Let's talk Remo

drummerjims

Back Story (skip down a paragraph if you dont want to read): So I have been playing Evans drum heads since I started playing 13 years ago. I always used coated or clear G2's over clear G1's. Great heads. I have also used an emad on the bass with the small ring in place. Even though these are great heads I was never able to get my snare to sound right. I tried genra, g1's, G2's, dry, and ec reverse dots. as well as different types of Resos. So about a year ago I say a video with Clayton Cameron Demoing the Remo Skyntone. At the time I was playing a lot of brushes and decided to go ahead and buy one. It was love at first listen. The head held up so much longer than my evans heads too. A week ago I bought a new Vintage A for my snare and I love it as well. Remo where have you been all of my life? so right now I am on a Remo Kick and after I finishing buying everyone Christmas presents I am probably going to order a Ludwig Classic maple. So I figured it would be good to get a few sets of heads to play around with before they come in.

Now for the important part: I have been looking at black dots, vintage ambassadors and emperors, and Ambassador X heads for the batter. What do you think for the resos. If I go with black dots I want clear. but I'm not sure about the coated heads. Should I go a Clear, coated, or smooth white ambassador with coated resos? Has anyone tried the smooth whites as a reso?

I would really like to hear your experiences. Especially with the black dots. I think they would be cool with my more rock oriented stuff. I'm not a huge fill guy I normally only play 1 beat fills sometimes 2 beats. Or I do some accents and build ups on the toms.

I'm not interested in any other brands for right now. I figure after I give Remo's A try I will go to Aquarians.

I use smooth whites as the reso on my Ludwig Centennials, they have a super awesome look, and provide a slightly warmer sound than clear heads - I don't know why more people don't use them. For the batters, if you can afford it, buy one of each for just one tom, and try each one until you find your favorite, then buy the rest of the heads you need. It'll save you lots of money long-term if you're like me and are always trying new heads.

I use smooth whites as the reso on my Ludwig Centennials, they have a super awesome look, and provide a slightly warmer sound than clear heads - I don't know why more people don't use them. For the batters, if you can afford it, buy one of each for just one tom, and try each one until you find your favorite, then buy the rest of the heads you need. It'll save you lots of money long-term if you're like me and are always trying new heads.

I wasn't like you but I will be soon haha. I really don't mind buying a whole set of batters because I only use a 12" and 14". But I personally hate changing out reso heads all the time. I know I shouldn't because the resonant head matters just as much as the batter but I have never really had a problem with them on toms. I am glad to hear you are using the smooth whites as a resonant head and liking it. That is kind of what I am going for. I like warmth not a super dry thud. Just a nice warm sound. Of coarse I would like to try out the black dots just to get that slappy sound. I have tried the clear pinstripes and I wasn't a fan of those. they were close to what I like but not really. There was just something about them that I can't pinpoint.

For years, I had a 14" Remo djembe hand drum, the head looks about the same as is on their mondo snare. It was very fun to play and easy on the hands, but it wasn't quite loud enough for electrics, and wasn't well accepted by the traditionalists, it didn't quite have that cutting slap tone that hide djembes have. I played it using sticks and brushes in my set for a while as a floor tom, but it was in the same size and range as my snare so, I decided to sell it. It was great for out door gigs though. I think Remo has a bit of a brand problem, because of all the kids toys they sell.

I'm running Coated Ambassador over Coated Ambassadors on all my toms (12R-14F-16F), and its freaking killer. I love the punchy warmth that combination gives.

The only problem I run into is on my 12: at high tunings that coated reso will choke the batter a bit sooner than I think it should. But I like the idea of Smooth white resos. That will very likely help that problem, while keep the look the same. I'm also looking at coated Diplomats for resos, which were recommended to me by another forum member here.

If I'm being totally honest, one of the main reasons why I use Remo heads is the visual aspect. There's something about that logo that just fits. It really has that timeless, classic look to it.

The Evans logo, to me, looks cheap and distracting.

At the moment I have coated Vintage Emperors on my Vistalites and they sound great!

Years ago I used Remos, and got out of drumming for a while. when I got back in, I went with Evans, but had a few issues with collar depth on my snare reso heads. they were too deep, and could hardly get they snare cords through the gates when tuned up. The rim was about parallel to teh head, and these were the new 360 heads. I have since gone back to Rermo, and an delighted with that classic sound that they give. Coated Ambassadors and rennaisance work great, as well as their resos.

I'm running Coated Ambassador over Coated Ambassadors on all my toms (12R-14F-16F), and its freaking killer. I love the punchy warmth that combination gives.

The only problem I run into is on my 12: at high tunings that coated reso will choke the batter a bit sooner than I think it should. But I like the idea of Smooth white resos. That will very likely help that problem, while keep the look the same. I'm also looking at coated Diplomats for resos, which were recommended to me by another forum member here.
See I like the warmer sound and sometimes I run my 12 god awful high (when playing jazz) I am kind of wondering now if the smooths or the coated diplomats are the way to go. Its not so much the look for me. Even though I would never run clears over white or coated because that looks stupid IMO. Kind of make me a hypocrite I guess.

If I'm being totally honest, one of the main reasons why I use Remo heads is the visual aspect. There's something about that logo that just fits. It really has that timeless, classic look to it.

At the moment I have coated Vintage Emperors on my Vistalites and they sound great!

I have almost always ran 2 ply on my toms for rock. I think I may go Coated Vintage ambassadors over smooth whites and black dots over clear ambassadors.

Years ago I used Remos, and got out of drumming for a while. when I got back in, I went with Evans, but had a few issues with collar depth on my snare reso heads. they were too deep, and could hardly get they snare cords through the gates when tuned up. The rim was about parallel to teh head, and these were the new 360 heads. I have since gone back to Rermo, and an delighted with that classic sound that they give. Coated Ambassadors and rennaisance work great, as well as their resos.

I have had numerous problems with Evans. However when they sound good they really do sound good. I had a 10" head that was dead. I thought my drum was out of round but it wasn't I have had the same problem with rim being almost parallel with the head as well. The snare head I like is the dry however I like to play brushes and my bristles get hung up sometimes in those. I also had some problems with their marching heads (I'm a drumline instructor) I'm not bashing Evans I think they are great. I'm sure I will probably have problems with Remo too, nobody is perfect. But for me after so many years with evans I am ready to explore the world of drum heads.

Those suede heads look nice too. However I'm not sure how they would sound with brushes when I play jazz.

I'm using CA's over CA's on all my kits. Have been for years (stopped fighting it haha!).
It's just a combo that gets "that sound" I want over anything else.
I play mostly hard rock, and heavy blues/rock, and have no durability issues with the Ambassadors (was kinda afraid to try it before I went all in though). I use double butt end sticks most of the time, and I don't dent them either. They are a pretty robust head.

I have used the Smooth White head as a reso and it's a nice tone compared to the clear. It's resonance was in between a clear and coated for me.
I also used a SW Emp as a bass drum batter and a reso head, and it works well too. As a reso, the tone was a little deeper, but the drum was just as responsive.
It worked really well actually.

A coated, or clear Diplomat on the bottom will give less sustain than an Ambassador, but you can play with the tension relationship between the heads (both the same, or one tighter) pretty easily without stretching them out too bad. A little tension difference makes a difference faster for me with a Diplomat, than an Ambassador.

The coating on the last couple Remo heads I've gotten as been a bit more rough coated than times past, so maybe they got back to the old way of doing it or something.

I'm running black suede emp's over black suede amb's on my toms and I like it well enough. Pretty warm with good resonance. Thing is is that I kinda like the slap in the initial attack with clear heads. I'm thinking I'll try out the clear black dots on top next time for that slap and a bit more open sound. I'm keeping the suede's on the bottom though.

I would say that the suedes wouldn't be rough enough for a good brush sound on the snare, but you never know. I have Aquarians version of the coated black dot on my snare and the coating will just not go away. Lasts way longer than any Remo I've ever had. They're pricier than the Remos but worth it IMO.

If someone asked my opinion I would advise against Diplomat weight heads as reso heads. I went and bought a whole set and they lasted for 1 gig. They don't add anything, there's not as much bottom end, and the note is shorter. The drum is a little more responsive, maybe a tiny bit crisper, but it's at the expense of warmth. Plus it dies too fast. JMO.

I agree so wholeheartedly that I am now unable to love because my heart is completely occupied with agreeing here. Thanks a lot.

No, but really, the Remo logo isn't the greatest logo in the world, but AH does it look good. The implied triangle of the crown & head information just gets me every time. By contrast, the Evans logo has that bizarre mish-mash of gross oval, weird font, and now is even busier with the Level 360 part. Aquarian's name is just too long to make a good drumhead logo out of IMO, though I don't think they've done a terrible job per se.

I hope D'addario redesigns Evans' brand like they did Promark, because I prefer Evans for my clear heads (which I use more than coated) and dislike looking at them pretty badly... or I wish Remo would make some thicker 1-ply clear heads. Oh well, at least I can still get X14s.

The oval logo reminds me of way too many pop/punk/metal/what-have-you band logos of the 90´s.
Might look good as a sticker on a skateboard, tho..

And it is funny, since the Remo logo really isn't the best logo in the world, but on a drumhead it just looks the business!
It's all in the context

Black dots with clear ambassador resos will give you lots of attack and a bright sound from the toms. Think Alex Van Halen on the first two Van Halen album. It's kind of a unique sound, but I like it in certain applications.

I have primarily used clear Ambassadors for resos, but have experimented with clear Diplomats as well as coated Ambassadors. I've tried smooth white Ambassadors as batters but never resos.

Coated resos with coated batters, especially Emps, give a very short but warm note. A clear Ambassador reso opens up and brightens the tone.

When I tried smooth white Ambassadors on the batter side, I found them just a touch warmer and more subdued that clears, but not much, so I doubt you would notice a huge difference between them and clears as resos. Just a guess - as I said, I haven't used the smooth whites as resos.

I'm using CA's over CA's on all my kits. Have been for years (stopped fighting it haha!).

I should probably stop fighting it as well. I have always steered away from coated resos because I have always been told that's not what you should do. however I think CA's over CA's would give me the warmth and feel I want. I'm not too hard of a hitter.

I have used the Smooth White head as a reso and it's a nice tone compared to the clear. It's resonance was in between a clear and coated for me.

This is what keeps bringing me back to the Smooth Whites.

A coated, or clear Diplomat on the bottom will give less sustain than an Ambassador, but you can play with the tension relationship between the heads (both the same, or one tighter) pretty easily without stretching them out too bad. A little tension difference makes a difference faster for me with a Diplomat, than an Ambassador.

I would say that the suedes wouldn't be rough enough for a good brush sound on the snare

Thats what I didn't want to here I sweep on all of my drums so that is a killer. I kind of figured that would be the case though.

If someone asked my opinion I would advise against Diplomat weight heads as reso heads. I went and bought a whole set and they lasted for 1 gig. They don't add anything, there's not as much bottom end, and the note is shorter. The drum is a little more responsive, maybe a tiny bit crisper, but it's at the expense of warmth. Plus it dies too fast. JMO.

I'm not looking for crisp I'm looking for warm. I also like resonance. When I say resonance I don't mean loud overtones. I like that ohmff sound. I have never had a problem getting that sound but I have also never had diplomats either. haha

Black dots with clear ambassador resos will give you lots of attack and a bright sound from the toms. Think Alex Van Halen on the first two Van Halen album. It's kind of a unique sound, but I like it in certain applications.

I also feel like I would like it in certain situations. Even though I love me some Van Halen (Diamond Dave not Sammy Hagar) I was thinking more of a Tony Williams thing. Honestly Me originally wanting black dots is all for the look of black dots. However I would never be able to play them If I hated the sound. So now I am trying to justify it.

I also feel like I would like it in certain situations. Even though I love me some Van Halen (Diamond Dave not Sammy Hagar) I was thinking more of a Tony Williams thing. Honestly Me originally wanting black dots is all for the look of black dots. However I would never be able to play them If I hated the sound. So now I am trying to justify it.

As I've read through the thread, I keep picking up that you want a warm sound - that is why you keep thinking about the smooth white resos, right? I think, if that is the sound you are naturally most drawn towards, the black dots would disappoint you for all around usage. That is just a gut feeling based on a number of your comments.

There are many who will disagree with me here, but I really don't prefer Tony Williams' "black dot sound." I love his playing, and he made that sound a part of HIS sound, but... it just isn't my favorite. I mentioned Van Halen because I feel that is a context in which that sound is perfect. Sheer personal opinion there. Do with it what you will, lol.

Another vote for smooth white for warmth. Agree w/ Black dots, never liked the tone. Sorry Bo!

I do want that warm sound but I also want something way out of the norm for me. More so to play around with. It may not be something I every play live. Sometimes a new sound brings new creativity.

Another vote for smooth white for warmth. Agree w/ Black dots, never liked the tone. Sorry Bo!

A vote for me as well. I have smooth whites on all of my toms. when my snare head wears out I may put one on there as well. they really sound nice on a vintage kit. Cant get away from my superkick 2 though.

Back