GMS or Vintage Ludwig

T

Tommycanuhearme

Well, now I have another delema, there's a drum shop in Houston that will trade me a vintage Ludwig silver sparkle kit or a new GMS white pearl kit for my GMS green sparkle drums. Any thoughts?
Ludwig is an 8x12, 14x14, 14x20
GMS is an 8x12, 12x14, 16x20
silverspkl.jpg

gmsop.jpg

Last edited:
I like the Ludwigs, but white pearl is my favorite wrap.
When I made the trade for the GMS and the Grestch Catalina jazz kit, I knew I was going to keep the Grestch kit, but wasn't sure about the green sparkle GMS. I'd rather have the white pearl, but the Ludwig is very tempting as well. I'm going to Houston tomorrow to check them out. I'll post photo's tomorrow night.

Sheesh! Look at you, Mr. Wheeler-Dealer! Have you had much time to play the GMS kit yet? If you like it, then why not stick with it for a while? Or, if you're still partial to great-sounding Ludwigs...

*******GET THE DOWNBEAT!!!!******

(...and, see my kit in my signature...)

That's a nice kit, the one I'm looking at has the keystone badges.
What kind of music do you play? I'd like to hear your drums.

I haven't played the GMS kit yet, but I don't need to, I'm sure they sound great, it's just not exactly what I'm looking for. I traded my Ludwigs for the Gretsch jazz and GMS kit knowing I would keep the Gretsch kit and that I could probably trade the GMS for another vintage Ludwig kit. So now I have a cool bop kit and can score a vintage Ludwig in silver sparkle, my second favorite finish. I'm not sure which kit I want yet, but I'm leaning slightly towards the Ludwigs.

Man, I thought Fourstrings was bad. Do you get a new kit every couple of weeks? ;-)

BTW, in case you never heard of Fourstrings, he was a member here who would constantly swap his drums out. But, at least he would wait a couple months, lol.

is this at rockin' robin? Thats my shop i've bought all my kits there. 73 ludwig green sparkle, 70's gretsch silver sparkle. Make sure you check out the two gretsch stop sign kits, probably not your size, but they are identical to my kit. 24, 13, 16, refinished in sparkle lacquer. one is champagne, the other is tangerine.

I would take that white pearl gms over the silver sparkle ludwig. The only thing I don't like is the floor tom is mounted. I just prefer floor toms with legs for some reason.

vintage Ludwig silver sparkle kit or a new GMS white pearl kit for my GMS green sparkle drums. Any thoughts?

Tommy, I would go Ludwig definitely. They will both sound good, of course, the GMS maybe even a slight edge because of the more modern Keller shells, BUT, I would be WAY more excited to play that piece of history, Classic drumset. That's just me though.

is this at rockin' robin? Thats my shop i've bought all my kits there. 73 ludwig green sparkle, 70's gretsch silver sparkle. Make sure you check out the two gretsch stop sign kits, probably not your size, but they are identical to my kit. 24, 13, 16, refinished in sparkle lacquer. one is champagne, the other is tangerine.

I would take that white pearl gms over the silver sparkle ludwig. The only thing I don't like is the floor tom is mounted. I just prefer floor toms with legs for some reason.

You are correct, Rockin Robin is where I get most of my vintage drums. Yes, I saw the two Gretsch kits, very cool. I wound up trading for the Ludwigs for two reasons, number 1, they wanted an extra $350 for the GMS kit, number 2, I love vintage Ludwig silver sparkle drums.

I took my 17 tear old daughter with me and her favorite color happens to be green, when she saw the GMS green sparkle kit she said, those are pretty. When I was asking her opinion on the Ludwig silver sparkle kit, she said, even though her favorite color is green, she liked the Ludwig kit better because it was older, she said the GMS kit looked, "too new".
Even a 17 girl can tell what kits look cooler. Now if she'd just get an interest in drums instead of boys.

Back