Remo user trying Evans for the first time... Thoughts...

Here are a couple of shots from my phone. The first two pics are Coated Emperors on one drum, the last is a Coated Vintage Emperor...described above.

Attachments

• 2012-10-22_19-34-47_211-1.jpg
    2012-10-22_19-34-47_211-1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 2012-10-22_19-34-58_183-1.jpg
    2012-10-22_19-34-58_183-1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 314
  • 2012-10-22_19-34-05_514-1.jpg
    2012-10-22_19-34-05_514-1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 310
I'll try to remember to take some pics tonight, but I got a new Pearl Sensitone Aluminum snare drum last Friday and it came stock with an Ambassador on top and bottom. At that same time, I bought Emperors for the toms on my Ludwig set. I already had a brand new in the box Emperor for the Supra snare.

So, they really have just about the same amount of play time on them (4 days) and the Emperor on the Supra is much more worn than the Ambassador on the new Pearl. It's even more worn than your pic, zambizzi!

Of course, the toms are still pretty good, but I don't hit those much anyway. LOL

Re: Remote user trying Evans for the first time... Thoughts...

The Evans Power Center Reverse Dot is a great sounding snare batter head. I use it on all my snare drums except two of them. They sound great live and recorded. Just recently I listened to a snare drum batter head shootout. They were testing about eight different batter heads. I believe they were using a Ludwig Black Beauty as the reference drum which was sampled by a Shure SM57. Out of all the heads that were demoed, I and several other people picked the Reverse Dot head as being in the top two or three. Most of my snare drums happen to be wooden shells of some make or another, maple, bubinga and mahogany/poplar/mahogany.

This was originally recorded in March 2008.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...otout.html?highlight=snare+drum+head+shootout

Dennis

Sorry to resurrect an old thread - but I was thinking of trying Evans again.

I could spot the difference between the Evans and Remo heads a mile off. I instantly knew track 3 was an an ambassador coated. Thats the one that sounds best to me. I agree with the OP that evans heads on snares just sound dull. Easy to tune, durable and consistent, but dull, dull, dull.

Whats the problem with any coating coming off anyway? I never noticed it causing a problem with the sound?

I could spot the difference between the Evans and Remo heads a mile off. I instantly knew track 3 was an an ambassador coated. Thats the one that sounds best to me. I agree with the OP that evans heads on snares just sound dull. Easy to tune, durable and consistent, but dull, dull, dull.

Whats the problem with any coating coming off anyway? I never noticed it causing a problem with the sound?

Unfortunately, this test didn't include a G1 or G12, which would be the responsive, open/resonant snare sound that you seem to prefer.

+1- I've never noticed any sound difference if some coating has worn off, but also find Remo's sound (on my snares and toms) to sing very well.

I'm curious why people generally limit head discussion to Remo and Evans. Remo and Evans are both really good so I'm not being negative, but there are others as well from smaller companies like Aquarian. Is part of the reason just a name recognition thing or is it an availability thing,or a cost thing?

I know this forum is world wide so all heads may not be available to all the world (yet) so I just thought Id ask the question. ;-)

Agree with why we limit to just Remo and Evans. Aquarian have been using that folded collar "technology" for awhile now and they do make great heads (i.e. SuperKicks and Super 2 heads). That being said, I used Evans heads for a long time (G1s, G2s, EC2s, EMADs, and everything in between) and recently switched back to Remo. Although I do think Remo heads are a tad less durable, they tend to sing much more and sound much livelier than Evans heads. Now, I don't know if that's just an immediacy effect of playing Evans for so long, even though I originally played Remo heads for the first few years of drumming. But in my opinion, Emperors will sing much more than G2s, Coated Ambassadors will have more tone than coated G1s, etc. I do, however, love Evans EMADs BD heads much more than what Remo offers for bass drums.

I think the gap between brands from 1 and 2 is huge down to 3 and 4. They are so much more common.

I realize this is only one source but online at Musicians Friend, they Have 168 Remo available, Evans 99, Aquarian, 56 and Attack 12. I looked these numbers up after making my origianal statement, and it is very true. I am even surprised at the Gap from Remo to Evans

Unfortunately, this test didn't include a G1 or G12, which would be the responsive, open/resonant snare sound that you seem to prefer.

Ahh, thanks. I have a 200 on the snare side on my DW snare at the moment. I noticed a lot of people talking about 300's, which Im assuming are a bit thicker and might be more appropriate for rock?

I just put a new ambassador on it batter side and I must say, Id forgotten how much of a bitch they are to seat. It seems you have to crack the glue ring, take them up to a higher pitch than Geddy Lee and then bring them back down to almost finger tight before you can even start to tune them up.

G1 on my Yammie snare next I think. See how that does. Thanks for the tip.

I used Evans heads for a long time (G1s, G2s, EC2s, EMADs, and everything in between) and recently switched back to Remo. Although I do think Remo heads are a tad less durable, they tend to sing much more and sound much livelier than Evans heads. Now, I don't know if that's just an immediacy effect of playing Evans for so long, even though I originally played Remo heads for the first few years of drumming. But in my opinion, Emperors will sing much more than G2s, Coated Ambassadors will have more tone than coated G1s, etc. I do, however, love Evans EMADs BD heads much more than what Remo offers for bass drums.

I totally agree with these statements. However, I must admit I have never tried Evans EMADS BD heads, so I can't compare there. That might be my next purchase for my practice kit and see how it goes.

Evans may make the best head on the planet for all I know, they sure are popular. But they have a sound that is distinct to me and I don't like that sound. Sounds card board and muffled to my ears.

Evans may make the best head on the planet for all I know, they sure are popular. But they have a sound that is distinct to me and I don't like that sound. Sounds card board and muffled to my ears.

Objection! Do you have any proof for what you are saying? I know I can't take your personal preference away from you but do you have any audio displaying what you are complaining about? I feel like the only difference between a G2 and an Emperor is the tune-ability. I do not have a source for this so correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard that both Remo and Evans buys their plastic from the same supplier.
Challenge: Close your eyes and watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_4he6qZHGc Tell me what brand each example was without watching the video. Same with this :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeiWHMZQF2Y

I can definitely tell the difference. I have used Evans heads for years up until recently. The Evan's heads give you a much warmer tone in my opinion and they are well rounded but as stated in a previous post on some drums atleast with G2's you get a cardboard box sound. I have never seen that problem with G1's though. In my recent studies (results may vary) The evans heads sound great low and they sound great from low to high on the rack tom and sound good low to medium on floor toms. Whereas Remo's both rack and floor toms sound great form Medium to high. I think I have recently gravitated towards the Remo's because I tend to like a medium tuning. I haven't tried a Remo bass head yet. Also I have never found an Evans Batter head that I have loved on my personal snares, and I have tried several. However I have tried them on other peoples snares and I like them.

Side note: I find that Remo heads give me more rebound. I read earlier where someone said the exact opposite.

Me personally I love having options and I love trying out several different things. But what it all comes down to for me is that Every drum set that I have owned always sounded best with a specific head combination most of the time I haven't been able to use the same combination with the same results from kit to kit.

I give mad props to Evans for their quality and innovation, and I give Remo props for giving us that industry standard sound. (Also I feel like Remo has stepped up their game on QC)

So I recently tried Evans again. Put coated G2s on a kit and played it for 2 months or so. I just can't stand what they do to the drum tone. So far when trying Evans heads a few times now, they always muffle up the tone to me. I realize some people swear by them, so don't take that personal. :)

Just today, I put a new fresh set of coated Ambassadors and bam, that's the sound I like FOR SURE. Using clear Vintage Emperors on my other set and they rock too.

Totally understand you. I can't really get another head than the Remo Controlled Sound. It's the perfect balance between overtones and muffling

Objection! Do you have any proof for what you are saying? I know I can't take your personal preference away from you but do you have any audio displaying what you are complaining about? I feel like the only difference between a G2 and an Emperor is the tune-ability. I do not have a source for this so correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard that both Remo and Evans buys their plastic from the same supplier.
Challenge: Close your eyes and watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_4he6qZHGc Tell me what brand each example was without watching the video. Same with this :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeiWHMZQF2Y

trouble is, these studio comparisons are like tuning at home. It all sounds great till you get to the gig and you are in a larger room.

I reckon the comparison would be more valuable done on a larger tom and with more standard sticks with a bigger tip.

I agree that the Evans sounded best on the 1st video though

So I moved the Evans coated G2s over to my oak set, which is bigger and louder sounding than the warm kapur set i had them on before and they work better. I'll give them a shot on that set for a bit.

It all depends on the drums, of course. Who knows... LOL

Tuning was different rom head to head in both videos. That makes comparison very difficult. Although the same head tension was used in the second video, as each head tensions differently, the end result is still a noticeable difference in tuning. If you're going to to a meaningful comparison, it's essential that the pitches are the same from one make to another, & preferably across a range of tunings.

Back