Gavin Harrison here!

I think I have mentioned it before - but I understand the problem of looking back over 40 pages. (I hope to have a solution to this soon).

When I was growing up I listened to Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro mostly - but also Stewart Copeland, Billy Cobham, John Guerin, Steve Schaeffer, Steve Jansen, Vinnie Colaiuta and many others I can't think of at the moment.

Hi erictak,

One Question though - there was a show the day after as well at the London RAH - were you repleaced for that one?

well spotted - yes it was my penultimate show with Level 42 - I did play at the Albert Hall the next and that was the last show I did.

cheers
Gavin

thanks for clearing that up Gavin (and sorry for being a smartass anorak like that hehe)

good to read you mention Steve Jansen there with the likes of Cobham, Gadd etc. - it seems he never gets as much credit as I feel he deserves for his innovative use of the drums

cheers

Eric

Greetings to all the wonderful members/admins of drummerworld.com,

They made me (that's a biggie mind you!) step out of the shadows although I've been on and off the site for AGES. And what's more we have Gavin here with what can be only be described as a martyr's patience to answer out an ocean of questions, many of which have been repeated again and again..(yes, I read all 40+ pages of the thread..)

Now I've been burning to ask Gavin these simple questions myself:

What made you play the drums in the first place and made you devote yourself to the instrument?
How would you describe what drumming is all about to a person completely alien to the concept of drumming and rhythm?
In other words, what makes you tick as a drummer? :)

Many many thanks for a truly unique opportunity such as this.

Hi Gavin
You tried to use a "Trick" 007 strainer?. What do you think about? I watch trick drum site, and i think that it was interesting for my hand made keller-snare.I have a new experiment:
I have cut-down two 14"crash 8" and to lose weight from a famous Italian company of cymbals. This is a very beautiful 8"hi hat "very cool". Now i can use this with remote hi hat stand without problems.
Thanks for like features yours fan you are truly one special person.
thanks a lot
Angelo

Hi gavin im just wondering do you ever not play with a click. i have great jams with ed poole and he is always on about playing with loops and clicks. but sometimes its nice just to play freestyle and the click drives me mad. what click sounds do you use thats friendly to the ear. thanks Gavin all the best bago

http://www.myspace.com/petelumley

Hi Gavin!

You mentioned that many of your fills played live are improvised. Well how about hatesong on the "arriving somewhere" dvd? is that kind of solo in the end improvised too? and what about all these genious fills douring the song? (i really love it!)

oh, and you said there are some unconfirmed european shows in autumn? you won't come to austria, will you :)) ?? i already saw you guys in amsterdam (great show!!) but twice is always better than once!

ok that's it!
tobi

Hi daydr3am3r,

What made you play the drums in the first place and made you devote yourself to the instrument?

Pure love for the instrument. I started playing the trumpet when I was a kid - but it just wasn't right. I was naturally coordinated and took dance lessons when I was six years old - there was always something about rhythm that connected with me on a deep level.

How would you describe what drumming is all about to a person completely alien to the concept of drumming and rhythm?

Rhythm is all around us - it really is part of life quite literally. Once you tap in to it - it's very therapeutic.

Hi angelo,

You tried to use a "Trick" 007 strainer?. What do you think about?

I've never tried a Trick strainer so I can't tell you.

Hi bago

Hi gavin im just wondering do you ever not play with a click. i have great jams with ed poole and he is always on about playing with loops and clicks. but sometimes its nice just to play freestyle and the click drives me mad. what click sounds do you use thats friendly to the ear.

Yes of course I often play without clicks...but playing with one doesn't drive me mad. Have a look at post number 1141 on this thread (should be around page 33) there's some samples of the click sounds that I use. Say hi to Ed for me - he's one hell of a great bass player!!!

Cheers
Gavin

Gavin:

I was thrilled to see that you guys have added a Nashville date (Oct. 9) to the FoaBP tour. I drove to Chicago to see PT back in June because I was sure you weren't coming to see me down here, but now you're coming, and I'm a happy camper.

Do you guys drink beer? If so, I'm going to hook you up with a cooler of local bottled microbrews.

Can't wait for the show!

Tracey

Hi Master!!
I'm agree surely with the rhythm speech!! :)
You teach it to us.. and show it to the perfection, everytime that put your hands on drum!! :) :)

Master, one curiosity it's simply niiiicee :
In Live, Every time you do a feel, or a particular paradiddle on splash or some other your contraption (What I envy :p) i see Colin edwin smiiile :) Whyyy?? and it's fun :)

( IN MY OPINION HE IS PLEASED TO HEAR THAT CHARGE YOU GIVE HIM ) :) :) :) :)

GooD WorK Master!! and Good day!!

-!! LiStEn YoUr ViBeS !!-
Fabio

Hi Gavin, how are you?
I have created a many 14 "snare with round edge, with keller drum shell: 10ply7,6mm/8ply5mm/15ply1cm and last snare 14x5 - 4mm 6ply, this snare very thin shell, the sound very much dark one, but this have much more ring sound. I read many words around large air hole around snare:"Large air holes increase volume and attack, while reducing the tone of the shell sound". What do you think about? I read this in www.precisiondrum.com. You know other methods for muff'l the sound without to change the sound?
very very very thanks!! will be able a day I to reward you?......
Angelo

Hey Gavin

What awesome news about the upcoming EP "Nil Recurring". I can't wait!!! Are you guys playing any of the 4 songs live at any of your shows? Oh how I love EPs!!!

Hi Gavin
How are you, can you say me disposition of your cup chimes low to high?

I have disposition this therefore: 1 3 2 4 5
1 it is lowest 5 it is highest
Thanks a lot
Angelo

Hi tobi283

You mentioned that many of your fills played live are improvised. Well how about hatesong on the "arriving somewhere" dvd? is that kind of solo in the end improvised too? and what about all these genious fills douring the song?
you won't come to austria, will you ?

Yes the ending on that song is always improvised, same with the fills during the song. There is a chance we may come to Austria - but wait until it is confirmed.

Hi Fabio,

In Live, Every time you do a feel, or a particular paradiddle on splash or some other your contraption (What I envy :p) i see Colin edwin smiiile :) Whyyy??

Colin tends to smile at anything, he walks around with that grin on his face most of the day - he must be a very happy person.

Hi angelo,

I read many words around large air hole around snare:"Large air holes increase volume and attack, while reducing the tone of the shell sound". What do you think about? You know other methods for muff'l the sound without to change the sound?

I have no experience of having large holes in the shells of my drums. The only type of muffling I use are "O" rings placed on top of the snare drum - and sometimes inside a floor tom.

can you say me disposition of your cup chimes low to high? I have disposition this therefore: 1 3 2 4 5. 1 it is lowest 5 it is highest

I have them the same as you.

Hi Gibbersticks,

...about the upcoming EP "Nil Recurring". I can't wait!!! Are you guys playing any of the 4 songs live at any of your shows?

It's a possibility but we haven't decided yet. Need to try them in rehearsals first.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Fabio,

In Live, Every time you do a feel, or a particular paradiddle on splash or some other your contraption (What I envy :p) i see Colin edwin smiiile :) Whyyy??

Colin tends to smile at anything, he walks around with that grin on his face most of the day - he must be a very happy person.

Haha, i noticed this at the shows, and on the DVD, he smiles a lot!!

Gavin, i recently read the interview with you, Dave Mackintosh and Rob Rolfe from Download, in this months edition of 'Drummer'. Did you enjoy playing Download? I guess you don't play many festivals?

Also, do you do clinics often? I recently went to Drumfest, and i was really impressed with the clinics. Do you do clinics, if so, do you have any coming soon? I'd love to go to one.

I can't wait for the upcoming EP, unfortunately i can't go to any of the shows your playing in november, do you know if any more are being arranged?

Thanks

Mike

Hey Gavin

I was also wondering if you guys have, or have been planning to record (video/audio) any shows on this tour? I for one would love another PT DVD.

cheers
Daniel

Hi volume_3,

Did you enjoy playing Download? I guess you don't play many festivals?

Personally I don't love playing at festivals because of the chaos and lack of sound checking. Somehow it always ends up sounding so different to what you are normally used to. I suppose it's the fact that as a drummer you can't hear and feel the room as you can in say a theatre. I end up trying to compensate myself by playing too hard and then I hurt my hands. We've actually played quite a few festivals this year.

Also, do you do clinics often? Do you do clinics, if so, do you have any coming soon? I'd love to go to one.

I do make clinics but not in the UK since 1998. I don't know why - it never seems to really happen.

Hi Gibbersticks,

I was also wondering if you guys have, or have been planning to record (video/audio) any shows on this tour? I for one would love another PT DVD.

Yes we'd love to do another one. We're working on the logistics of it now.

Cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

Enjoying your vacation?

Reading some of your answers regarding the 40-page long forum dillema for recurring questions etc, you say you'll hopefully have a answer for that soon, could you tell a little more about that? Are you setting up a new website or a FAQ section on your website or something?

Also regarding the S-Hoops, my snare always collects lots of debris (stick shavings, dust) between the head and the rim, so sometimes I'll turn it upside down to get rid of it, but with an S-Hoop that won't work, do you have the same problem? Or do you replace your heads so frequently that there's no debris.

Greetz,
Dre

Hi Gavin
Hi crookedrook,

There's an Italian drum manufacturer who makes a hole in the shell of the bass drum - so you can angle a mic in there - that way you could keep the front head uncut. I don't know how this would sound - but it's an interesting idea.

View attachment 11654

It's a very interesting idea, this is a principle of bass drum front head, you cut head becouse increase volume and attack, while reducing the tone and sustain of the shell sound. Perhaps we can to use this principle direct in the drum shell.this is optimal for snare drum sustain reduction. What do you think about? thaks a lot Angelo

Hi Gavin,
Finally i I have tried 14x5 snare drum 4mm,round edge, large hole(2inch) this sound very-very beautiful,volume is much more high and thin shell produces low frequency. I have tried this with two sm57 microphone one on top and one in large air hole.I can used tree microphone on top ,bottom and one inside.
"this is best experiment" thanks for experience. -From the photo we are arrives you to the sound- "this is magic".
thanks a lot you are best drummer in the world and very special person
Angelo

Visuals

Hey Gavin,

I have a question about your visuals in the porcupine tree show.
I was at your show in offenbach (germany) and i wondered how the videos are so synchron to the music. is it because of a click, which you hear on your monitorsound or because of the lightengineer, who starts the videos?

If you hear a click than is it all in 4/4 or did you convert it in the right meters?

Thanks for your insperation!

PS: sorry about my english and see you (but you not me;) ) on 4rd december in cologne!

Back