Racks... are they worth it?

i couldn't live without a rack. they save floor space on stage (HUGE BONUS) and they're not even that heavy to transport (just get a long box with wheels).

i couldn't live without a rack. they save floor space on stage (HUGE BONUS) and they're not even that heavy to transport (just get a long box with wheels).

As Toddy said, the real trick to using racks is to never fully break them down. Keep it all hooked up (3 main legs and all the hardware/clamps still attached) and then fold the legs into each-other and put it in a box, this really will save you time.

I digress, it's still all in preference really. Stands will do the same job.

When you have a pickup or van (i've got a truck with an 8' bed) and you can load your rack up fully assembled it is a tremendous time saver. Even if you don't, assembling your rack at the side of the stage and just carrying it up is also a big time saver. From the time the band before us gets off the stage to the time I'm ready to hit the first note on the first song is about 8-10 minutes. Half that time if i have 2 other people helping me and the drums and cybals are already mounted.

My rack'ed double bass kit also takes up the same floor space as a standard 5-6 piece single bass kit with conventional tripods all over the place. Any setup with 5 cymbals or more that i play gets the rack setup. If im going really small, 4 cymbals, single bass, i use tripods.

diatribedbl001.jpg

I'm wondering if I should start saving up to invest in a rack. Basically, I've got 4 cymbals (not including hats) but I am gonna add about 2 or 3 more soon, and I'm wondering if a rack would be worth it. Although they do seem really expensive...

This topic was pretty much how I joined the forum. I have three mounted toms, four crashes, two chinas, a ride, and three splashes. I posted my question about a rack and got mixed answers, so I sought out to buy one.

I've honestly never been happier. My setup time has been cut in half, and its not THAT much heavier (if any) to carry around than all of the stands that I had. Not to mention that my set just looked a little ridiculous with 1,000 clamps holding all of my crap on stands. All of my stuff (stands, holders, rack, etc) breaks down to fit inside two of my stand bags, when before I was using three to carry all of my stuff. It's also a LOT easier when someone else has to set up your kit for you, because everything is already in place.

The one issue that people constantly barrage is cost. A lot of people overlook the same wisdom that we all accept for cymbals: used. I found a guy that had a Pearl Icon rack, three sided, with about 10 clamps, that he had used once for a festival and didn't need again. I walked away with that rack for $200. I'd say that's worth every penny, no?

If you think a rack is for you, then I'd say keep your eyes peeled for a good used one. I've seen many on craigslist and Ebay that go for around 200, including all the clamps you could dream of!

I'll try to get some pics up this next weekend of it!

In reference to how a rack can not save time: the answer is in your response - can the rack be transported as is? If you own a truck or van, generally yes you can transport the rack as is. In my car, however, I usually have to tear the rack down to individual bars. Putting those bars back together takes some time. I also can't transport the cymbal holders or tom arms on it. More time taken reclamping all of those on there. So you don't necessarily take *more* time than stands to set up a rack, but possibly just as much if you have to break down and set back up to that level every time.

In reference to how a rack can not save time: the answer is in your response - can the rack be transported as is? If you own a truck or van, generally yes you can transport the rack as is. In my car, however, I usually have to tear the rack down to individual bars. Putting those bars back together takes some time. I also can't transport the cymbal holders or tom arms on it. More time taken reclamping all of those on there. So you don't necessarily take *more* time than stands to set up a rack, but possibly just as much if you have to break down and set back up to that level every time.

Very true. If you don't have a way to keep your rack at least partially set up during transport, its probably not worth it. I'm able to keep mine (holders and all) in a big box/case, so setting up literally means unfolding it and putting drums and cymbals on it. Take that for set up time! It takes me longer to get things out of the cases and those put away lol

is that actually yours latz? /drool

Yes, thanks..

al, I hope you are using memory locks, if not, you are in for a lot more time....

My kit posted above can be set up in 30 minutes, mics, electronics, cymbals, drums and all.. it usually takes me 45 though...

well yeah, but that's the same with most things. context changes how well various equipment stacks up. but if you have a van, then it's very good.

If you have memory-clamped everything, including the vertical legs, and you know which tom/cymbal arm has to go in which clamp, it wouldn't take so much time?
And you need time to put your stands on the right place, especially if you have many stands on a small piece of floor. I always have problems with that with my hi-hat stand, effectcymbal stand, and piccolo tom stand (look at the first pic in post 20 of the thread in my signature), so I'm considering buying a Gibraltar Stealth rack for that.

Bram

If you have memory-clamped everything, including the vertical legs, and you know which tom/cymbal arm has to go in which clamp, it wouldn't take so much time?
And you need time to put your stands on the right place, especially if you have many stands on a small piece of floor. I always have problems with that with my hi-hat stand, effectcymbal stand, and piccolo tom stand (look at the first pic in post 20 of the thread in my signature), so I'm considering buying a Gibraltar Stealth rack for that.

Bram

It still physically takes time to get the tom arm out of the case.... put it in the clamp.... close the clamp.... tighten the clamp... make sure the clamp is tight (this is an important step!)

It would also help to explain that I'm basing this off of my experiences setting up a nine-piece kit with 11 cymbals supported by two side racks (no center bar - that took even longer). When I have to mount the tom arms and cymbal holders onto that, plus assemble the rack, only a magic hourglass can make it go much faster. And I have done it with stands as well - it's really not much difference when the kit is that large.

I Luv my rack. I've done 100's of shows with it and it saves time geting on and off the stage. Been using it for years. But the Con's are when recording, when you hit a cymbal it makes the rack vibrate a little. And somtimes you can hear it in the tom mic.

os8uog.jpg

v4xqjc.jpg

2ufqavs.jpg

alomrb.jpg

Don't mind the kit it needs a cleaning.

It sure does take time. Takes me about one minute to remove the main section from my hardware bag [foot tubes stay connected to the upright tubes], assemble it, and add the side arms, another three or so to put all the cymbal & tom holders in. [The clamps stay on the rack tubes, obviously, and all the holders have memory locks.] Then, other than throne, hh stand, & snare stand, which are all marked off with tape on my rug, I'm done. So setting it all up is definitely a lot faster than regular stands for me. I don't have a huge setup so I'm not saving any transport weight, but definitely a lot of time due to not fine-tweaking individual stands. [This one needs to go up a little, that one to the right some, the other one up some, now the 1st one needs to come back down a little now, that last one needs to have the feet rotated, etc.] If I could find a hard case long enough for the upright tubes & main crossbar and wide enough to leave all the holders in the clamps, it would take even less time. All total, if I get to the gig either before my bandmates arrive or after they're done so that either way they're out of my way, it takes me about 20 minutes from pulling up the car to completely finished if I hurry, 30-35 if I sorta meander & take my time. This includes mics & cables.

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=602880&postcount=145

I don't have a huge setup

Well, I do. In my case, because I do, I experience no noticeable difference in setup times between stands and a rack that I have to assemble from tubes every time I move it. My kit involves seven tom arms, fourteen cymbal arms, two snare stands, two hi hat stands, and a gong drum. Figuring five minutes to assemble the rack from tubes, and two minutes per attachment, by the time I attach the hardware alone, I'm up to 47 minutes. Then I still have to mount the drums and cymbals themselves.

Since neither of us appears able to back off of what we believe to be the case, let us agree to disagree and I'll stop defending my position, since it apparently can't be true, despite the fact that I've been gigging with my large setup and my rack for twenty years now, and know fairly well how long it takes me to set it up.

Since neither of us appears able to back off of what we believe to be the case, let us agree to disagree and I'll stop defending my position, since it apparently can't be true, despite the fact that I've been gigging with my large setup and my rack for twenty years now, and know fairly well how long it takes me to set it up.

LOL. it can obviously be true, you're the one with the monster kit, not us! :)

I've been a "rack guy" for a very long time. Even now that I use a 4pc. kit for most of my gigs I can not live with out my rack, especially now that I have the Gibraltar Stealth rack. I break it down completely. The rack goes in one bag on wheels, the cymbal arms, HH stand, throne base, snare basket, all go in another bag on wheels. As for set-up time I set my rack up a little quicker than if I used free standing hardware, mainly because everything is memory locked and in the same place everytime, I don't have to mess around with the width of a cymbal stand making sure it's in the right spot, although tape or a sharpie could fix that. The second image is of a bigger set up on the right side.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0043_low res.JPG
    IMG_0043_low res.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,057
  • IMG_0013_lo res.JPG
    IMG_0013_lo res.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,063
  • IMG_0184_lo res.JPG
    IMG_0184_lo res.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,057
two minutes per attachment

Of course your position can be true- that's probably why. I have all mine memory locked and they take about 20 seconds each.

Back