Headset mics??

Fishbone Stretch

A bit of "sound" advice needed here.

Can anyone recommend a good headset mic that would be plugged into the PA for doing mainly backing but occasional lead vocs?

I need something that will pick up just my vocs and not the noise of the kit and although cost is not really a factor I don't want to pay hundreds of pounds for something that will get minimal use.

Any links would be great. I am in UK so only UK sites please!!

Fishbone Stretch

A bit of "sound" advice needed here.

Can anyone recommend a good headset mic that would be plugged into the PA for doing mainly backing but occasional lead vocs?

I need something that will pick up just my vocs and not the noise of the kit and although cost is not really a factor I don't want to pay hundreds of pounds for something that will get minimal use.

Any links would be great. I am in UK so only UK sites please!!

Fishbone Stretch

No matter what you use for a mic you are going to get the kit bleeding thru, its unavoidable, headeset or handheld dont matter, thats what mics do.

I have tried several different headset mics and although being a fan of Shure products found their headset mics do not have the sound quality offered by others. The best quality for the price to be used behind the kit was an Audio-Technica atm73a with sound quality every bit as good as an atm41he or beta58. Its light, stays put on your head, has a roll of switch on the side so you can turn it off and on yourself if the sound guy forgets to and it can run off battery or phantom power if need be.

Also I dont care for any of the mics that hang off your ears as I find they either move around while playing drums or they cause pressure points and start to hurt after wearing for extended periods of time.

Last edited:
ProCo also makes a great device called a 'Sign Off' which is a foot-operated mute switch to shut the headset mic off when you're not using it as well. I highly recommend everyone with a headset to have one as all headset mics do not have a on-off switch. Unless you're operating the mixing console and have control over your mic.

I like the Shure WM20 headset mic. It's a dynamic mic that doesn't need phantom power and in the states it only cost me $100. Very close to sounding like an old Shure SM58. Reliable and low maintenance, not prone to feedback, and it's rejection isn't bad, either.

Back