Chris Pennie

Mr. Bananagrabber said:
hmm, i don't agree with this. I don't think his blast beats are weak, I think he just has a better grasp of dynamics than most metal drummers.
Also, I have a feeling he co-founded DEP with Ben W (guitarist) but i could be wrong.

He was the co-founder of DEP as you said. But, i don't think it matters if he can do blast beats at all. His drumming sets him apart from other metal/hardcore/thrash/whatever drummers because he doesn't use traditional techniques. He incoporates styles from other genres, such as jazz and latin, that wouldn't expect to see in a metal band and he does it extremely well. That's why he's one of my favorite drummers. He doesn't pigeonhole himself into playing just one style of music because that's the genre he's in. That's what seperates a good drummer from a great drummer imo.

Stu_Strib said:
I've never heard them, but I just sampled them on iTunes, after reading all the discussions about the singer. I like this band a lot! It is very intense for sure.

If you haven't got it already, get yourself "Pig Latin", that's one hell of a funny song. Also "Hollywood Squares" and "When good dogs do bad things".

The stuff off Calculating Infinity is cool, but nothing like as hilarious as the stuff with Patton on it..

Nice find! ive never seen that one

that was some serious jamming

finnhiggins said:
If you haven't got it already, get yourself "Pig Latin", that's one hell of a funny song. Also "Hollywood Squares" and "When good dogs do bad things".

"Pig Latin" is my favorite tune, along with "When good dogs do bad things."

In my opinion, Mike Patton is nothing more than a genius vocalist; I can't get enough of him and it would be a dream come true if he joined permanantly DEP.

Although I've been listening to the genre for some time now, I've definately got into these "wierdo" styles of metal (DEP, SiKth, Psykup...) lately - I just love the "WTF!? effect" and the creativity involved. The drummers in these bands are real sources of inspiration, in DEP's case, Chris Pennie's versatlilty, that way he shifts from chaos to groovery, is brilliant.

On a side note, the main riff ("Your mother *Jinga!* your father *Jinga!*...) of "Pig Latin" is the ringtone on my cellphone. Everytime I get a call people turn around giving me a wierd look!

Regards,
Christopher.

Last edited:
Supposedly Pennie is now drumming for Coheed and Cambria as well. Not a big fan of Coheed but I think I might start listening just to hear what he brings to the band.

Supposedly Pennie is now drumming for Coheed and Cambria as well. Not a big fan of Coheed but I think I might start listening just to hear what he brings to the band.
(Even though this is a few months old) I was actually thinking the same thing. Amazing drummer, my current favorite along with Tomas Haake

Does anybody know if Chris is working on anything except the new Dillinger album? I know he's recorded drum parts for other bands (All else Failed, Idiot Pilot) and I heard he's redording the drum parts for the new Coheed and Cambria album.

Anybody know what he's up to?

Sadly, Chris Pennie has officially left Dillinger, or at least they make it seem that way. Gil Sharone is taking over for at least the recording duties. You can read more about it here. I wonder if Pennie will still play the live shows?

I think Sharone is a terrific drummer, but I don't know if he can bring to Dillinger what Pennie did. I guess we'll see what happens when their album comes out this fall. I was really looking forward to hearing Chris Pennie on the new album though.

Last edited:
I, too, am curious to see how Pennie fits into Coheed and Cambria. Being a big fan of Coheed's departed drummer, Josh Eppard, I'm having a hard time imagining the combination of Pennie's more frenetic style with Coheed's classic/prog music.

I'm trying to keep an open mind...

I'd also like to hear more from Eppard.

Dude, this is going to sound like total BS, but Chris was the drummer in a band I was in many moons ago (before both Coheed and TDEP). At the time I had taken a break from the drums to play front man for a spell. All I can say is, don't let the speed fool you. He is an amazing drummer. Even back then he displayed dynamics and talent like no other drummer. I have a good story about him on my blog, check it out!

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog&pop=1&ping=1

This is not a spam ambush I assure you!

Dude, this is going to sound like total BS, but Chris was the drummer in a band I was in many moons ago (before both Coheed and TDEP). At the time I had taken a break from the drums to play front man for a spell. All I can say is, don't let the speed fool you. He is an amazing drummer. Even back then he displayed dynamics and talent like no other drummer. I have a good story about him on my blog, check it out!

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog&pop=1&ping=1

This is not a spam ambush I assure you!

Dude that IS total BS, i know the band eighthnerve (i saw brett last night) and they have nothing to do with chris pennie, will has always been their drummer. They are great, i can't believe i just found a post about them! even if it was BS.

Anyway, i am so annoyed that chris has left DEP... for coheed? come on! i'm Gil will be sick but its just so disappointing.

hearing calculating infinity you can tell his blastbeats are a bit weak, which is not really criticism, but indicates to me judging from his blasts as compared to everything else that his background in learning drums was not primarily metal or hardcore.

so i think most of his unique playing has to do with him looking from outside the box, in a sense. i bet he started liking fusion and jazz music then later joined dillinger when it was an ordinary hardcore band. then that band allowed him to really apply that other source of learning.

this is just a theory.

definately one of my favorite drummers

Define "weak" here, please?

Chris Pennie is one of my favorite drummers. I love his use of single stroke rolls, they are so fast and clean. He is very creative, and makes his kit sound twice as big as his actual setup.

Hello. I just wanted to mention that the transcription of the Sugar Coated Sour intro on Chris Pennie's Drummerworld page is incorrect. The first bar is right, but the second bar is 6/4 not 5/4, there are two notes missing!

Back