords were severely damaged. On top of that James refused help in the beginning, that is until he realized that singing was going to be impossible and it was delaying production on the Black album. Plus, James didn't really take substancial singing lessons. He was intoduced to a voice coach who worked with him for a short period of time to help him get his voice back on track.

To this day nearly everyday James has a voice warm up/workout tape that he continues to use becuase he appreciates the benefits that it has brought him vocally. He did readily admit the fear of using a coach, but it was needed.

In my opinion, James' voice is better than ever. He can actually sing. I really love the way his voice sounds on S&M. I'm a Metallica fan from Kill Em All, and I appreciate the growth in James' voice over the years. I think the blowout was a good thing in the long run.

I have to stand up for Metallica here guys - they are the very reason i got into metal and while Lars isnt the fastest or most creative drummer - he has a good feel for bringing drama and depth to Metallica's music, he really fits the bands style.
After the Black album they produced some real 'sell out' crap. Period.
After all these years waiting though, i think they have put together one heck of an album!
Oh and my B-list reviews;
Kill 'em all - 7/10 (best track - seek and destroy - a classic)
Ride The Lightning - 6/10 (fade to black - perhaps their best work)
Master Of Puppets - 10/10 (disposable heroes - powerful...)
Justice For All - 9/10 (shortest straw - old fashioned grinder)
Black - 8/10 (the unforgiven - close to the heart this one)
...several albums not much better than coasters...
Death Magnetic - tentative 7/10 (still listening...)
I think the boys are back to old form, loving it!

I'm actually going to buy this album. I've heard 3 tracks off it on Sirius, and they are growing on me.
I've been one of the biggest anti-new-Metallica fans over the last 5 albums. I am impressed with their latest efforts. A huge step forward.

Back