Fiberskyn for concert snare?

mandrew

Gold Member
Does anyone have any experience with Remo Fiberskyn heads for a symphonic snare drum? I want a very dry, crisp, articulate sound with little ring. What snares would you match to it?

Does anyone have any experience with Remo Fiberskyn heads for a symphonic snare drum? I want a very dry, crisp, articulate sound with little ring. What snares would you match to it?
If you want very dry then I think the Evans HD Dry head will do the job better than the fiberskyn. Way too dry for me, but they do retain a fair degree of crispness that affords articulation in the snareside reaction.

In college I played a white coated diplomat on a Rogers Dyna-Sonic brass snare that sounded absolutely stunning. Any ring the drum may have had could be tuned out . I think a fiberskyn would be too muted because you need something with a bit of ring in it to project over the orchestra. Any ring the drum has will be lost by the time it gets to the audience anyway.

I saw the L.A. Philharmoic Orchestra do a concert a long time ago and I saw three snares: a 3.5 x 13 Ludwig piccolo, a 6.5x14 snare, and a larger marching-type snare. I think they had a real calf head on the marching snare.

Back