Super Kick II vs Powersonic

Mr Orange

I am ready to buy SK II for my 22 kick. Is there any reason for me to also check out Powersonic?

Thanks for any input.

//Jörgen

I didn't like my powersonic at all. Tuned high, it has an almost ringy sound that sound terrible. Tuned low, the head gives way too much, and it makes it very hard for fast footwork and double bass playing. Tuned medium, it has a low thud that really doesn't sound musical at all.

The only thing that it might be good for is heavy metal, but compared to the superkick, it's terrible in my opinion.

You should definitely consider checking out the EMADs. Several different options available to fit your needs.
Yes EMADS are compareable to superkick (although not quite as good IMO) but not powersonic.

Have to put in my two cents here. I bought a SK2 because my buddy told me it was the best, well I guess I was expecting the best and IMO it certainly was not. Sure it's a durable head but unless you play it miced you can't hear it.. I played it at home and the muffling was too much. I could hardly hear it. PS3 all the way, or an emad 4 or 3. I figure get a head with less dampening, you can always add but its hard to take it away if it's already built in.. Hear what I'm laying down?

I use both the SK I and SKII.
I find that I like them best when they are tuned slightly tight.
I like the SK I on my bass drum with a Un-ported reso head.
I use the SK II on my ported bass drums.

I am very happy with the SK heads.
They are slightly lower when it comes to volume than many other heads that I have played.
I don't have a problem with that.
I don't have to mic in most cases because I don't play in extremely loud bands.
I play mostly smaller venues.

Have to put in my two cents here. I bought a SK2 because my buddy told me it was the best, well I guess I was expecting the best and IMO it certainly was not. Sure it's a durable head but unless you play it miced you can't hear it.. I played it at home and the muffling was too much. I could hardly hear it. PS3 all the way, or an emad 4 or 3. I figure get a head with less dampening, you can always add but its hard to take it away if it's already built in.. Hear what I'm laying down?

PS3 1 ply with ring and sk2 2 ply with foam ring are different heads.
The sk1 is comparable to the emad. The sk1 rocks it's not over boomy like the ps3 and still has focus (assuming no muffling in the kick drum).

I've ordered a SK II. I'll let you know what I think when I used it for a while. Thanks for your input. A friend of mine recommended it because I wanted a tight and muffled sound.

//Jörgen

I've played SuperKick I and II. The SKII seems really dead to me. Too muffled, and not a whole lot of volume. Maybe it needs to be cranked a little tighter?

The SKI has more punch, more life. While I like the durability of a two-ply BD head, I don't think I'll ever play one again.

Back