Derek Roddy here!

Seems as though despite my searching I missed that post somewhere... Thanks a ton, man. Really looking forward to it.

Even the original "demo" or rough versions or whatever you guys called them slayed.

No worries, glad you dig!

hey derek, just wanted to let you know i picked up your dvd a few months after i'd become interested in death metal drumming, and the lessons and backing tracks on the disk have really helped me get into the style, not to mention the very noticable improvement in my hand and foot speed as result of trying to keep up with with the back track!

thanks a million

Awesome...thanks for giving it a try. I really believe in that system.

Hi Derek, another question for ya... one I'm not sure if you'd be willing to answer.

When you were still with Sonor, what wood make/other specs were your SQ2s? Not sure if you'd be willing to release that info now that you're with DW but I've been curious...
Those were vintage Birch shells, not my favorite Sonor kit but, really nice... none the less.

Hi Derek,

I very much enjoyed your playing on Modern Drummer 2008 DVD.

I am trying to work on a double bass drum shuffle in the style of Simon Phillips/Billy Cobham etc.

But for the life of me I cannot get my feet to do what I want them to - and they keep reverting to straight 16ths.

Any suggestions would be welcome on how to achieve a shuffle.

Thanks

That's a tough one. I guess it's something you're just going to have to work on. Shuffles are tough for some people and others get it right away....wonder why that is?
Mechanics of the body can be tricky.
I'll do some thinking for ya though....maybe I can come up with something for ya.

Hi Derek

Just want to give you all my praise for your performance yesterday at DrumFest in Sevilla (my city). You were brilliant and your playing were top of the line. Very impressive to me, so congratulations!

Also we all enjoyed with your mood and positive attitude with us, so thanks for all Derek!!

Can´t wait to see you playing again.

All the best
Gustavo

Cheers Gustavo.....I had a blast (no pun intended) in Spain. Such a beautiful country.
Hope to come back soon.

Been getting more and more into your playing Derek. You are the man! Thanks!

Thanks brother....for the support.

D.

Hello everyone......
Just wanted to send out a note to you wonderful drummers here at drummerworld that my new website has been launched this week.
http://www.derekroddy.com/forum

PLEASE....take a minute to come over and register. It only takes 2 minutes....even if you think you will not post.
During our data transfer......We lost close to 50,000 members....so, Just making my rounds to tell everyone to swing by and re-register.

Cheers everyone and as always....thanks for the support.

D

Just registered Derek, and I just want to thank you personally for everything you give back to the drumming community, though your DVD, being active on the forums, and on Youtube as well. I know a ton of people really appreciate it, and you're definitely a huge help!

Cheers Luke...been a pleasure to have you over there. Thanks.

If you guys are interested.....here's a clip with me and the new DW performance series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1684hL01zc

Cheers,
D

And I've enjoyed my time spent there so far! Hopefully everyone will re-register soon and everything will get back up to speed.

Really enjoyed that video, its cool to see you and Pridgen switching off, thanks for sharing!

Cheers Luke...been a pleasure to have you over there. Thanks.

If you guys are interested.....here's a clip with me and the new DW performance series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1684hL01zc

Cheers,
D

That was great! Especially that groove at around the 1:34 mark. That simple groove has seriously inspired me!

Joining your new fourm as we speak!

...or as I type I guess.

-Jonathan

Just wanted to say you and Hoglan are probrably my Favorite death metal drummers, good job.

Yeah i really REALLY love the hi hat sound. My first "favorite" cymbal was meinl but i had to switch to Zild/Sabian because like i said Meinl isnt even sold in my province, so its a 14 hour drive to the closest place that has them.

I can seem to find those particular hats online either though.

Haha...was wondering for a second!

Those hats are the 13 Med Byzance Brilliant. Sweet Hats....love em a lot.

And because they're a Meinl product...you can be sure if you buy them...they will sound similar or identical to these in my video.

Cheers,
D

Now what are your opinions on childrens dance studios.....kidding :p

Thanks for the reply man, gonna order a set of these babies, just cant find em on musicians friend lol.

I wonder whether people have already commented on this, or not..

I like your harcut in that video. :) As much as I like your playing.

hi Derek,

I heard that when you buy the Axis AL-2 new that the pedal comes with drum lugs like on the new A21 instead of the old allen keys. Can you tell me if that's right?

Thanks

SonorPlayer

Now what are your opinions on childrens dance studios.....kidding :p

Thanks for the reply man, gonna order a set of these babies, just cant find em on musicians friend lol.

They should have them...they had them as a "musicians friend special" about a month ago.

I wonder whether people have already commented on this, or not..

I like your harcut in that video. :) As much as I like your playing.

Thanks.............I think! Haha.

hi Derek,

I heard that when you buy the Axis AL-2 new that the pedal comes with drum lugs like on the new A21 instead of the old allen keys. Can you tell me if that's right?

Thanks

SonorPlayer

I think so brotha.....don't quote me on that but, I do believe they switched all their pedals over.
Makes sense to me.

D

Hi,
So I've been passionate about music for 37 years but only been drumming for this past year... needless to say I can't get enough of all things drum related.

I recently purchased the MD 2008 dvd, what... its still good lol, but in your interview you mentioned being into Metal or Metal being a heavy influence as you gained your chops?

My question is now that you have skills do you find yourself discovering older artists in different genra's ... as in not Metal, which in turn helps you create fresh Metal beats?

This Q's is open to any Metal drummer reading this. I'm a Maiden fanatic so Niko is the shiznit and Metallica up to the Black album always floored me with that big heavy powerful sound... but funk grooves and off beat stuff seams to have so much "Flavor" it just ooozes and fills the air with thick slimy vibrations that you can't hide from... as opposed to a zillion beats a second sounding like a machine on roids

Don't get me wrong... I love Metal, just curois if there is a crossover point

thnx

Back