JoJo M - Perfect Balance Pedal - How does it play?

mikec

I saw one thread mentioning the Perfect Pedal by JoJo M.... But I wanted to ask you all how it plays for those of you who have one... I use a DW 9000 single and love it,

Thanks
Mike

Re: JoJo M - Perfect Pedal

I love mine. It's incredibly smooth and I have to remind myself to relax and stop "playing" it, and just let my foot do it's thing. I have played heel up for years and realized that it I let myself relax and play heel down, I can get the same speed and plenty of power playing heel down without the stress and energy output of heel up.

No double pedal available (and not on the horizon), so if you need double pedals then you need to look elsewhere.

If you have a drum shop nearby that has them in stock go try one out.

Thanks for the info BradGunnerSGT! I plan on going to my local GC and trying one out.

I tried them both briefly and ended up bringing home the DW9000. Wasn't really a long enough try though. I should have gone back a few times for fresh impressions.
The Perfect Pedal felt really good - just at that particular time, the DW felt better.

This thread reminded me of it again though, and I'm going to put my foot back on one next time I get to a store that has it, just to see how it feels after having used the DW for a while.

I just got the Perfect Balance pedal yesterday. Didn't get a chance to try it before I bought it online. Seemed like a cool thing but what I don't get is why they put such a cheap strap on it. I brought it to the gig and it started bottoming out right away. --Clicking on the bottom plate-- Are you supposed to shorten the strap or what? I suppose if I keep it I'll have to get some other strap to work but I wonder why the price is so high and with all the features they couldn't make it do the most basic function. I took it home and read the instructions, set it up again and same thing--clang clang--. What the Sam Hill? Anyone else have this problem? I don't know if it's worth all the effort.

They had issues with their 1st generation strap on those pedals. The new straps are said to work fine. Contact your dealer and have that strap swapped by the new version which should be provided for free.

When I bought mine a fellow drummer brought this strap aspect to my attention and opened the box (still while being at the store) to check which strap the pedal had. Luckily it already came with the new/improved strap.

Ah - and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold my Trick Pro 1V and DW 9000 after I bought the PB pedal. The PB pedal play incredibly smooth and I don't feel like I need to put in the effort I did with the DW 9000 and Trick. The round cam feels more natural to me. The DW 9000 played heavy to me, it felt clunky and I hated where they put the spring adjustment. The Trick pedal just kepton getting heavier feeling and took more effort the closer you go to the head. It does not play as smoothly or as effortlessly as the PB pedal.

I purchased my Sonor PB pedal as soon as they came out. I also received the replacement strap when they were sent out nd replaced it. The original issue strap had some stretch and sponginess to the feel. The replacement strap is perfect, very smooth, no sense of stretchiness.

I have seen a few people comment on the folding feature of the pedal and that it is difficuly to adjust to different hoop thicknesses. This is just sour grapes from people that have not actually owned and played this pedal. I have 5 kits some with great variations in bass drum hoop thickness and it takes a few seconds to adjust the pedal for the hoop thickness. No more than any other pedal where you need to turn the wingnut to clamp it to the hoop.

Most drum shops do a diservice to this pedal by not properly setting it up on a bass drum so people can try it out correctly. If you are interested in this pedal or just simply curious , go to your local drum shop put one on a drum set and give it a good work out.

Just to say that if there are issues with the strap and you can't get a replacement, finding good-quality straps on eBay are quite easy. They're quite inexpensive, too. I don't own a Perfect Balance pedal but I do own a strap-drive pedal and have a few replacements 'just in case'.

I'm a big fan of the design of this pedal. If I had the cash, I'd have one in an instant.

Hey, thanks guys for the tip. I bought it on ebay-no returns-- so I can't take it back to the dealer so I'll try to find a strap on ebay..any suggestions for brand etc? I used a rogers Swiv for years and remember the hassle with the leather. I also noticed that the second generation pedals have two washers on each side of the heel plate where mine has one on each side.

Hey, thanks guys for the tip. I bought it on ebay-no returns-- so I can't take it back to the dealer so I'll try to find a strap on ebay..any suggestions for brand etc? I used a rogers Swiv for years and remember the hassle with the leather. I also noticed that the second generation pedals have two washers on each side of the heel plate where mine has one on each side.

I had a1st generation strap and I went through the same thing you did. I contacted Sonor directly, explained in detail what happened and left my address in the email. A week later a package arrived from Sonor with two of the newer straps. Great customer service. No problems with the new strap.

Is there any visual difference in the old and new straps? If there is, could someone post some pictures comparing them.

Is there any visual difference in the old and new straps? If there is, could someone post some pictures comparing them.
I didn't notice a visual difference, both were black but the newer one seemed a bit firmer I think. What I can say is the issue came up, was resolved and never returned.

I had a1st generation strap and I went through the same thing you did. I contacted Sonor directly, explained in detail what happened and left my address in the email. A week later a package arrived from Sonor with two of the newer straps. Great customer service. No problems with the new strap.

I'll try contacting Sonor-that's good to know-- But I drill a hole in the strap about 3/4" and haven't noticed the problem again. I'll use it on the gig this weekend and give an update.
Thanks

About the Perfect Balance pedal I got a week ago. After the strap being a "first generation" that bottomed out, I got a gibralter one from a local store. It makes the pedal work fine after a week of gigs. Problem is that it doesn't fold down as it should due to the shorter strap. This being one of the big selling features for me is a drag. As it is now it's like another big pedal that takes up a lot of room in my hardware bag. I contacted a dealer in Portland that said he had the same problem and is going to send me the updated second generation strap from Sonor..
All in all I really like the feel and am hopeful that this issue will not carry on after I get the new strap.

About the Perfect Balance pedal I got a week ago. After the strap being a "first generation" that bottomed out, I got a gibralter one from a local store. It makes the pedal work fine after a week of gigs. Problem is that it doesn't fold down as it should due to the shorter strap. This being one of the big selling features for me is a drag. As it is now it's like another big pedal that takes up a lot of room in my hardware bag. I contacted a dealer in Portland that said he had the same problem and is going to send me the updated second generation strap from Sonor..
All in all I really like the feel and am hopeful that this issue will not carry on after I get the new strap.

Based on my experience, the new 2nd generation strap I received was the same length as the 1st generation strap so I'm sure yours will be also. Once on you should have no problems with folding it.

Took the plunge on the pedal- it is incredible. Smooth and fast. Does whatever I want it to and can even play flat footed doubles and triples. Can also do the JoJo bass pedal technique with ease (could not on my previous Pearl pedal). Highly recommend it.

Finally got the new updated Perfect Balance pedal strap. It is the same length as the original one. I used it on the gigs this weekend. It was perfect. No stretching and bottoming out so far. It folds down the way it's suppose to. Nice . I suppose I can use the gibralter straps I acquired in this saga on my old Gretsch pedal. Perfect Balance is a very smooth pedal.
Thanks a lot guys for all the advice. This is a great site.
Now to find a ride cymbal that I can love to use. My artisan Vault somehow has changed over the years and sounds a bit clangy.

Thanks guys

I had one for awhile when they first came out...Technically it's a good, smooth,fast, reliable pedal but honestly for me it just didn't have the power and volume I needed. I felt like I was mashing it into the head too much trying to get the volume...Honestly the good ole dw 5000 turbo feels great to me. A lot of power with a little amount of effort...

Back