Remo Pinstripe vs. Evans EC2 vs. Evans Hydraulics

solgrohl08

Hey all
I've got an average kit (old tama Rockstar) and I can't afford a new kit for some time. Obviously i want to get as much pleasure and enjoyment out of this kit as I can before sell it on to make money for a better kit. But (as the batters I've got now are stock tamas and are battered as hell) I want to get some new heads for my kit. Since recently I've wanted pinstripes as that what most my fav drummers have but I've heard very good things about Evans ec2 and hydraulics but some say ec2s are to resonant and hydraulics are to dead etc. so I want u guys opinion. I'm looking for the shortest sustain possible. If you've seen nirvana live at the paramount than that's the kinda sound. Obviously I know I can't get that as Rockstar shells arnt great but I wanna try. A lot of people say 'experiment' but honestly I can't afford that! So here's my choices...
Remo pinstripe tom pack clear w/ remo coated ambassodor snare skin and powerstroke 3 for £70
Evans ec2 clear Tom pack
£30
Evans glass hydraulics Tom pack
£28
Remo pinstripe tom pack w/ emporer x coated
£48
What's the best for the grohlish/crover/bonham sounds?
Thankenyeh

Last edited:
First, unless you have a tree that money grows on and can buy heads frequently, I would would ease up on the battering. A little more finesse and less machismo. Drums will not sound any better hitting them harder, and the sound will only travel so far. If you need mics, get them. Intercostals are rib muscles and I cannot see how you would injure those unless you are just flat out going animal on the drums which is ridiculus. I wouldn't buy a new set of drums, but just set money aside to buy heads. You may spend a little money on a teacher who can tell you the best way to play to get the most sound without destroying your kit or injuring yourself. Good luck.

First, unless you have a tree that money grows on and can buy heads frequently, I would would ease up on the battering. A little more finesse and less machismo. Drums will not sound any better hitting them harder, and the sound will only travel so far. If you need mics, get them. Intercostals are rib muscles and I cannot see how you would injure those unless you are just flat out going animal on the drums which is ridiculus. I wouldn't buy a new set of drums, but just set money aside to buy heads. You may spend a little money on a teacher who can tell you the best way to play to get the most sound without destroying your kit or injuring yourself. Good luck.

+1 on everything said here.
A drum is only going to get so loud no matter how hard you hit it. Goes for cymbals too.

No matter what Nigel say's, there's not really an 11 :)

You want to draw the of sound out of a drum or cymbal, not beat it out of it. Any competent drummer can show you ways of doing this at a good drum shop. You don't even have to take lessons (unless you want to) just ask a few questions. You'll be surprised what you can learn just by hanging out at a shop for a while.

There's also ways to "look" like you are going Apes*it on the kit on stage, without breaking or denting things. That all just comes with learning stage presence.

If you are just doing this at home, sorry, but it's stupid to bash the crap out of stuff when it's going to end up costing serious money to replace things, never mind having to see doctors for injuries (and not being able to play for a month).
If it's that severe, I'm surprised you have a kit left!

Of the head selection, I like Pinstripes over the EC heads or Hydraulics.

Good luck!!

If you want to be loud, why are you asking about muffled heads? Play the drums because they are musical instrument; do not just hit them. Sorry, but I am very weary of reading about drummers who say they hit hard.

I get a headache every time I hear someone trying to squeeze every last decibel out of a drum kit, lol. It doesn't necessarily have to sound good as long as it's loud.

Mini rant over.

Dennis

+1 on everything said here.
A drum is only going to get so loud no matter how hard you hit it. Goes for cymbals too.

No matter what Nigel say's, there's not really an 11 :)

You want to draw the of sound out of a drum or cymbal, not beat it out of it. Any competent drummer can show you ways of doing this at a good drum shop. You don't even have to take lessons (unless you want to) just ask a few questions. You'll be surprised what you can learn just by hanging out at a shop for a while.

There's also ways to "look" like you are going Apes*it on the kit on stage, without breaking or denting things. That all just comes with learning stage presence.

You don't even have to go to a drum shop, just check this out on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwq4ceIBbeo

Back