Anybody have any gear with sentimental attachement they won't part with?

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I have a DW 4000 series 3 leg HH stand I got about 10 years (give or take) ago. Recently the metal clip that attaches the chain links to the pedal board broke (on the first beat of the first song of a 4 hour gig of course). I went to GC the next day and bought a DW 3500 2 leg because I needed it for a weekend long 5 gig run at SPI, and ordered the part to repair my old stand. I planned on keeping the 3500 and using the 4000 as a back up or secondary, but I missed my 4000. Weird huh? I returned the 3500 today. I also have an expensive Tama leverglide, but I have always been partial to my cheap 4000. I do a lot of HH work and my HH stand is the only piece of gear I am kind of hard on. I will keep the leverglide though for recording. It is silent like no other.

I should also say that I have been using the same Iron Cobra double (99.9% of the time used as a single) for 10 years as well.

Anybody have any gear they are never going to let go of?

Yep. 1965, LM400 Supraphonic.

It was my dad's back up and he gave it to me when I started getting serious about playing. It meant that I never had to use the crappy stock snare that came with the first kit I bought. I've lugged that thing from pillar to post and it never let me down. Gigged, recorded, rehearsed, you name it and I still cherish it to this day. To me, it's still my most precious musical instrument even though I have many other snares that have since seen more action.

Haven't used it as my main snare for some time now, but I still drag it out every now and again for the fun of it.....or when I get sentimental. Way too many memories for me to ever consider parting with it. And the simple fact that my old man gave it to me....we don't see eye to eye on much at all, but we've always found common ground with our drumming.

I could sell everything I own except for that snare....I'd hate to get rid of my 402 and Black Beauty, but at the end of the day everything else could be pretty easily replaced. But that 400, with it's pitted shell and pain-in-the-arse P-83 strainer........man, you'll be hard pressed to even pry it from my cold dead hands!!

Nice. I have 2 Ludaloy LM400s w/ P85s, both rounded B/O, that I don't plan on getting rid of myself. One is a "student beginner" I bought for school when I started playing concert percussion and the other was a pawn shop find for $10. It's great you have a piece of family history with you.

Yea, a lot, but the one item I won't let go is my 1965 Whitehall (Pearl) set of drums. When learning to play drums from my dad, I used his Ludwig kit in the white pearl finish. It consisted of a 28" bass drum,13" rack tom, 16" floor tom and a snare. Later in his life the 28" bass drum was just too much for him to lug around, so he started to use my first kit which I bought in 1965 and it had a 20" bass drum. He made that kit sing. Since we both played it for many years, there's a lot of sentimental value wrapped up in that set of drums.

DSC_0216-1-1.jpg

Dennis

I hope my 2 1/2 yo daughter takes care of Daddy's SCM kit as well as you have taken care of your Pearl. Do you still have the Ludwig?

I will never part with my 1973 COB Dynasonic. I bought it new after sweating my tail off all summer pulling weeds in soybean fields.

I don't know if not wanting to part with a piece of gear because it is your favorite could really be considered sentimental. Sentimental means that there is some deeper reason that you won't part with it, even if you have other better gear. I don't have any drum stuff with sentimental value, but I would never sell my strat because it was my first real guitar and my father bought it for me for Christmas. Even though I have other guitars I like more, and could afford an American strat now I will never get rid of that first one.

Believe it or not (and I HATE this company) but:

A Stagg SH 16" Chyna... my dad got it for me for christmas, and it doesn't sound too bad.

I'd cry if I lost it or if it broke conmpletely...

Im right along the same lines as the rest of you. I came hom from school one day when I was about 15 and there was a Sabian 16" AA crash sitting on my throne, still in the wrapping. My Dad had bought it for me, not for any special occasion, just as a surprise. I now 27 and still using it. Even if I replace it (which I would love to do because I dont like its sound) Ill never throw it out or trade it in.

While I would be hard pressed to part with any piece of equipment, I would never part with my Pearl 8x14 maple free floater as my late wife bought it for me back in 1999.

I also have a 14" Paiste Stanople cymbal that I have had for close to 43 years. It hangs on a wall living it's life as a clock.

I love my Sabian AA El Sabor 18". It is the only thing I own that would never willingly part with. Peace and goodwill.

I love the story of Bill Stewart's favorite ride. He has this old ride that has a chunk taken out of one side. I don't know if he did that or what, but you can see it in this video.
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/billstewartacrobat.html

My drum teacher played with people who went to school with Bill Stewart, and they said he loved this ride so much, he would trade his best friend before he traded that ride for anything.

My drum teacher also showed me his favorite ride, which he said he would trade his wife before he traded that ride. wow.

I think we should all have a cymbal like this.

I don't know if not wanting to part with a piece of gear because it is your favorite could really be considered sentimental. Sentimental means that there is some deeper reason that you won't part with it, even if you have other better gear. I don't have any drum stuff with sentimental value, but I would never sell my strat because it was my first real guitar and my father bought it for me for Christmas. Even though I have other guitars I like more, and could afford an American strat now I will never get rid of that first one.

I think my attachment to the HH stand and my IC is because they were my first pedals. I got them when I started playing and I still remember them attached to my Pear Forum in my parents warehouse where I would practice everyday when I got home from school.

Yea, a lot, but the one item I won't let go is my 1965 Whitehall (Pearl) set of drums. When learning to play drums from my dad, I used his Ludwig kit in the white pearl finish. It consisted of a 28" bass drum,13" rack tom, 16" floor tom and a snare. Later in his life the 28" bass drum was just too much for him to lug around, so he started to use my first kit which I bought in 1965 and it had a 20" bass drum. He made that kit sing. Since we both played it for many years, there's a lot of sentimental value wrapped up in that set of drums.

DSC_0216-1-1.jpg

Dennis

that kit is absolutely gorgeous

and those reel to reels you have and that old TV have to be worth loot

:)

+1 on the Supra Pocket..Mine is a 65 also.The only drum I have that I will not part with is my Slingerland 1947 Super Gene Krupa Radio King.7x14 WMP..all original,clamshell strainer,beavertail lugs.Very little yellowing in the wrap.Even the snare wires are original,and the sound is amazing.

Steve B

I don't think I can ever push myself to get rid of my first set of drums. They're just simple Ludwig Accents, but I took the covering off and urethaned the shells with a fair amount of help from my dad. I don't think I could get that much for them anyway.

My two sets of roto toms......actually I just can't find anyone to take them.

I'll be their caretaker. I'll take them in and feed them and they can sleep on the rug by my bed. Are they neutered though? I can't have them climbing on my kit and have little Yama-oto hybrids all over the house.

I have two pieces of gear with deep sentimental value to me. Anything that was given as a gift can't be sold, like the gear that my girlfriend and my dad have bought me but I wouldn't say that I have some strong attachment to it.

I have a Schecter 7-string guitar that I could never part with. I hardly use it anymore as I'm mainly a drummer and I don't do the 7-string thing much anymore but I bought it with my earnings from working at a rundown amusement park here in the city. I took my HS senior photos with it and even have a tat featuring the guitar on my leg. She's mah baby.

The other is more recent acquisition and I really don't mean it as a plug to look at my gear, just sharing my sentiments. I just got this big ol' red snare this week. It's a total hotrodding of a 70's Luddy marcher shell I scored off Ebay on a drunken whim. My friend/drum guy gave this baby the works and now It's areat custom drum that was made for me by a friend. With all the time and love he put into for me it I just can't see myself ever parting with it.

Here's the thread to it: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75568

I'd say most of my drumming gear, which the exception of the electronic stuff.

Foremost:
My Premier Signia kit with DW maple snare. I bought it all new in 93 or 94. It was my first pro kit, and I've done hundreds of gigs with it over the years. Way to sentimental to ever part with, even though it's been stacked up in the corner for some time now.

My purple DW kit, not so much because it has sentimental value, but it's a one of kind color that I could never re-buy without spending a fortune, while this one came off of ebay at a reasonable price. I've considered selling it, but I know I'd just kick myself if I ever did. Further, my wife has forbid me to sell it. haha.

My 20" Zildjian Z Heavy Power Ride, from the original Z series. The Z-custom and the Z-3 rides just do not sound the same as the original model. It's just a great rock ride cymbal. Even though I've been favoring my K heavy lately, I'll never part with the Z.

Back