I HATE BEING IN A BAND SOMETIMES

What he said. The boss will sort it out.

Thing is, the boss is discouraged and thinking of shutting shop, hence Doggie's problem. Management of any undertaking takes a lot of energy and motivation, and being undermined can be de-energising.

So I think it's worthwhile to give the band leader some moral support so he'll want to keep the gig happening. Ideally, the other band members would get together to reassure the bandleader that his efforts are greatly appreciated. Maybe get together and buy him a couple of bottles of high quality champers as a thank you?

If this is a paid professional gig being run by a leader with 9 people in his employ, there is no need for the drummer to say anything. Let the band leader deal with this.

Agreed Wy.....but unfortunately in this case, it looks like the band leader is seriously looking at throwing in the towel as his only option. In this one instance, if it were me, I'd speak up and try to preserve my gig too.

EDIT: Sorry Pol....you beat me to the punch. I feel a little redundant now. Missed it by that much

I can understand your frustration as it seems like you really enjoy this gig and obviously getting money from playing music. That said, I'm going to put myself in the minority real quick. Not knowing the full situation like the guy's attitude or what have you, I can understand where he's coming from wanting to play more challenging things. I think when a person puts a lot of time into learning their instrument and really being able to play it, they want to feel like they're getting the chance to utilize all the things that they've learned. Also, I've had a guitar-player friend from school who just left a very similar situation, not so much because he wanted more of a challenge but because he didn't like his bandmates and most of all felt burnt out. He also had been with this group for several years and was making several hundred a weekend (which gig-less me was of course jealous of). My point here is that perhaps in addition to wanting a challenge he might just be burnt out after a few years of going through the routine. Again, I fully understand your frustration because he's putting something you love in jeopardy, but I would just say that there are two sides to every story.

Edit: "So I think it's worthwhile to give the band leader some moral support so he'll want to keep the gig happening." This a really good idea. Get the people who are still committed to get the bandleader's head straight. And champagne never hurts...

Agreed Wy.....but unfortunately in this case, it looks like the band leader is seriously looking at throwing in the towel as his only option. In this one instance, if it were me, I'd speak up and try to preserve my gig too.
I think a private conversation/pep talk with the leader is cool, but if the band is entirely operated by a leader it is entirely his call if the band lives or dies. There are fantastic advantages being in a leader run band as opposed to those blasted equal partnership deals that are always a problem. The biggest is the sideman has no responsibility other than to play and get paid. For that tremendous opportunity you stay out of his way. Unfortunately that also includes his choice to either sustain or break up his own band.

I think bands come and go as a matter of habit.

Thing is, the boss is discouraged and thinking of shutting shop, hence Doggie's problem. Management of any undertaking takes a lot of energy and motivation, and being undermined can be de-energising.

I did not catch that part! I would be pissed as well. Also it's a couple of guys not one guy. Does sound like trouble. The Boss plainly does this for fun and when the funs over most normal humans quit. I now understand the frustration.

I did not catch that part! I would be pissed as well. Also it's a couple of guys not one guy. Does sound like trouble. The Boss plainly does this for fun and when the funs over most normal humans quit. I now understand the frustration.

I missed it too. Am reading on a phone screen. The short answer it sack the problem musician. This can be hard, but not as hard as getting the act together in the first place and then holding it together. Remind the leader of his efforts. They should not be undermined by one personality who is clearly only seeking his own glory and is not a team player.

The band leader will come around and find another guitar player.
He is just frustrated at the moment.
That is the only logical answer.

My simple advise to you is just be a sideman. Its awesome. I gave up on the band thing like 20 years ago and it has served me well with tons less agrevation.
I am just a sideman, I show up,shut up, and play the material I am asked to play. Thats it end of story. Its like finding out the company you work for may go under and close the doors.
Kind of a powerless feeling. There are other gigs of course, but I like this one.

I am just a sideman, I show up,shut up, and play the material I am asked to play. Thats it end of story. Its like finding out the company you work for may go under and close the doors.
Kind of a powerless feeling. There are other gigs of course, but I like this one.

Is this situation really as fragile as you make it out to be? We're talking about a guitarist. Is he so irreplaceable??? I thought they grew on trees. 9 people cannot so easily succumb surely????

Is it a band with gigs or a house of cards?

If this is a paid professional gig being run by a leader with 9 people in his employ, there is no need for the drummer to say anything. Let the band leader deal with this.

You are correct. I will keep you updated as to what happens. Thanks to everyone who responded. I needed someplace to vent ,So why not share it with my fellow drummers.

Is this situation really as fragile as you make it out to be? We're talking about a guitarist. Is he so irreplaceable??? I thought they grew on trees. 9 people cannot so easily succumb surely????

Is it a band with gigs or a house of cards?

Its stupid drama is what it is. I am not going to get caught up in it. right know I am sitting back and watching what happens. We are playing tomorrow night, ragardless I am going to have fun.

You are correct. I will keep you updated as to what happens. Thanks to everyone who responded. I needed someplace to vent ,So why not share it with my fellow drummers.

Why not indeed. I think you need not worry. I have seen this BS before. There are too many personalities involved with an interest in keeping it alive. Screw him.

Yesdog, what do you throw a drowning guitarist?

His amp.

:)

How can you say classic rock music isn't challenging?

It's every bit as challenging and more enjoyable than jazz in my book

Ya some guys are just prima donas and you have to learn to live with them since you can't legally shoot them. What is it about guitar players? About half of them are damn decent guys and the other half are arseholes. If the guy wants to play more challenging stuff, tell him to join another band. GEEZ! It ain't rocket science.

I think your attitude about the gig is as professional as it gets.You show up prepared,and play whats expected of you.Does anyone think that guys like Gadd,Aronoff,Vinny,Wells,or any pro you can think of,show up at a gig and say"I can't play that...its not challenging enough for me".!!!!.Reguardless of how good a player is,if you become demanding and difficult to work with..the phone will stop ringing.Goodbye career.The minute you ego starts getting in the way,you are damaged goods:cowboy up.You're all hat and no cattle.Anyone is replaceable.If any player if frustrated to the point of not being challenged,then leave.Form you own band, and stop letting YOUR problem become everyone elses.

Check your ego at the door like a wet umbrella,and just play the da*n guitar.Rant over.

Steve B

Back