DW 9000 double pedal thoughts?

mybloodispure

I just bought a DW 9000 double pedal on eBay for $340 and I was wondering if anyone has had first hand experience with it and what your thoughts are about it. I've been recently getting into metal music so I went with this pedal.

Last edited:
Well I don't know about OCD... but, 9000's are one of the best pedals out there imo, so congrats! Ive always used dw pedals and lately have been digging my 5000 turbo double...but I just revisited my 9000 double yesterday and it is far superior playing pedal to the 5000. I guess one critique of the 9000 is that there's so many adjustments you really have to experiment a lot to get it good...but once you have it it's one of the best!

great pedal the DW9000 double pedal.

Just put some tape over the pedal.

Or just make sure you're wearing matching shoes.

Unless your wearing different shoes, then I'm gonna argue the pedals will look identical when you're looking down on them anyway.

Your feet are covering the things!! You won't be able to tell the difference, let alone anyone else.

If you're looking to change because the ones you have now are broken, not up to the job or you're simply after a different feel, I'm all for it. But just to get the footboards to match.......the same footboards that sit out of sight behind your kit........the same footboards that get covered by your size 10's anyway? That's a level of OCD that I'll just never understand.

Last edited:
Great pedal. I have had one for several months with the round cam and strap drive and I love it. The hi-hat stand has a very different feel from the Iron Cobras I tried when purchasing, but I much prefer the 9000. If you like the action of the Cobra, just do the tape thing. No big deal.

Much of my hardware is DW. I have the DW9000 single pedal. However, I use Trick Dominator double pedals. The Trick pedals and the DW9000 HH don't even have the same finish or color, so they definitely look mismatched. Definitely looks insane, yet I don't look down there enough to even notice - as performance was my objective.

If the Tama HH serves you well, save the $$ and get a new cymbal or something. I have both the DW9000 and DW5000 2 leg HH's, and they're not cheap.
I've heard the DW9000 doubles are buttery smooth...many love them here.

Just don't think about it as one unit. It's the best components suited to fit your needs and complete your set. Do like car guys do with their cars, "got a Edelbrock carb, Hooker headers, Holly fuel pump, 4.11 gears in a 9 bolt and she runs the quarter in 8.75"....you get the idea. It's not that the parts don't match, it's how well they work together.

I have OCD a bit also, so I get it.

I have one and it's a great pedal, my advice is when it comes to playing with the infinite adjustments start with one and try it for a few days to see how it feels then make another adjustment if necessary. For me I found I preferred the strap over the chain and I also prefer the round danmar felt beater to the stock DW 2way beater..

I have a DW 9002 double pedal. I have to say that it is a smooth pedal. I have left it pretty much on factory settings and I am good. I might mess around with other beaters some day, but I am good for now.

I did think that I wanted a Tama Speed Cobra a little while back. I got a great deal on a new one, but before it arrived, I had a change of heart after playing with a few in the store. I felt that it was nice, and I liked the idea of the long boards, but given the choice between Speed Cobras, and Iron Cobras, I might be more tempted to go Iron Cobra.

I could probably be happy with either the Iron Cobras or the 9000s. The 9002 is VERY nice though. I am not trying to set any speed records anymore. I am currently playing in a stoner doom band. So I am not doing any sustained running double bass work. But for what I am using it for, it works great!

Good luck!

The stock beaters are too heavy, they aren't positioned evenly on the bass drum so you get different notes between left and right (can be good or bad), and the slave pedal does feel a tiny bit different to the master. I have the stock settings and I find the left beater wants to bury a bit, never had that problem with my iron cobras, demon drives or falcons. Maybe it's just me/my settings that needs to change, not really a problem though, just something I notice.

On the plus side, super smooth, really solid build and very nice to look at.

I use a Yamaha hi hat along with my DW9000 kick pedal.

Ya - the foot boards look different, but they're each good at what they do, so it doesn't really bother me.

Checked out a 9002 pedal in a store yesterday. Felt really nice! I may have to reconsider DW pedals for the future. I used them exclusively from about 1980 until 2001, and then swore them off.

JMO I own a bunch of pedals including DW 9000, and honestly it's not that great in comparison and "bang for the buck". Its a good pedal. I prefer my old 5000 AD. In fact, I bought a used Pearl pedal for $15 which retails for around $60, which I prefer over the 9000.

Very rarely do I find a pedal that doesn't perform well, anymore. Most are quite good.

I owned the 9000s for a while. Very smooth, nice action. I really liked the way they played once I switched out the heavy DW beater for a lighter Yamaha felt beater. I hated the bulky heel-plate/hinge design, that's why I got rid of them. Unless you play 100% heel up they felt strange under my feet. My Yamaha 9310's felt more comfortable to me. Adjusting the slave pedal was a huge pain also.

i have been playing the 9000 for about 3 years and love them and no your not OCD about your pedals.... now in my case im a bit OCD after i bought the 9000's i bought the 5000 hi hat pedals and it really bugged my that my pedals didnt match even tho they were the same brand...... so you guessed it i bought the 9000 hi hat stand, and to top it off i use a remote hihat so i bought the 9000 even tho it cost twice as much but i think it was well worth it... looking down at my pedals is bad ass seeing them all the same. I know but fuck its my money and my OCD!

I'm gonna sound biased but the DW 9000 pedal is really great. I use DW 5000 and I've used a DW 9000 single and it's just so smooth. I would say that the closest comp to it would be those new TAMA Speed Cobra pedals. I wish that DW would make a 9000 direct drive pedal for even more smooth and quick response. The 9000 chain is already fast, but with a direct drive system I think it would blow any competitor out of the water.
I don't think your crazy for wanting a DW 9000 hi-hat to match, I'm sure you'd be able to get a deal for the Iron Cobra you already have, in order for you to acquire a DW 9000 hi-hat...

Back