Does anyone play video games?

Wolvie56

I have all 3 of the Stalker games. Very cool and scary, especially when all the lights are off. Call of Pripyat is the best one straight out of the box without any mods. Clear Sky? What a mess. Shadow of Chernobyl is really cool if you mod it with the Oblivion Lost super mod.

Dude, yes! I have all of them. I love them for the setting and surroundings. It's really immersive and atmospheric.

Yeah man. I think it's the best 1st person shooter to come out since Half Life 2 .

A lot of people criticize gaming as somewhat of a kids toy, something you grow out of as you get older, personally I find it an exciting, creative medium full of artistic expression and creative thought.

Does anyone else share my sentiment? It would be nice to hear that someone else cares.

I think the BioShock series has a challenging aesthetic and critique of eugenic theory. That's just one example of a game that really does have something to say and I think this is true of many of the best games. I think they are a totally legitimate creative statement - although some more than others.

I love Bioshock and am an even bigger fan of the Half Life 2 series. They're becoming more and more like interactive movies where you experience the entire spectrum of emotions. Then there are the lighter hearted games like Little Big Planet and LBP2 that I play with my seven year old daughter. Those games were made by some very creative people. I just can't wait to see what's around the corner. If we could see ten or fifteen years into the future, it would blow our minds.

I love Bioshock and am an even bigger fan of the Half Life 2 series. They're becoming more and more like interactive movies where you experience the entire spectrum of emotions. Then there are the lighter hearted games like Little Big Planet and LBP2 that I play with my seven year old daughter. Those games were made by some very creative people. I just can't wait to see what's around the corner. If we could see ten or fifteen years into the future, it would blow our minds.

Ken Levine was inspired greatly by Half Life when creating Bioshock, it was a fantastic, original game, it was such a shame that the second one, while solid, re-used too much of what made the original good.

The next one looks particularly interesting, the whole concept behind it (a Freudian beauty and the beast love story mixed with a detective tale) looks incredibly detailed. The setting is not in Rapture either, rather a floating city, and the backstory behind that city looks really interesting.

I just got battlefield 2 for pc, I it's pretty fun and addictive (Taking away from my drumming time :p

I'll have to get off the habit before I'm sittin in front of the computer all day!

I just got battlefield 2 for pc, I it's pretty fun and addictive (Taking away from my drumming time :p

I'll have to get off the habit before I'm sittin in front of the computer all day!

My best mate just set up a rig with 2x ATI 8950 2gb cards running Eyefinity. Three 27" 120hz screens at once running BC2 in approximately 8000x2000 res.

My god but it is beautiful, and the sound with the surround on the floating floor we built, we could just sit there all day watching it.

I love playing Madden and MLB. Just like playing drums timing is everything.

I love playing Madden and MLB. Just like playing drums timing is everything.

Speaking of timing, I used to love playing guitar hero drums. I also used to compete in Street Fighter tournaments and my god does that game require some killer timing...

Good to see people that share similar interests; I have a taste for nicely done flash games that get freely distributed on the net aswell as FPSs.

I remember the first FPS I played was Golden Eye 007 on the Nintendo 64. Then in 2009 I played the game on a Nintendo 64 emulator on PC and it was still cool...the features of the game that were special for its time are still used in more recent FPS games...like splitscreen multiplayer, the slap action (which is replaced with melee action in many FPS games), aiming zoom etc.

Ken Levine was inspired greatly by Half Life when creating Bioshock, it was a fantastic, original game, it was such a shame that the second one, while solid, re-used too much of what made the original good.

I'm with you mostly. I like Half Life 2, but the original game is just better. My Uncle gave me a copy when I was about 12 for Christmas and it's a game that I fire up and really try to perfect, even now. It's the intensity of it that gets to me - no video sequences, very little time in scripted motion. It's just pure first-person and I love that.

One of the other games I still play from being very young (3!) is Prince of Persia. I've never managed to get beyond level 7 and it still drives me insane 19 years later.

I'm still a huge supporter of the "playability over graphics" ethos and while I love games like Half Life 2 and whatnot, I still go back to games like Super Mario Bros. for the NES and arcade games like Gauntlet, Track & Field, Paperboy, and the Sega classics like Enduro Racer, Space Harrier, Outrun (although Outrun2 is feckin' amazing!)

I'm with you mostly. I like Half Life 2, but the original game is just better. My Uncle gave me a copy when I was about 12 for Christmas and it's a game that I fire up and really try to perfect, even now. It's the intensity of it that gets to me - no video sequences, very little time in scripted motion. It's just pure first-person and I love that.

One of the other games I still play from being very young (3!) is Prince of Persia. I've never managed to get beyond level 7 and it still drives me insane 19 years later.

I prefer the original half life as well, but even that doesn't compete with Deus Ex, one of my all time favorite games. Made on the half-life engine, that game was an absolute revelation and there wouldn't be half the shooters with rpg elements like Mass Effect without it. The new one keeps getting delayed, but I'd say it would have to be my most anticipated game at the moment, and there are a few, I mean how good does the new Mortal Kombat look.

I'm still a huge supporter of the "playability over graphics" ethos and while I love games like Half Life 2 and whatnot, I still go back to games like Super Mario Bros. for the NES and arcade games like Gauntlet, Track & Field, Paperboy, and the Sega classics like Enduro Racer, Space Harrier, Outrun (although Outrun2 is feckin' amazing!)

Nothing wrong with that, I'm a first generation gamer and I regularly go back to my Master System/Megadrive and play long forgotten classics.

Nothing wrong with that, I'm a first generation gamer and I regularly go back to my Master System/Megadrive and play long forgotten classics.
No, there isn't...

I adore games like Outrun 2 and Half Life 2 and all that gumbo but come on... Playing stuff like Gauntlet on the MAME emulator or Paperboy just brings me back to a simpler time.

No, there isn't...

I adore games like Outrun 2 and Half Life 2 and all that gumbo but come on... Playing stuff like Gauntlet on the MAME emulator or Paperboy just brings me back to a simpler time.

While Nintendo and indy developers still bring out a handful of fantastic 2d platformers, there is something special about sticking in the cartridge and playing some Pirates of Dark Water or the Mickey Mouse Illusion series. Paperboy was certainly one of the better Atari games,

My best mate just set up a rig with 2x ATI 8950 2gb cards running Eyefinity. Three 27" 120hz screens at once running BC2 in approximately 8000x2000 res.

My god but it is beautiful, and the sound with the surround on the floating floor we built, we could just sit there all day watching it.

lol!!

Ummm... 7-series cards aren't even out yet; so it's likely that you mean to have a "6" in that model number? And the rez, well, you were kinda close; it'd either be 7680x1440 or 7680x1600.

I play Battlefield Bad Company 2 quite a bit; I have a decent rig set up, as I'm editor in chief of one of the oldest PC gaming hardware websites/communities... I've gotten the chance to review quite a bit of product pre-release over the years.

... These sorts of activities are cutting into time I'd rather spend working on album concepts, writing songs, promoting my band etc so there's a good possibility I may retire from gaming for good.

Rig specs:

• Phenom II x6 1055t @ 3.96ghz
  • Kingwin XT-1264 cooler with extra 120mm fan
  • Asus M4N98TD EVO nforce 980a SLI motherboard
  • 2x2gb A-DATA DDR3-1600
  • Present GPU: NVIDIA reference GTX 570; I used to have another one (SLI) but I recently sold it
  • Mushkin 60gb Sandforce SSD
  • 2x250gb WD2500KS RAID 0
  • Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case
  • Antec Earthwatts EA650 PSU
  • DVD drive (I'd like to have a Blu-Ray drive though)
  • Samsung B2430 24" 1080p LCD
  • Sanyo 27" 720p TV (secondary/couch display)
  • Kingwin slim keyboard
  • MS Sidewinder X5 mouse
  • Logitech Revolution/MX5500 (bluetooth couch keyboard/mouse)
  • Win 7 Ultimate
I dig Left 4 Dead 2 as well (and also Lost Planet 2, Meto 2033, Gears of War PC, Halo 2 PC, Mirror's Edge, HAWX 2 & others), but BC2 has had me under its thumb since the beta.

A brief history of my gaming: OG Nintendo and then I dropped off the face of the planet when it came to video games until the PS2. Aside from periodically hanging out with friends and playing with them. Goldeneye was the ish.

I had what you could consider a serious addiction to the Hitman franchise on the PS2 console, and I'm cop fighting mad about the fact that they haven't even gotten into the current gen console. Madden and NHL were also big for me. Not to mention GTA Vice City (the best GTA in my opinion) and San Andreas (the best GTA soundtrack).

All of the Call of Duty games have been pretty enjoyable on the PS3, I'm a bit partial to the Infinity Ward stuff myself. Metal Gear Solid has been great as well.

Although, I'm a little worried that games have gotten too immersive and elongated (maybe it's just from my perspective). I'm 26 now; I unfortunately don't have the time to spend hours playing Madden and honing my skills like I did 5-10 years ago. Metal Gear Solid, as cool as it is, is freaking loooooooong. My PS3 spins more DVDs and Blu-Ray discs than it does games now a days.

Back