Yamaha Double Pedal DFP9500C ?

pilau

Hi everybody, I ask for you help in information about this pedal I saw at a shop. But some background first:

In the past few months I was very interested in the Iron Cobra double pedal. I tried it at a store and it fitted me nicely. I have tried Pearl, DW, and Gibraltar pedals but I liked the IC most.

So anyway, today I went to this store where I tried the IC and they brought this other pedal, the Yamaha DFP9500C. I tried it and I was overwhelmed! It was so fast! Unbelievable! I could really keep a very fast and steady beat with and consider that I have no experience with double pedal drumming at all!

The thing is, you see, I tried looking for some reviews about it on the internet and found nothing.

I'm looking for some information on it's adjustabilty, durabilty and reliabilty.

Please, if you know someone who uses this peal or an internet source, point me to it! Thanks a lot!

Hi everybody, I ask for you help in information about this pedal I saw at a shop. But some background first:

In the past few months I was very interested in the Iron Cobra double pedal. I tried it at a store and it fitted me nicely. I have tried Pearl, DW, and Gibraltar pedals but I liked the IC most.

So anyway, today I went to this store where I tried the IC and they brought this other pedal, the Yamaha DFP9500C. I tried it and I was overwhelmed! It was so fast! Unbelievable! I could really keep a very fast and steady beat with and consider that I have no experience with double pedal drumming at all!

The thing is, you see, I tried looking for some reviews about it on the internet and found nothing.

I'm looking for some information on it's adjustabilty, durabilty and reliabilty.

Please, if you know someone who uses this peal or an internet source, point me to it! Thanks a lot!

As an iron cobra owner, i can assure you there are lots of adjustments you can make with the pedals, just look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksnjd1IDq00

I own both a 9415 direct drive - the older FD - and 9500 direct drive, which I would recommend over chain drive. I previously owned Pearl Eliminators and have used plenty of other pedals, but the Flying Dragon pedals are without a doubt my favorites. They're super adjustable, well-built, and extremely smooth. They're not super heavy like Eliminators and not super light like Iron Cobras. There are some major improvements and drawbacks of the 9500 to the 9415 that I wrote about a while ago:

The Good: It's smoother and looks less industrial. The new springs are black and the whole pedal has been streamlined and modernized, which makes for the best looking pedal on the market. The adjustments are all done with a drum key, so no more Allen wrench. The driveshaft is much heavier-duty and the beaters are a vast improvement over the old one. A great improvement is that the new hoop clamp is all rubber, so no more hoop-marring metal clamp. The new case is like the Eliminator case and the pedal doesn't fold up, which I like, but some others who like the portability of the old pedal will hate.

The Bad: It no longer comes with a drum key, which isn't a big deal, but for that much money you should get one. The beater, which is no longer round felt, is not self-aligning.

The Fatal: You can no longer convert it from a double into two singles. The old slave pedal came with a hoop clamp, so all you needed to do was switch the spring and beater from one side to the other and you'd have two singles. Although you can switch the spring to the slave pedal, the base is completely different. If you only want to use it as a double it's perfect, as it has spikes where the hoop clamp should be that will keep the pedal stationary on carpet. The beater assembly is also absent on the slave pedal.

The new pedal is the ultimate double pedal, as it comes with a stabilizer instead of a hoop clamp, but it can't convert to a single in 30 seconds like the old Flying Dragon. If you only want a double pedal it's a great choice, and IMO the best choice, but if you want to switch between a double and two singles like I do it's not the right pedal for you.

I've used these pedals extensively, so if you have any questions let me know.

Polymetrix thanks for your quick reply. I am actually talking specifically on the 9500C :) I don't realy like direct drive pedals, I prefer chain drive.

Just as a note, the 9500C actually felt lighter to me than the Cobras, but more tight, if you get my drift.

Can you tell me what exactly can be adjusted on the 9500C double pedal? Thanks again.

Polymetrix thanks for your quick reply. I am actually talking specifically on the 9500C :) I don't realy like direct drive pedals, I prefer chain drive.

Just as a note, the 9500C actually felt lighter to me than the Cobras, but more tight, if you get my drift.

Can you tell me what exactly can be adjusted on the 9500C double pedal? Thanks again.
Axis is a poor representation of direct drive. That nasty light feeling is because of the pedal's construction. If it was chain drive it would still feel that nasty. Direct drive doesn't feel that much different than chain drive. It's an easier pedal to play. The direct drive one only has two adjustments: The beater adjustment and the independent footboard height adjustment. The chain drive is probably the same. I've played and loved the double chain Flying Dragons, so the new model should be just as amazing as the 9500D.

Ok. Can you adjust the beater angle freely from the footboard like in the Iron Cobra?
Yes. The old pedal needed an Allen wrench, but the new one is completely drumkey adjustable. Pretty much all professional pedals come with that option. I highly, highly suggest these pedals over anything else on the market. The direct drives even more so. I'll only go back to chain drive if my Yamahas break and they're taken off the market. Trick makes some nice pedals, but they're way to expensive. Axis... eww. They're disgusting. Those are the last pedals I'd use.

Well I don't realy like direct-drive. I tried the Demons and I didn't really like how it felt, so.. it was like a precursor :)

I prefer chain drive. What can you say about that Yamaha pedals' durabilty?

Well I don't realy like direct-drive. I tried the Demons and I didn't really like how it felt, so.. it was like a precursor :)

I prefer chain drive. What can you say about that Yamaha pedals' durabilty?
They're built in Yamaha's motorcycle factory. I think they're the most durable pedals on the market. Even though I'm not into chain-drive, of any chain drive pedal, the Flying Dragon pedal is my favorite.

I think the direct or chain is personal preference. Not every drummer likes it.

I use the new DFP9500CL (lefty ;) ) and I love it.

Ps I used it as separate pedals, although it doesn't have a clamp its great as backup (it has spikes and no slip bottom)

I sell it now since I got a vintage FP-910

4ddfea6c5c714.jpg

Its over 30 years old (looks like new) but it has more options, can be used from 16'' to 28'' kicks and is easier to transport. Love it!

Last edited:
ive used the flying dragon chain double for almost ten years, last year i bought the 2008 direct drive version, to this day i have never had a problem with either and never broken peice one, and im a stomper. some of the best pedals out there IMO.

Thanks guys. I will go to the stor and check both pedals comprehensively. I will update according to my decision :)

I got this pedal about a month ago and I’m a bit disappointed in it to be honest. It was a toss up between this and the Taye pedal, which I could get either for $320 at the time. I’ll stick with this one, possibly (hopefully) for life, but if it got stolen I would probably not get it again.

PROS:

The drum key set up is the main reason I went with this pedal, it’s a must in my opinion.

All in all it plays fine and seems pretty solid.

CONS:

My biggest peeve is that the hoop clamp is actually a bit to the right of the right beater! So if the clamp is centered (where is should be) the right beater is either dead center of even slightly left, meaning the left beater is WAY OFF. Seems to me like it would make sense to have everything centered as a whole. As a side note, it’s either unstable on my e-drum pad, if I want the beaters centered. Or, if I want the clamp centered, it’s stable, but the left beater is so far off to the left that it doesn’t trigger as loud.

The beaters just feel cheap. They are incredibly light, and the plastic part seems hollow and even sounds like a toy, with a cheap plastic-y attack. On a practice pad, they are the loudest beaters I have ever heard, in a bad way. Gonna have to pony up $40 for new ones.

The heel part of the slave pedal often rotates inwards on me. The two spikes that are meant to stabilize it almost seem like they are too close together to be effective. Hopefully I can find a work-around to this.

It’s not as smooth as I thought a high end pedal would be. Flick the beater and it only swings a few time before coming to dead stop. Other high end pedals that I have seen tend to swing for a while.

The springs don't get that tight, (like all Yamaha pedals I've tried). I don't mind it, but you can't really get that heavy feel like the Pearl or DW pedals I've used in the past.

It's not completely silent (I don’t really care much about this one, it’s quiet enough for any real world situation).

Not a fan of the sales technique. What if you want the long-board version and the dual beaters? Why is the short-board more expensive? I also wish that they would mention the board length in the description of both pedals (8500 and 9500) instead of saying one is long (8500), and saying nothing about the other, because to the naked eye they look the same except the beaters of course.

Been playing on the Flying Dragons for years. Great pedals. Wish they kept the quick release clamp, its a great feature. They are as adjustable as every other high end pedal out there, and the adjustments are easy to do. The felt beaters are the lightest beaters I have ever come across, and I love them.

The drive shaft on the double pedal is probably the worst one out of all the high end pedals tho. You can always upgrade to an Axis shaft at a later date.
If you really want to crank the springs, you should probably go with a shorter Tama spring, not a biggie at under $5.

Yamaha's always made great hardware.

Back