iPad; Your thoughts about it

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I like it.
I haven't held it yet. I watched the Apple vid. Looks interesting.
User friendly. I liked the keyboard.

Ipad? Is that an electonic feminine napkin?

I watched the entire 1:32:00 presentation and speaking as one who has too many Apple gadgets now, this one I have no interest in. At face value for what it does the pricing is good, but I already have an iPhone and although smaller, it will do everything the iPad will do. In order to use it out side of the house you would need to find a WiFi hotspot or pay AT & T for monthly 3G service which I have on my phone. I would like to see them put the iPad on the same account as the iPhone at a second phone rate of maybe 9.99 per month. It has no camera, no phone, only one speaker that I could see so no stereo sounds even with great HD video. I was a bit disappointed but for 500.00 I'm sure they will sell a lot of the base model. Some called it an overprices digital picture frame.

And Larry you are close. The next bigger model will be called the Max-iPad. Cheers.

Only use for it would be in studios or gigs where you had to read alot of notes. Instead of using all that paper, you could flip through your iPad in no time. Other than that? Naah..

I think the potential for music apps is really cool. Even if music publishers started publishing text books with built in video examples/audio examples. that would be really cool.

Also I could see some apps that would turn it into a control surface for a recording program, or even a customizable abelton live controller.

It would also be cool to have a setlist-metronome app with all the songs and tempos listed and you can start the click track with a touch of the song title.

I would really like to see a good comic book reader for this too.

I already have an iphone and a macbook pro so I don't really have a need for this, but I will wait and see how it is in person, and see what new stuff will come as far as apps.

One of the big drawbacks I see is no external USB port for a hard drive. To get anything put on the iPad you have to go to the wireless Apple App store. If you want something put on your computer that is not at the Apple App store, you can't load it on, or you can if it's formated to move over a wireless network and email it. Pity. Maybe next model? Yeah, the Maxi iPad!!

I feel the same way as many of you.
The iPad is kind of in between an iphone and a MacBook.
I don't think that I will buy one because I already have a 3G phone and a MacBook computer.
My MacBook can do everything that the iPad can do. My MacBook is not bulky. I bring it everywhere that I go and I use it everyday. I like the flip up screen and the keyboard on my MacBook better than I would like the Pad screen and touch keyboard on the iPad.
I can use my MacBook while laying down on my favorite leather couch while watching TV after a hard days work. The iPad will be difficult to use that way.
I check emails and surf the web on my LG Dare phone during the day while I am at work. My phone is also my navigation device when I drive. My phone can access files from my sleeping computer when I need them. I text and email from my phone.
If I want to read or watch a movie during lunch I break out my MacBook.
I don't think that I really have a need for the iPad.

I feel the same way as many of you.
I don't think that I will buy one because I already have a 3G phone and a MacBook computer.
My MacBook can do everything that the iPad can do. My MacBook is not bulky. I bring it everywhere that I go and I use it everyday. I like the flip up screen and the keyboard on my MacBook better than I would like the Pad screen and touch keyboard on the iPad.
I can use my MacBook while laying down on my favorite leather couch while watching TV after a hard days work. The iPad will be difficult to use that way.
I check emails and surf the web on my LG Dare phone during the day while I am at work. My phone is also my navigation device when I drive. My phone can access files from my sleeping computer when I need them. I text and email from my phone.
If I want to read or watch a movie during lunch I break out my MacBook.
I don't think that I really have a need for the iPad.

I think this is one of those times when it would be better to wait until better versions come out.

I can't believe you can't Multitask on it!! So you can only have one program open at a time? Ridiculous.

I'll wait for the next version to come out and see what it's like.

Perhaps the iPad can have an app for the Wii? Call it the iClean?

The iPod touch is kind of in between an iPhone and a MacBook.

I guess that's the problem with rumor and hype, you end up disappointed.

"No expectations, no disappointments."

I can't believe you can't Multitask on it!! So you can only have one program open at a time? Ridiculous.

This is by far the single biggest problem with the iPhone and iPod Touch. The fact that they still haven't fixed it definitely puts me off even considering buying one. I don't have an iPhone, but even on my iPod touch, this is an extremely annoying "feature"; I have to close one app to check another. The only thing that can run in the background is the music player.

One of the big drawbacks I see is no external USB port for a hard drive. To get anything put on the iPad you have to go to the wireless Apple App store. If you want something put on your computer that is not at the Apple App store, you can't load it on, or you can if it's formated to move over a wireless network and email it. Pity. Maybe next model? Yeah, the Maxi iPad!!

Seriously? No USB? How do you connect peripherals to it? Like say a midi controller. Some other kind of proprietary connection that you'll always need an adapter for? Firewire?

And again, really? What year is this?

They worked on this for over a year and the Macrumor.com site was constantly commenting on what people would like to see but Apple in it's own nearsighted way
ignored all of that and got excited about a built in Contacts app. Whoopee. My iphone is always with me. It has my contacts on it. I can't call on the iPad so my contacts are good only for email. Let down, let down. And if I wanted a book reader I would have bought a Kindle by now.

Definitely underwhelming. No camera, relatively small storage capacity, no multitasking. I wonder if it will still be limited in online video viewing capabilities (as the iPhone is).

Also, the have a lot of balls charging extra for 3G considering the data limitations with AT&T already.

I'm a mac/iphone/ipod etc... owner, and lover, but this thing kind of seems redundant to me. Maybe the next few versions will improve.

Sorry, I meant to say no USB port for an external drive, CD, DVD, or hard drive. All the ports are designed for "Apple only" devices, or standard ports for a digital camera or video. And you must by apps from the legit Apple App store. Or email them to yourself. However if the email is too big for the email server, you are SOL. The screen is 9.7 inches measured diagonally, which is fairly large, think of it as a big iPhone.

I'm not impressed. I'll wait for the next generation Maxi iPad.

Definitely underwhelming. No camera, relatively small storage capacity, no multitasking. I wonder if it will still be limited in online video viewing capabilities (as the iPhone is).

Also, the have a lot of balls charging extra for 3G considering the data limitations with AT&T already.

I'm a mac/iphone/ipod etc... owner, and lover, but this thing kind of seems redundant to me. Maybe the next few versions will improve.

Like the iPhone it doesn't support Flash, so it is just a book reading iPod Touch. I also thought they could give iPhone customers a second phone price on the 3G part for maybe 9.99 but oh well. The gadgeteers will spend the 500.00 for the entry level just to have one.

Back