Billy Ward here!

Re: I'm here! - Billy Ward

ThomasDee said:
Billy, love your playing. I'm a big fan of your approach to time and your consideration to the music. I have worked on several projects with the WFD guys and it is no secret that on a couple different forums you are championed as the 'pro' anti WFD Guy.

Well, I just wanted your side of the story in your own words.

TD
ps really a fan.

Hey Thomas - I'm just back from DrummerLive (and totally jet-lagged...been up for more hours than I can count) but thought I'd try to respond. First of all, thanks!

About the WFD - I tried to get in there to post some comments (this was perhaps two years ago or more) to try to explain (defend) that i thought that Ron Spagnardi was being unfairly attacked. simple as that.
He was simply saying that music matters the most. He was a great guy. We drummers owe Ron Spagnardi alot because of his pursuit of having a durmmer's magazine - the very first magazine dedicated to drummers. This must not be under-appreciated!!! Mod. Drmr was the first!

AS far as the WFD goes... I think excellence in ANYTHING is worth noting / enjoying / complimenting. OK? I'm down with that. Many of the drummers who participate in the WFD are noted-great technicians, yet I personally have never heard most of them play in a band/play music - so I can't really comment on them as musicians. Have you heard them play in a band? Would you mind recommending a record to me of their playing? I'd enjoy listening to it.

My perspective is:
I am a drummer that is out there doing gigs mostly - recording/touring...
stuff like that. Lately, I admit to receiving great joy from my teaching - whether it is articles in MD mag, or clinics or masterclasses. I'm feeling warm and fuzzy to speak with you and others who look in on this discussion! My perspective on the speed thing is that it is good to go for speed - who could argue otherwise? But eventually, once some facility is achieved, tone and music will matter more. As for me, I am personally comfy with my speed. If I were to measure my single stroke roll solely for speed (which is something that I haven't practiced with a focus on speed for more than thirty years..I'm looking for tone when I play a single stroke roll) I'd guess that I can do somewhere around 800 strokes per minute - give or take a hun. That's a guess and frankly, I have no idea whether that would be considered good or bad by the WFD. But I'm very content with what I can do speed - wise. It works for me. Somedays, I hit an obstacle with speed and I THEN try to get faster with whatever I think I need.

HOw about this? Maybe it would be cool for the WFD to expand out of the single stroke roll and, for instance, see who can play the Long Roll while accenting the second note. Open to closed and back to open. Who would sound best doing that? In fact.. how about a contest where the long roll with the accented second note has to happen on a loosely tuned flappy floor tom instead of a tightly tuned snare drum? I mean, THAT takes chops!!!! Just a crazy thought...

I honestly think it is great that the WFD is helping to keep sticks in the hands of drummers that might not otherwise be too interested in spending the time it takes to have some chops. If striving for speed makes that happen, I think that is wonderful. Like I said before, excellence in anything is a great thing. I remember trying to get faster with my 26 rudiments when I was a kid. But, regarding speed or tempo, I'm glad that Led Zep/the Beatles/Creme/Jimi Hendrix/the Who/Radiohead/Miles Daivs/James Brown/Styevie Wonder and a million other musicians were not ENTIRELY concerned with speed. I love their chosen tempos on those songs!
So hopefully this is clear (which my not be the case because I am so tired now and sleep deprived)

This seems to me to be an over-discussed topic. Should we start a campaign against Jim Keltner because he doesn't fill enough? Speed is simply one isolated aspect of drumming - one isolated aspect of MUSIC. I have no idea what moves this WFD discussion forward. it makes me think of Monty Python's Life Of Brian - where some are following the sandal..others the gourd... I figure I'm definitely NOt making sense anymore - so I'll sign off. This is more than I typed on my OWN website tonight!!! :D
best wishes. (and going to bed now)
BW

Ron was a GREAT man, and contributed sooo much to the drumming industry.

I was a bit cyncial of WFD as musicians at first, but I know that the champs have played with some of the best musicians.

Mangini - Extreme/Stevie Vai, etc
Verdi - Jack Wilkins/Shirley Scott, etc
Jotan A. - Britney Spears/Rick Martin, etc
Johnny Rabb - Hank Williams III, Tanya Tucker

DrumNut said:
Ron was a GREAT man, and contributed sooo much to the drumming industry.

I was a bit cyncial of WFD as musicians at first, but I know that the champs have played with some of the best musicians.

Mangini - Extreme/Stevie Vai, etc
Verdi - Jack Wilkins/Shirley Scott, etc
Jotan A. - Britney Spears/Rick Martin, etc
Johnny Rabb - Hank Williams III, Tanya Tucker

Absolutely! And I've met three of the four above (except for Jotan A.) and always enjoy their company. I am aware of their credits - just wish I could hear something. I'll ask them when I see them next.

I’m the kind of guy that likes a little "Space" between the notes. However it’s great to have gentlemen like competition like Jazz band, Marching band etc. And I guess it would be easier to judge or grade "speed" rather than to judge "playing talent", (two separate things in this case) so let them have their fun if their good at it. I’m sure they have spent allot of time working on it. And if they can really play, that’s all the better. It’s just not for me.

But I do think whatever gets you excited enough to pickup the sticks, is great.

billy ward said:
Hey Thomas - I'm just back from DrummerLive (and totally jet-lagged...been up for more hours than I can count) but thought I'd try to respond. First of all, thanks!

About the WFD - I tried to get in there to post some comments (this was perhaps two years ago or more) to try to explain (defend) that i thought that Ron Spagnardi was being unfairly attacked. simple as that.
He was simply saying that music matters the most. He was a great guy. We drummers owe Ron Spagnardi alot because of his pursuit of having a durmmer's magazine - the very first magazine dedicated to drummers. This must not be under-appreciated!!! Mod. Drmr was the first!

AS far as the WFD goes... I think excellence in ANYTHING is worth noting / enjoying / complimenting. OK? I'm down with that. Many of the drummers who participate in the WFD are noted-great technicians, yet I personally have never heard most of them play in a band/play music - so I can't really comment on them as musicians. Have you heard them play in a band? Would you mind recommending a record to me of their playing? I'd enjoy listening to it.

My perspective is:
I am a drummer that is out there doing gigs mostly - recording/touring...
stuff like that. Lately, I admit to receiving great joy from my teaching - whether it is articles in MD mag, or clinics or masterclasses. I'm feeling warm and fuzzy to speak with you and others who look in on this discussion! My perspective on the speed thing is that it is good to go for speed - who could argue otherwise? But eventually, once some facility is achieved, tone and music will matter more. As for me, I am personally comfy with my speed. If I were to measure my single stroke roll solely for speed (which is something that I haven't practiced with a focus on speed for more than thirty years..I'm looking for tone when I play a single stroke roll) I'd guess that I can do somewhere around 800 strokes per minute - give or take a hun. That's a guess and frankly, I have no idea whether that would be considered good or bad by the WFD. But I'm very content with what I can do speed - wise. It works for me. Somedays, I hit an obstacle with speed and I THEN try to get faster with whatever I think I need.

HOw about this? Maybe it would be cool for the WFD to expand out of the single stroke roll and, for instance, see who can play the Long Roll while accenting the second note. Open to closed and back to open. Who would sound best doing that? In fact.. how about a contest where the long roll with the accented second note has to happen on a loosely tuned flappy floor tom instead of a tightly tuned snare drum? I mean, THAT takes chops!!!! Just a crazy thought...

I honestly think it is great that the WFD is helping to keep sticks in the hands of drummers that might not otherwise be too interested in spending the time it takes to have some chops. If striving for speed makes that happen, I think that is wonderful. Like I said before, excellence in anything is a great thing. I remember trying to get faster with my 26 rudiments when I was a kid. But, regarding speed or tempo, I'm glad that Led Zep/the Beatles/Creme/Jimi Hendrix/the Who/Radiohead/Miles Daivs/James Brown/Styevie Wonder and a million other musicians were not ENTIRELY concerned with speed. I love their chosen tempos on those songs!
So hopefully this is clear (which my not be the case because I am so tired now and sleep deprived)

This seems to me to be an over-discussed topic. Should we start a campaign against Jim Keltner because he doesn't fill enough? Speed is simply one isolated aspect of drumming - one isolated aspect of MUSIC. I have no idea what moves this WFD discussion forward. it makes me think of Monty Python's Life Of Brian - where some are following the sandal..others the gourd... I figure I'm definitely NOt making sense anymore - so I'll sign off. This is more than I typed on my OWN website tonight!!! :D
best wishes. (and going to bed now)
BW
Billy thanks for the reply, especially as tired a you were. Hope you got some rest. I agree with you and was hoping that was kinda the way you thought about WFD. Most people seemed to have gotten hung up on the word Speed and forgot that it is really all about technique.

Did you read the latest (sept issue) issue of MD going inside the WFD article? If so what did you think of it? Did you think it explained WFD and possibly cleared some misunderstandings?

Who are you playing with now? Still doing some stuff with Joan Osborne? I love your work with her. So tasty.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and hope you're feeling better.

TD
ps. Also really enjoy your articles in MD.

Hi Thomas - yeah (about the WFD article). i thought it was very well presented in MD - a good read.
As you probably know, I'm just back to NYC after being in the UK for DrummerLive. I am mixing an album by Jon Albrink that i am producing (you can hear a clip of one rough mix on my website under listening section - the song is titled "What Would You Give")/ I am playing on three songs (the New York sessions) of BB Kings latest album titled "80". This record was just released. I think it's a good album and BB IS 80 years old. What an incredible man!! I had a few gigs with Joan last month in Colorado at festivals - things will probably remain quiet with her now - though, a Christmas record that we did will be out shortly - it should be pretty cool for that kind of thing. I'm also recording some instrumental music - I guess you would call it jazz... with a guitarist and bass player that I used to play alot with when I lived in LA (13 years ago). That happens in six days late October. In less than a week, I'm traveling to Copenhagen to "beat up" a rhythm section as an artist in residence at the Rhythm University there. :D
November has me attending PASIC - just hanging out. Then (hopefully) I'll have some time off. I do have a Bill Champlin song sitting at my studio for more than 6 months now - I should get to that in November I hope! Also looking forward to some "down time" so that I can write some more... Thanks for asking!

billy ward said:
Hi Thomas - yeah (about the WFD article). i thought it was very well presented in MD - a good read.

Billy, I just caught up on this thread and your marathon WFD comments below. Thank you. That expressed all the things that impress and slightly worry me about WFD at at the same time, better than I ever could.

I'd also like to say thanks a heap for your educational ventures. If I'm going to read an article by a pro these days I think I'd look your way first. Your writing style is wonderfully clear, and you always have a whole bunch of great ideas that make me want to run off and practice! Keep up the amazing work...

Mr. Billy Ward:

So "Rythmn Tech" does works for you .... hehehehe !..you were on Page 85 of Drums Mgazine this months October 2005. .... it features the Rythmn Tech Hat Tricks available in Nickel or Polish Brass.....though of getting one of these ... looks nice - but I don't know how it works?..

In Gregg Bisonette Musical Drumming DVD ...Gregg said - Pss.sss Tell you all something ... a Secret..."Speed is not the most important aspect of Drumming .... Keeping Time and playing with the band is"

Luckily - Speed is not the most important. Gregg continue to say ... In ancient time, people dance to the Drums (very true) they don't dance to any other Musical Instruments right ? ... yes.... and so ... Making our Drums Groove is important ... make them bop their heads and wanna dance to your beat ... not speed.

PS: Not the speed is not important - just that it's not the most important aspect of drumming.

RudimentalDrummer said:
In Gregg Bisonette Musical Drumming DVD ...Gregg said - Pss.sss Tell you all something ... a Secret..."Speed is not the most important aspect of Drumming .... Keeping Time and playing with the band is"

Luckily - Speed is not the most important. Gregg continue to say ... In ancient time, people dance to the Drums (very true) they don't dance to any other Musical Instruments right ? ... yes.... and so ... Making our Drums Groove is important ... make them bop their heads and wanna dance to your beat ... not speed.

PS: Not the speed is not important - just that it's not the most important aspect of drumming.

For me there are two aspects in this:

a) To double-bass speed maniacs: did you ever see somebody dance to the sound of a lawn-mower???

b) To the lazy-ones: Oh speed is not important, great I don't have to practice regularly anymore, just keep the groove, yeah....

Bernhard

Bernhard said:
For me there are two aspects in this:

a) To double-bass speed maniacs: did you ever see somebody dance to the sound of a lawn-mower???

b) To the lazy-ones: Oh speed is not important, great I don't have to practice regularly anymore, just keep the groove, yeah....

Bernhard

Bernhard... you know I'm a strange kid right?

Danced to a lawnmower...

mediocrefunkybeat said:
Bernhard... you know I'm a strange kid right?

Danced to a lawnmower...

In another thread you just admitted, that you stopped double-bass?
I've got it now - makes sense - you switched to dancing. But season is over. In winter the lawn-mowers are sleeping.

Bernhard

billy ward said:
!

I'd like to introduce you to your new diplomatic attache to the EU......

Mr Billy Ward!............:)

Bernhard said:
In another thread you just admitted, that you stopped double-bass?
I've got it now - makes sense - you switched to dancing. But season is over. In winter the lawn-mowers are sleeping.

Bernhard

My feet will now lie dormant. I have danced to a lawnmower, I've danced WITH a lawnmower whilst using it. I have a retarded left foot; it's really THAT simple.

I can dream... dream of one day appearing on stage as a tap dancer.

Bernhard said:

Bernhard

Don't misrepresent what I said ... I said Not that speed is not important ... BUT ... it's not the MOST important in drumming and that doesn't means that we don't need to practice speed ... but we don't need to be the fastest hand ... to be a very good drummer.

RudimentalDrummer said:
Don't misrepresent what I said ... I said Not that speed is not important ... BUT ... it's not the MOST important in drumming and that doesn't means that we don't need to practice speed ... but we don't need to be the fastest hand ... to be a very good drummer.

Of course Rud, I've got it....was just a joke with serious background.

By the way: when you want back the fun of drumming: Look at the Billy Ward DVD - and also the new old rebrushed clips of Bernard Purdie i will put p these next days

Bernhard said:
Of course Rud, I've got it....was just a joke with serious background.

By the way: when you want back the fun of drumming: Look at the Billy Ward DVD - and also the new old rebrushed clips of Bernard Purdie i will put p these next days

Yes ... sure will and thank you so much my dear Bernhard.

A series of WFD arguement has been removed from this thread and posted in the WFD thread here. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2992&page=3&pp=35
i have taken the billy bits out and put them back here:

dogbreath said...
So... back on subject! Thanks to Billy Ward I've really gotten into smaller sizes for hi hats. I haven't made the move to anything drastically small (although I was lucky enough to try out a set of 11-inch hats that Billy helped design), but I'm really loving my new 12-inch K Custom Dry hats. Any other fans of relatively small hats?

and i replied:
i played 13'' dark paiste hats at church and i must say they were far more controlled and, for want of a better description, had a silvery sound to them. very elegant. now for my rock playing they would probably not do so well, although i never got the chance to really bash them and see how they sing, but in church they fitted everything very well. i would say they were great for funk and jazz but not for punk. i would like a pair for studio work. and now i am intrigued about having a try on even small hats. Dogbreath, i suppose smaller hats would fit in your giant kit neater as well.

Thanks Nutha - I realize it is very hard to maintain some logic within a free-for - all discussion forum!
The wfd doesn't disturb me at all though. Seem to be alot of good guys doing it.
I'd like to stress that rudiments should be learned and played Open to closed and then back to open. (Slow... then fast...then gradually and musically back out to slow)
This is the WAY to getting some hands! (along with the newspaper exercise that is in my DVD.

re: hats- I look forward to some of you hearing my 11" hats. It is possible that Zildjian will end up making these available to all! They are fast (obviously) but feel and play like normal sized hats - incredible.
thanks-

and Bernhard - you DO look alot like Steve Gadd!! :D

Back