The kick port on pearl traveler kit, anyone?

Overg

Hi,
I want to try and buy the Kickport and put it on my Pearl Traveler kit bass drum, as it sounds as if it could really change (for good..) the sound of this bass drum.
But giving the weird size of the drum (20X8...), what do you think ?
Anyone try it ?
could it kill the sound completely ?
Thanks

Check out my thread on the RT kit, We pretty much covered everything. I tried a homemade version of the Kickport but I wasn't impressed with it. I made it out of a cardboard tube just to try it out. A mic does the trick at a gig just fine.
I use a 3 1/2 porthole on my RT bass. I don't use the stock bass drum reso anymore. The stock reso is as thin as a snare bottom head and it has no muffle system. I swapped it for a high end pearl black logo reso head with a damper around the perimeter. I use an SK I for a bass batter.
I also use the Aquarian Studio-X coated heads on the toms. They are the best that I have tried so far and I tried several tom heads.
Link http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51321
I still love my RT! I leave it at a band mates house and I play it at practice twice a week. I will use it again this summer for small gigs. I have a Tama Stagestar now and I am using that kit a lot also. I love that small inexpensive kit too!
Another great addition that I made to both my RT and my Stagestar is I bought a used 13 x 5.5 Mapex Black Panther maple snare. It was just over $140 used. A great snare for an excellent price!

Last edited:
Check out my thread on the RT kit, We pretty much covered everything. I tried a homemade version of the Kickport but I wasn't impressed with it. I made it out of a cardboard tube just to try it out. A mic does the trick at a gig just fine.
I use a 3 1/2 porthole on my RT bass. I don't use the stock bass drum reso anymore. The stock reso is as thin as a snare bottom head and it has no muffle system. I swapped it for a high end pearl black logo reso head with a damper around the perimeter. I use an SK I for a bass batter.
I also use the Aquarian Studio-X coated heads on the toms. They are the best that I have tried so far and I tried several tom heads.
Link http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51321
I still love my RT! I leave it at a band mates house and I play it at practice twice a week. I will use it again this summer for small gigs. I have a Tama Stagestar now and I am using that kit a lot also. I love that small inexpensive kit too!
Another great addition that I made to both my RT and my Stagestar is I bought a used 13 x 5.5 Mapex Black Panther maple snare. It was just over $140 used. A great snare for an excellent price!
Ahh!:)
well I love the RT as well, it solve so many problems, it is such a great kit, I was experimenting with it as well, actually it was very enjoyable to read the thread on the kit, you did a really nice job there.

I switched the snare to something pro, to Sonor S classix, this is in completely other league :)

But I am still not satisfied with the toms sound and the bass drum, that why I was looking for the Kick port , if what they say in the site is correct, then it should add to the bass drum exactly what it is missing. ( I put on the batter side power stroke from Remo . which changed the sound for good..))

What is the sound of the toms with the Aquarian heads? ( I might try them..), isn't it chocking the sound? I tried the evens G2, and it totally ruined the sound.
Today I use Remo Ambassador on the toms, and it opens the sound a bit, it is nice, but not perfect.

Just checked the Aquarian site : is this the one you talked about ? :
Studio-X™ Texture Coated:
A coated, single ply, Studio-X™ drumhead. Our Satin Finish™ texture coating gives the drumhead a firm attack and extra warmth.

Here is a sample that I did for forum member Pollyanna with the Studio-X Coated on the 12 inch Traveler tom.

Attachments

• Aquarian Studio-x 12 RT tesr.mov
    1.3 MB · Views: 172
That was a "Studio-X Coated without the power dot" on the sound sample.
The RT kit is never going to sound like a standard size kit.
The bass drum on the RT does make a good thump and it also can produce a decent boom sound. I was surprised at how well the RT bass drum played when I put good heads on it.
The RT stock heads are about the worse that I have ever played!

That was a "Studio-X Coated without the power dot" on the sound sample.
The RT kit is never going to sound like a standard size kit.
The bass drum on the RT does make a good thump and it also can produce a decent boom sound. I was surprised at how well the RT bass drum played when I put good heads on it.
The RT stock heads are about the worse that I have ever played!

yeah I figured that... what head did you put on the resonant side?

yeah I figured that... what head did you put on the resonant side?
That sound sample was the Studio-X on the 12 inch tom. No resonate head on that drum.

I use an SK I on the bass batter and a Pearl Logo Resonate head. See my first post in the thread.
Sorry about the misunderstanding. I changed the subject in the end of my last post #6 when I spoke of the bass drum sound.

That sound sample was the Studio-X on the 12 inch tom. No resonate head on that drum.

I use an SK I on the bass batter and a Pearl Logo Resonate head. See my first post in the thread.
Sorry about the misunderstanding. I changed the subject in the end of my last post #6 when I spoke of the bass drum sound.

Since I am almost sure that I won't be able to get a Pearl Resonate head (with logo..) what is the equivalent in the major companies like Remo or Evans?

I would get the Aquarian Super Kick II head pack that comes with a batter and a resonate head in the box. That will work perfect!
http://www.samash.com/p/20 Super Kick II Bass Drum Head Pre Pack_-49970687
You will get an SKII batter and also an Aquarian resonate head along with a kick pad in the package.

You can also get the SKI bass head pack with the single ply batter for a lighter sound. You get both heads just like the SKII pack but the batter is a single ply head.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Aquaria...Bass-Drum-Head-Pre-Pack-100002721-i1141568.gc

Last edited:
I would get the Aquarian Super Kick II head pack that comes with a batter and a resonate head in the box. That will work perfect!
http://www.samash.com/p/20 Super Kick II Bass Drum Head Pre Pack_-49970687
You will get an SKII batter and also an Aquarian resonate head along with a kick pad in the package.

You can also get the SKI bass head pack with the single ply batter for a lighter sound. You get both heads just like the SKII pack but the batter is a single ply head.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Aquaria...Bass-Drum-Head-Pre-Pack-100002721-i1141568.gc

Thanks! I will check it :)

Back