Hurricane Susan

"Americans" refers to over a nation of over 300 million individuals. Do you think that perhaps describing 300 million people in one grand judgmental sentence might be a tad bit of oversimplification?

Poor dumb Americans don't understand what we're doing to mother Earth. Please.

As a matter of fact, it is being brought up everywhere as a subject. Certainly amongst all but the most staunch opponents.

Are you gonna blame me for something a swedish journalist said? I never uttered my own opinion, but there's sure been a discussion in Sweden about "Americans" and global warming. I'm glad that there obviously has been a discussion in America too.

Driving an electric car or recycling a few plastic bottles is like spitting in the ocean.

Couldn't disagree more. If we all do our part, we'll be strong together. Många bäckar små, like we say in Sweden.

Steve, I'm glad to hear you're well. I'm very sorry for your daughter's situation...
Of course we're all responsible for the global warming and such. Though, this topic is huge in Sweden - you don't go a day without hearing about the North Pole, or South Pole, or global warming, or carbondioxide, etc.... I have no idea wether the topic is as big in the USA as it is here. There was not a word about it in this presidential election as far as I know. But playing the blame game wasn't my intention at all....

Last edited:
Hey buddy! Its Sticks! Glad to hear you are ok. What a terrible thing to go through. Hope things work out for your Daughter. I can't imagine loosing everything. It would really be hard. At least you and your family are all ok. Sorry to hear about your buddy! Glen.

Just to get technical, you're better off without an electric car in terms of 'green' credentials. Batteries are nasty things and it involves a lot of cross-continental transport to build the cars. As a result, they are actually no better ecologically over the time period that most cars are in service for. Add to that the fact that the batteries will need replacing every few years (adding more manufacturing pollution) and it's really a net loss.

Hydrogen cars are a different proposition and one I wholeheartedly support. In the meantime, you're best off maintaining an older car properly and driving it sensibly. It's incredible what changing a few driving habits can do to fuel economy. Driving a manual also helps with this because you are able to control the gears to the best effect (choosing when you change up is key to fuel economy) but even without a manual gearbox, you can shed some weight on your car (throw out the useless things you always carry! We all do it!) and make sure your tyres are at the correct pressures. Keep off the throttle going uphill as much as possible and use your accelerator downhill to add momentum.

That's my lecture for the day.

Nice to hear from you Steve, it's a relief to know you and your family are OK, very sorry to hear about your Daughter and your long time friend, you're in my thoughts in this sad and dramatic disaster, losing houses and goods is one thing, losing the one we love is another, be strong my friend.

Henri

Steve - we figured you, as a tough Nyawk copper, would get through this. Glad we were right, but a difficult time for your daughter. Hope the rebuild goes well!

Interesting car info, Duncan.

Count me in with the consensus of...Glad to see ya man! You're right, it's gonna take a hell of a lot more than a hurricane to beat you. I can't believe you've been out of power for 10 days! Holy crap. Your poor daughter...I can't even imagine...and your friend...

Hopefully your daughter will get a ton of insurance money for a new place, but I'm sure she lost some irreplaceable items...It's amazing how utterly dependent we all are on electricity....Made me really think about what if we lost power indefinitely...how we would eat, drink, stay warm, shower, all the stuff we take for granted. It's scary because I don't have the first clue as to how I would provide for my family's needs.....

Actually I do but I just cannot picture myself and my family living in the woods behind me, trapping the game for food and eating the wild vegetation, drinking the creek water.....burning wood to stay warm....we wouldn't be alone, there would be more people in the same boat...it would be a lawless state and I really don't want to think about it anymore..

But it's really great to see you around Steve.

I just want to say ,,thanks for the warm reguards my friends.I guess my life long camping skills and equipment helped me make it through.I'm off to volunteer with the Red Cross to help with the relief effort.

If you haven't seen the devestation yet,just google Staten Island or New Jersey Hurricane Sandy Photos.It's mind boggleing.There are even before and after photos of the damage.Its look like end of the world stuff.Picture a huge rollercoaster sticking out of the ocean in New Jersey.Boats on top of peoples homes.Roofs of houses floating in the bay.

Maryland and Massachuetts were hit pretty good also.Now I know first hand just what New Orleans went through with Hurricane Katrina.I wish none of you ever have to experience something like this.

Again..thank all of you for your concern.It's much appreciated.

Steve B

Glad to see you back Steve B.

Sorry to hear about all the bad news, but good to hear that you handled it well and was able to help others out. I also would like to give a hat tip to those who rescue the animals that were also affected by the devastation.

Back