Phil Maturano here!

Phil, its been a while since I checked your Myspace page. Your profile picture had me laughing for like 5 minutes. I don't even know you at all, but that has to be one of the most hilarious photos I've seen. I think you should use it for your clinic at the Collective. Always a pleasure to hear your playing, keep killin' it. I hope to check you out live someday.

Peace!

Phil, its been a while since I checked your Myspace page. Your profile picture had me laughing for like 5 minutes. I don't even know you at all, but that has to be one of the most hilarious photos I've seen. I think you should use it for your clinic at the Collective. Always a pleasure to hear your playing, keep killin' it. I hope to check you out live someday.

Peace!

15 minutes? I was laughing for 30! hahaha Phil. Please. Change. Picture.
Still, you're a monster player, hope to check you out live someday too!
When's 'Working the Inner Clock II' coming out?

philmaturano.jpg

Last edited:
Daa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Dude you almost killed me hahahah!!!!!!!!
That is funny. Well....I can tell you the guy in that photo never suspected that drumming would lead to such a wonderful life. All I had was dreams back then. Love for music and will power. Its been a long long road. When I saw that photo i just had to put it up. I hope to remain as innocent and full of dreams as that guy was back then. You need that to a certain degree to play. The hair is gone...but the love remains. Thank you for making that poster. Now Im gonna cry.

PM

Hello again, Phil! What a pity.. I couldn't attend your master class. Heard that it was success, though. Some people just don't know how lucky they are to be living in New York...or the United States for that matter.
I wish you continuous success in all your future endeavors!
A.

Yeah...Although , it is not the end of the world here. There are many other places with great music. NY is a great place to learn and stretch and grow. Like no other. BUT....there are better standards of living outside America, IMHO. American culture....I think anyway...has hit an all time low. To be honest...If it wasn't for NY...I probably wouldn't be in the US.

All these characters here get an insane amount of attention and basically can do nothing nor have they ever done anything. (Lohan, Hilton etc etc etc) While people who are incredible geniuses get ignored and are known only to those who make an effort to break out of this matrix of western culture. I thought I was going nuts but....There was an interview with Paul Simon, on a talk show...program called Charlie Rose here in the US. He said EXACTLY the same thing. The economic engine of this country relies on its people being dumbed down and docile. As so many other people have already said. It is more apparent to me now. More then ever. It is still a great country. But believe me...I travel allot! Get so many different points of views and hear things that are not in the mainstream media in America. It is amazing to me...simply amazing. I have questioned many beliefs that got pounded into me as a kid. And have come to terms with my country. What it really is. But it saddens me deeply, to see people I love...live this way. In debt...economic slavery, with no health care, losing their homes. All they have worked for...etc etc. And still dreaming of becoming a quick millionaire or getting to be on a reality show! Whooppie dooo! hahaha

I think musicians have to be and are...on the cutting edge ideologically. Putting ourselves in between the mediocrity and media machine that controls so much.

check this out
http://www.chomsky.info/

Read about him and then tell me ...if you still feel the same.
I know this is a drum forum and not political...but...sometimes, there are some things that make me so mad. I have to vent! Any thoughts are welcome.

Best
PM
www.philmaturano.com
www.myspace.com/philmaturanodrums
www.youtube.com/philmaturanodrums

Phil, fairly mature subject matter for what can be mostly a young crowd. I completely agree with you but I also think it's important (for my own sanity) to remember that it's all relative. I haven't lived in a "city" in almost a decade. I constantly have to remind myself that I was privaledged enough to have had a college education and traveled and have a broad perspective when I find myself feeling frustrated by "pop-culture". As we say in my family "it is what it is"...

The truth is that a lot of folks in these little towns just don't know any better. That's the reason the food sucks so bad where I live. I seriously have to drive about 3 hours to eat decent Sushi! But at the same time, I probably would be crushed under the weight of a place like NYC. I'm jealous of you for your abilities as a musician and your opportunities to see the world while doing what you love. It's truly a blessing and you've worked hard to achieve it. I also appreciate the fact that you display more dimension to yourself than the fact that "I have insane independance and wicked chops". We are all artists sharing a unique path while trying to avoid the plethora of cerebral pitfalls that are constantly set before us by what can be a grotesque socio-economic history which to me seems less and less a USA vs. the world thing and more a have/have not issue in general.

Whew... All this is magnified even more for me as I wonder what my son will respond to as he grows up.

It's cool the way you looked at my post in a totally different angle.. I strongly agree with you, about the whole American culture thing. Maybe I should re-think my desicion about going to The Collective in September? It's not too late, I think..
Again, best wishes for the days to come!
A.

It's cool the way you looked at my post in a totally different angle.. I strongly agree with you, about the whole American culture thing. Maybe I should re-think my desicion about going to The Collective in September? It's not too late, I think..
Again, best wishes for the days to come!
A.

The collective has nothing to do with American politics. If anything it is a great place to be! Study of music is always positive:)
p

Hey Phil!

I was looking for cascara/songo ideas and I came across clips from your video on YouTube. When I saw the 6/8 - 4/4 formula and demo it was like a light bulb turned on and what I had thought was so hard for all those years suddenly became really easy to understand and play. Thanks!

When are you going to have an NTSC version of your DVD? I may just go out and buy a new dvd player just to watch your video.

I am really interested in exploring more son/songo/cascara styles - Can you recommend a couple of recordings that I might want to check out? I have been listening to Buena Vista Social Club, Afro-Cuban All Stars and there is a really good local band called Papa Mambo that I have been checking out. What should a newbie to this stuff start with for good examples - especially bands with drumset players? As well, I am waiting to get my copy of "Conversations in Clave" in the mail - any other drum books/dvd's that you can think of (other than yours of course!)?

You are doing really cool stuff. Come to Canada and I will buy you a beer!
R

Hello.
I have a question for you Phil. If you could only practice for 1 hour of every day, what would your practice routine be?
// Vincent.

Hello.
I have a question for you Phil. If you could only practice for 1 hour of every day, what would your practice routine be?
// Vincent.

I use what is called a time managment matrix. A system we devoloped at PIT yeeeeeaars ago. It is used to maximize and focus practice time. It is pretty involved and uses intelectual/spiritual concepts as well as physical. It is too extensive to write about here. But thats what I do.

Lately all i have time for is to learn peoples material. And actual "drumming" stuff keeps getting pushed aside:-(

Please check out my myspace page for latest clinic tour schedule.
THanks for asking, great question.
pm

Hello.
Thanks for getting back to me with a quick answer. It means a lot.
Shame your clinic tour doesnt take you to Sweden ast some point. Oh well.
// Vincent.

Hello Phil.
Thanks for the quick answer last time round. I have another question. Im haveing problem with my foot independence and im wondering what you think is the best way of improveing your foot independence is?
Thakns
// Vincent.

Well, just straight up foot independence. When im doing something with my hands my hihat foot sometimes just follows my bass foot.
Thanks.
//Vincent.

Hey, Phil

Love your clips and your work with explaining Afro Cuban music in a logical way. I will be getting your DVD soon. You sound great , and thanks again

Well, just straight up foot independence. When im doing something with my hands my hihat foot sometimes just follows my bass foot.
Thanks.
//Vincent.

Sorry for the delay in answering Vince. I am on the road and its not so easy to get on to the net.
My assesment would be to find a teacher who specializes in this area. Someone who can see what you are doing, what is happening, and then have him design a customized program of work for you. The "right" teacher can save you years of frustration. Seek them out. Travel if you have to. But get it handled from the beginning. Money means nothing. Dont make expense the reason that holds things back. The payoff for mastering your instrument cannot be measured at the moment. It cannot even be measured in material terms in the future. The future... no one can see, but by contributing to your instrument, to your passion, you make your future and the future of those around you brighter in every sense that truly matters.
If there is one thing i have noticed, the exercises that helped to improve the most in every area of drumming, is the exercise of the soul. The spiritual journey, that is the essence of drumming, has to be faced with passion and abandon. With disregard for security, fear, money, etc. None of those things exist in the way we usually percieve them anyway. So they are pointless. The only thing that should count, is to play your instrument. When this is possible, the independence will be there.

One of the things I find intersting in Europe is that cats have no problem traveling up to 4 hours to take a private lesson. In the states this rarely happens. Maybe because there are more teachers out in the US? I dont know but, the point is to turn every stone, cover all bases, and make whatever sacrifice you must make, to get your playing happening. And continually grow. Accomplishment in drumming as I have seen in life, comes down to a few basic factors. One of the most important, being "Desire" -

I have a zillion exercises I could give you. But without knowing your present ability, your desire, your position in life, and how much time to practice you have...it will all be bla bla .
I hope that helps.
Thanks for asking.
PM

Hey, Phil

Love your clips and your work with explaining Afro Cuban music in a logical way. I will be getting your DVD soon. You sound great , and thanks again

HI Tomtom, thank you for the kind words. Well...here is some interesting news.
My DVD is now distributed by Hudson Limited. Here is a link that will show you even more clips and help to order it.

http://www.hudsonmusic.com/products/maturano.html

We have a new cover and it has been remastered. New menu and also new disk design.
HL_Afro-CubanDrummingmusicix.jpg

All the best
PM

Last edited:
Back