Ironwood drum set

Loved it, it's an "ethnic" metal kit. Just awesome.

Haha, I have thought that myself. The kit does have a bit of heavy metal flair to it because of the deeper toms (it would certainly do well in a metal band) but all the drums are petite. The fact that they're carved from solid logs makes them close relatives of ethnic hand drums. I don't think I've ever seen a kit with these bass and tom sizes, which makes it all the more freaky.

Interesting pics from the gig. What type of music were you playing? Also, how is the flat setup working for you?

This is almost totally off-topic, but I thought DMC and the rest of you might find this very interesting... It's a hang-drum solo, and a fairly awesome one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TQXn5ba0aT8

Wow, that is some great playing. I see some conga technique in his playing. He is making good use of the gu side of the drum, or the hole in the bottom that allows you to bend and shape sound like a tabla, udu or talking drum. I just play mine mounted on a stand and I should start using that feature.

Interesting pics from the gig. What type of music were you playing? Also, how is the flat setup working for you?

We were playing smooth jazz, mostly elevator music with a few originals.

I am getting used to the flat setup now. It has required some adjustmet for the cymbals, as I am hitting the crashes on the top bow of the cymbal, not the edge, and I'm hitting with the shoulder of the stick. It seems like cymbal crashes are more explosive and responsive.

Using the shoulder of the stick to strike the bow gives an agressive, cutting sound indeed, I sometimes use that on my ride but havent really tried it with crashes - yet.
Your drum kit is a fine piece of work! I love the look of the fyberskins, and the foot-operated talking drum. And most of all the hang-drum, I'm looking to get one of my own but there's very few places to get one and the prices are very high.

Using the shoulder of the stick to strike the bow gives an agressive, cutting sound indeed, I sometimes use that on my ride but havent really tried it with crashes - yet.
Your drum kit is a fine piece of work! I love the look of the fyberskins, and the foot-operated talking drum. And most of all the hang-drum, I'm looking to get one of my own but there's very few places to get one and the prices are very high.

Thanks for the comments. The Fiberskyns have a natural, wild look which complements the set.

There are some other versions of the Hang set to come out soon, so stay tuned. They won't have the exact sound of the Hang, but some reputable pan makers are doing it so it will have a great sound all its own.

CONVERSION OF STANDARD PEDAL TO LONGBOARD

I'll post more detail on the hardware modification thread at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23501. In the meantime, here is how I modified a DW5000 into a longboard.

Fourstrings lamented the ridiculous expense of DW longboard and I popped off about how I could convert a standard into a longboard - he called my bluff and I had to try it just to see if I could. Total cost: $2 in bolts, $5 in shop costs, $30 for labor, about two hours of time for work and planning. Basically, I removed the heel plate and joined it to the footboard with a gusset, then attached the hinge to the heel plate.

The hardest part was fabricating the gusset. I sawed off a chunk of half-inch-thick steel plate. It's overkill, but it's what I had handy and you will never ever have to worry about the gusset failing. After careful measuring, I drilled holes to mount it to the heel plate and foot plate (you can see the smoke from the burning thread oil).
Long4.jpg

This is the only permanent modification I had to make to the pedal, drilling a couple of holes to re-mount the hinge. Other than this, the mod is completely reversible.
Long6.jpg

The gusset was ground and scrubbed clean, then painted and mounted.
Long13.jpg

As used in the set.
Long14.jpg

I have to admit I'm not too fond of the action of a longboard. I've strictly played a standard pedal for 25 years so the longboard feels weird. I imagine if I'd started with a longboard it would feel normal. So I will probably reverse this at some point, but at least I can say I did it and tried it out.

Awesome set! and your open handed (like me!) which makes it better since I can play it! (=

Thanks. There are a few people here whose sets I could walk right up to and play. I assume you have your hats and ride on the left? What do you play? Do you have a thread for your kit?

Yes, I have both my hats and rides on the left, There a bit hard to position because of their size (24 inch ride, 15 inch hats) bu I fair fine. and no I don't have a thread of my kit because it is far too shameful to post. =)

Yes, I have both my hats and rides on the left, There a bit hard to position because of their size (24 inch ride, 15 inch hats) bu I fair fine. and no I don't have a thread of my kit because it is far too shameful to post. =)

A 24-inch ride and 15-inch hats! That is insane, Citizen Insane! I'd like to see this set. What kinds of drums, etc.? Don't be ashamed. There are some people here with $20,000 sets that are boring as hell and people here with CB700s held together with baling wire that are inspiring.

A 24-inch ride and 15-inch hats! That is insane, Citizen Insane! I'd like to see this set. What kinds of drums, etc.? Don't be ashamed. There are some people here with $20,000 sets that are boring as hell and people here with CB700s held together with baling wire that are inspiring.

I play a (don't laugh) a 4 piece fender "starcaster" drum kit. Sizes are 12',16', and 22'. The drums themselves are appauling, but everything else I have is nice.

I use paiste 2002 cymbals, 15-inch hats,24-inch ride (both on my left side), and an 18-inch crash. The hats sound like heaven, crisp and highly responsive. (even for its size.) My ride is ok, I think its silly that people who have Bonham replica kits buy this ride, It is way more washy and gongy sounding than the ride you hear on the Zeppelin albums. And the 18 -inch crash is basically the crash sound I hear in my head.

My snare is a 14x7 Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Noveau. It sounds really nice, I tune it medium tight, So I get a nice crack along with plenty of meat.

The pedals I play are Tama Iron Cobra's. The hi-hat stand is IMO, the best on the market. The bass pedal is not really my thing, I prefer the DW 5000.

So thats my kit, I wish I can post pics but my camera has been acting screwy lately. (hope to get it fixed soon!)

Last edited:
I went to South Africa recently, and made it a point to look up, and take a picture of an ironwood tree, because I always thought an ironwood kit would be so cool.
ironwood tree.jpg

.....looks like any other tree, I suppose...

Cooktown ironwood grows only one place in the world: Queensland, Australia, which is the little horn that sticks up from the north and almost touches Indonesia (actually the area is about the size of Texas).
Haha great description.

DMC - I bet that thing is darn heavy and extremely loud?

Back