Vinnie Colaiuta

Re: Vinnie Colauita

Oh, the tune where he's in 15/16 or 19/20 or whatever it is.

Just finished d/ling the Michael Landau Baked Potato dvd and got the Unreel Drumming book through the post - approaching Vinnie overload

I like her playing and i love her tunning.Gretsch is amazing and unique.Zildjian a is the best choice for fusion i think.

cagil said:
I like her playing and i love her tunning.

Yes, I love her playing also!

But I'm thinking maybe her hair is too short...

Vinnie is the most amazing most versitle drummer I have ever seen. He can play anything with such great feel. That left hand is PERFECT! Not to mention the way he hits that left hand china. I'll never get over that.

Lambo said:
her playing? who? what's going on

Lol that was just a joke. At least I know my own post was. I don't know about Cagil.

NUTHA JASON said:
i don't like him as a person as i have seen him live with sting and also in several interviews but then again as a drummer i love him. look at the drum battle beteween him, wekl and gadd on the videos section of drummerworld. he holds his own very well with those two giants. you got to hand it to him, he steals a show.
j

Vinnie, being an outspoken BAC, I would think you did like him as a person. I've seen him in clinic (not to get the ear full of Jesus that I got). In addition, he's highly educated and very intelligent and articulate.

PS: Can you fix the spelling of his name "Colaiuta" not Colauita.

First I'll be honest - although I know hes an incredible drummer I've never really been a big fan of the guy...not really into Zappa and how everyone says he stole the show on the BR tribute not really seein that....Just look at my sig and you know who I look up too...

Anywayz has anyone hear heard that clinic posted on houseofdrumming.com....
What the heck is he doing....I mean there's some serious chops goin on there....

Its sounds like a "Soul Vaccination" lick but is it in odd meter?
And his hand/foot fills especially at the 5 min mark? I can't recognize the change of speeds...is he doin 5's and 7's?

Anyone here that has broken him down please explain his specialties...

LinearDrummer said:
Just look at my sig and you know who I look up too...
Wait, are you saying Vinnie doesnt sound good, just looks cool. I mean he does look totally awesome, check out those glasses on the BR tribute video. ha ha ha.

brittc89 said:
Wait, are you saying Vinnie doesnt sound good, just looks cool. I mean he does look totally awesome, check out those glasses on the BR tribute video. ha ha ha.

LOL....
Also did hear the comment he made like something about being from New York and he should get the most applause...

I don't know he just kind of comes across as real cocky...I know you have to be confident to be good but...either way it doesn't matter cause I just want to start breakin down some of his licks and since he doesn't have a DVD or book - I'm Lost!

LinearDrummer said:
...either way it doesn't matter cause I just want to start breakin down some of his licks and since he doesn't have a DVD or book - I'm Lost!
You should check out the UnReel book, he has a whole bunch of licks transcribed in there. Crazy stuff. Also, the latest issue of Drum! has a whole bunch of transcriptions as well.

brittc89 said:
You should check out the UnReel book, he has a whole bunch of licks transcribed in there. Crazy stuff. Also, the latest issue of Drum! has a whole bunch of transcriptions as well.

Thanks for the info....

Someone PM-ed me a link about that book...I didn't know someone else had broken down some of his licks cause he certainly doesn't put out any info for some reason...

Kinda of wierd cause Weckl is not afraid to show you everything he does....from what I've heard the book ain't easy but I'll check it out......

LinearDrummer said:
LOL....
Also did hear the comment he made like something about being from New York...
Isnt he from Pennsylvania? I had always thought that.

LinearDrummer said:
Kinda of wierd cause Weckl is not afraid to show you everything he does....from what I've heard the book ain't easy but I'll check it out......

I think that's because Weckl seems to have a more definite vocabulary and knows what he can do. I think Vinnie is more the guy that just swings his arms and whatever he thinks pretty much comes out!

One of my fav. drummers! I love playing "Love is stronger than Justice". I'm pretty sure it's Vinnie. Weird thing is, my drum teacher has never heard of him, good teacher though.

Back