[REDACTED]

That makes at least two of us.....

By the way, I'm more middle-aged.

.I'm with Duncan,but I'm not a young guy.I just prefer using typing and speaking the King's to convey my meaning.

I'm not perfect at it by any means and I do make plenty of mistakes.

I post things occasionally than in hindsight,I should have thought about more carefully.But that's why the put erasers on pencils.

You know,pencils,made of of wood and graphite.The kind you can actually write with.:)

Steve B

I never abondoned my grammer nazi ways

Um, you misspelled "abandoned" and "grammar." ;-)

JK, JK, I'm just playing here. It seems that you have a good sense of humor, and I'm the class clown. Hehe!

I would rather not have to spoon feed those who don't understand my crude and sometimes 'dark' humour.

It is because there are some people here that I honestly don't know if they're being playful or not, which can be a problem.

You do see the irony here, don't you?

Somebody told me that Douglas Adams was a funny writer. I read The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, but there were no smileys, so I didn’t know where to laugh.

The difference can be an issue, especially when the other person might not comprehend what you're saying and misconstrue the entire meaning of it.

THIS has nothing to do with young vs old, written vs spoken word, emoticons or not. It has to do with clarity, how clear people can communicate. As emoticons are not words, and there is no body language on the internet, the clarity of what and how people write on messages (including this board) is all the more important. (warning: no emoticon here at end)

Somebody told me that Douglas Adams was a funny writer. I read The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, but there were no smileys, so I didn’t know where to laugh.
Like cue cards for 50s TV shows.....although my copy of 'Hitchhikers...' does have smileys AND simple pictures for prompts...

I didn't use them until I was 14, I can survive without them. My writing skills requires no improvement, I had some of the best writings in my class. It is not that I have work to be done, it is that I have worked on it too much. I have two styles of writing, one is a formal, "work and acquaintances" writing. The other, my informal, "friendly natured" writing. I use the former only when necessary, because I can, better than most my age. The latter is for friendly places (or supposed to be) like this, texting, etc. My question wasn't about me, though. It is because there are some people here that I honestly don't know if they're being playful or not, which can be a problem. I have the ability to effectively convey a message without the use of emoticons. I am doing it now. It's not hard, just longer.

I wasn't trying to single you out but only answer the question. As you said you have a hard time deciphering peoples moods whether or not they are being playful or not. So maybe if they wrote better you wouldn't have this issue.
And disagreeing doesn't make this an unfriendly place!!!

communication finds a way

emoticon....cuniform...rhapsody...rap

where it goes awry is in use for unforgiving status establishment....which leaves cold holes later filled by prejudice

This isnt an age issue...or even one of education

its one of ego...of expressor as well as perceiver

funny-facebook-fails-failbook-perceptions.png

I still think you're taking the cartoon too literally.

The 'Readers Perception' segment mirrors my own thoughts of the subject.

Are you any good with facial expressions? The second figure on the cartoon wasn't 'excessively happy' by my reading.

Being from the stone age,60's not cave man,and working at a job that required no internet skills for 40 plus years,makes communicating a bit of a challenge in text.I have got myself in trouble on here a few times. I do love drums and drumming, so I'm staying.Learning to communicate in text is just a bonus.So its not the age thing,it is however a learning thing.What is a emoticon? Some day I will learn to type with a second finger. :]

Actually, I meant the text looked excessively happy. The cartoon, on the other hand, was that of someone... special. Which is not how I picture it at all.
we are all special dude..

I'm 37 and some of the ways that the young kids nowadays manipulate the English language drives me nuts. Deliberately shortening words and using text message abbreviations, I want to grab them by the head and force feed them a dictionary. When people say "BTW" my blood boils. There are 5 syllables spoken when you say "BTW", but only 3 if you say "by the way". Do they realize how stupid they are for trying to be cute and shorten something, only to really make it longer?

I'm 37 and some of the ways that the young kids nowadays manipulate the English language drives me nuts. Deliberately shortening words and using text message abbreviations, I want to grab them by the head and force feed them a dictionary. When people say "BTW" my blood boils. There are 5 syllables spoken when you say "BTW", but only 3 if you say "by the way". Do they realize how stupid they are for trying to be cute and shorten something, only to really make it longer?

Oh Mr Insane....middle age is approaching you....how do you feel when people turn in front of you without indicating?...or stand chatting and blocking the supermarket aisle?..do you mentally 'cock and lock the Glock'??....it gets worse bro..I'm 50 and only one a*****e from losing it totally...go drum my friend, go drum...it calms the savage beast...

Back