Roc n soc nitro or tama 1st chair round top?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I got some store credit and I thought I might replace my throne.

I want a hydraulic round top.

What would you choose?

I have used a roc n soc large bicycle type at a practice studio and my butt fell in love with it. Me personally, I would never go with anything but a screw type spin adjustment. The hydro tubes can die ( we have about six dead hydro office chairs here in the back room) and the type that have a wing nut, don't hold for me.

Every screwy throne I've owned ends up getting loose and wobbly which sucks because I tend to lean my weight to the left a bit and it acts as a kind of enabler. Also my Dixon is a tractor/saddle and I hate that your legs have to be in the 'right' spot.

I thought hydraulic wouldn't loosen because of their design.

Hydo shouldn't loosen, but the cylinder may die after a while. mine doesn't lean, I use an old pearl screw type and its still solid (1985). Its not that the hydro is a bad design, I just wonder about transport, what if the lever is hit and the height changes? the screw type stays where it is. I don't know? Aslo, my office chair right now is hydro and when I sit, it drops a few inches, do the drum thrones do that too? that would bug me if it did.

Roc-n-Soc Nitro, I've own it for approx. 7 yrs. love it never had a problem with the shock. you have to make sure the bolst are tight on the seat though, if they get loose thats when the shock begins to fail.

good luck,
Bonzolead

Gonna order the roc n soc. Too many rave reviews, can't go wrong.

Roc & Soc wouldn't take care of me on a warranty issue.

So, anyone butt them. :)

Bermuda

That is a bummer.

What happened?

Several years ago, a part on the seat's mount snapped shortly after I bought it. At the following NAMM show, I told the company's owner, and he welcomed me to call and order the part. I asked if it would be 'covered' and he said no, I would have to pay.

I still have the seat, fitted with a mount of my choosing, which has worked without fail ever since. But I never bought another R&S item, and I never will.

Bermuda

Several years ago, a part on the seat's mount snapped shortly after I bought it. At the following NAMM show, I told the company's owner, and he welcomed me to call and order the part. I asked if it would be 'covered' and he said no, I would have to pay.

I still have the seat, fitted with a mount of my choosing, which has worked without fail ever since. But I never bought another R&S item, and I never will.

Bermuda

And that, folks, is possibly the first ever undorsement recorded in the annals of DW.

I own both................I have two R-n-S Nitro thrones and a Tama First Chair.

both are high quality, well constructed thrones, but hands-down, the R-n-S is a better throne IMO..............just a lot more comfortable

But, I've never had to deal with R-n-S customer service

I had a R-n-S Hydro it was comfortable but the cylinder gave out after about 2 years. I have a Tama 1st chair now and love it.

I had a R-n-S Hydro it was comfortable but the cylinder gave out after about 2 years. I have a Tama 1st chair now and love it.

I have sat on the tama hydraulic one and it was very nice but I think I'll go with the roc n soc. I have sat on a spindle roc n soc and I think I prefer the feel of that cushion.

So, did you look into replacing the gas shock? Is it possible? If so how much did it cost?

The Roc n Soc is quite comfy... just pray that nothing goes wrong with it. :)

And that, folks, is possibly the first ever undorsement recorded in the annals of DW.

A good term, I must snag that!

Truth be told, I don't go out of my way to talk about my poor experiences with companies, except where it serves as a warning in the context of an existing thread.

Bermuda

I have a Tama First Chair.

1. First the bolt clamping the seat to the stand broke. This is a known issue

2. Then the plastic bush in which the stand goes into(under the seat) got worn out and the seat is dancing around on the stand

3. Then the plastic nut that fixes the chair height got stuck

Need I say more?

Jorn

I have sat on the tama hydraulic one and it was very nice but I think I'll go with the roc n soc. I have sat on a spindle roc n soc and I think I prefer the feel of that cushion.

So, did you look into replacing the gas shock? Is it possible? If so how much did it cost?

I did not look into replacing the shock. I figured it would eventually go out again anyway. If you go with R-n-S just get a spindle. Like I said...they are very comfortable..

It arrived today.

Well, from the reviews I read I had high expectations. It's pretty nice, definitely a step up from my dixon. My double bass playing was better today with the new throne but I don't know if it's the throne or just day to day variance in my playing. I don't really understand the physics of balancing on a throne but something feels a bit better. It does have a tiny bit of wiggle and rattle when you lean on one side of the seat, which I really didn't want but I'm trusting that this is the best quality and it's not going to loosen up over time and get all leany on me.

Hmm my lower back actually tingled a bit tonight but I'm gonna say that this is because the different cushion is making me sit differently (properly?) and I'm using different muscles.

No regrets.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,787
Enjoy the Roc and Soc, for what its worth I'm a big guy at 320lbs and I've had mine for about a year now without any issues. Very comfortable.

Back