Nylon... is it any better than wood?

The only advantage of nylon, in my opinion, is their longevity. The nylon tip won't get soft like a wooden tip over time. I like the sound of a wood tip better on cymbals, so that's why I choose to use them.

Dennis

They last much longer and have a brighter crisper sound on cymbals and hats which cuts much better in a band setting plus the difference in sound when alternating between the shoulder and tip is much more distinct, I have been using nothing but nylon for the last 15 years or so.

For me personally? Absolutely none.

I don't care for their harsh sound on a ride cymbal. I don't care for their bright "plasticky" attack on a snare batter. And a couple of light years ago when I actually used them, I found that it was common for the tips split and fly off anyway......pretty much negating any durability issues in the first place. I read that they're better these days, but as I can't stand 'em, I can't see myself being in a position to find out.

However, my own trial and error formed my opinion.....it shouldn't necessarily form yours. Buy a pair and see what you think.

The only advantage of nylon, in my opinion, is their longevity. The nylon tip won't get soft like a wooden tip over time. I like the sound of a wood tip better on cymbals, so that's why I choose to use them.

Dennis

I mainly would use nylon too because of longevity. I had used wood tips at one time and didn't know the tips split and had a sharp corner in them. Next order from Musicians Friend was a nylon tip pair of sticks and a new snare batter.

Now I just use the nylon for practice.

They do last much longer for me, about three times longer. However, I do not care for how they sound on the ride cymbal, and that is enough to cause me to use wood-tipped sticks. To each his/her own. Peace and goodwill.

Wood tips tend to chip and dent my heads. I don't have this problem at all with nylon. I prefer the sound of wood tips on ride cymbals though.

I like a big wooden barrel tip. A really nice punchy sound, and they last a long time because they are pretty big. I use Fatback 3A's. I used to use Nylon, but there is just something about it I dont like....

Back