My Custom Classic birch Jazzer

pearlygates

Gold Member
Hey peeps,

I was noodling around the internet kinda looking for a compact gig kit.
Y'know something to bag up and toss in the back seat of the Toyota.

Looked at the Gretsch Cat Jazz, Tama Stagestar, Impstar 18, and happened upon this YouTube video from Sigler showcasing this pintsized powerhouse!

*Don't mind the lame playing* Or the goofy salespitch..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrEdOFYXxJ0

Perfect for harder rockin due to the birch shells and 45s!!

The kick drum and toms are pretty friggin loud and PUNCHY! Sizes are 8x12" rack tom/suspension mount, 5x14" snare, 14x14 FT/legs and an amazing 14x18" kick! I am using my Yamaha 700 series HW and VOILA! Compact pintsized and PUNCHY!!!

Shell pack=

$410 to my door! Slapping on Emp smooth whites/clear Ambs, EMAD 2, 2" HOLZ port/stocker reso.
Great sounding, really nice build and $400! (w/o HW)

Better pix w cymbals in a week or two.. Watch also for a review,,if you are interested.

CIMG0041.jpg

CIMG0040.jpg

CIMG0038.jpg

CIMG0035.jpg

CIMG0036-1.jpg

CIMG0022.jpg

CIMG0031.jpg

bump...can I bump my own thread.. There is no code of ethics I crossed..is there??

You said that you looked at the Stagestar, A few weeks after I bought my Stagestar I saw the Cust Class kit.
I probably would have bought the Cust Class If I knew about it then.

I do like my Stagestar though.

You said that you looked at the Stagestar, A few weeks after I bought my Stagestar I saw the Cust Class kit.
I probably would have bought the Cust Class If I knew about it then.

I do like my Stagestar though.

Sux how stuff sometimes works out like that!

I had 2 Gretsch Cat Jazz kits which I liked pretty well and I played the Tama Imperialstar 18 as well. I thought after seiing the YouTube video of the CCBJ I would take a chance.
Boy am I glad I did! I like this kit better than the Gretsch and the Tama for punch and projection!!! I'm rockin and funkin' this kit!

Looks cool. The set in the video I assume is using the stock heads and they sound great. What did it come with as heads go.?

Looks cool. The set in the video I assume is using the stock heads and they sound great. What did it come with as heads go.?
Eh, just came with the average el cheapo Chinese Ambassador style batters and resos. And yeah, even with the stocker heads, this kit is amazing!

These kits (Custom Classic) are for real! Believe everything you have read on DW regarding this brand!! I don't think I have played a punchier or fuller sounding bop kit EVER!

Glad to hear the quality of Custom Classics has improved. I needed a cheap 2nd kit a couple of years ago, and bought a CC kit from Ebay, but the quality was truly awful. The wraps were warped and split, bearing edges were atrocious, gouges inside the shells were filled with wood putty, some of the shells were out of round, the lugs were some weird size that didn't use standard size t-rods...this list goes on and on! I suppose the feedback at the time was bad, and they improved the quality.

Glad to hear the quality of Custom Classics has improved. I needed a cheap 2nd kit a couple of years ago, and bought a CC kit from Ebay, but the quality was truly awful. The wraps were warped and split, bearing edges were atrocious, gouges inside the shells were filled with wood putty, some of the shells were out of round, the lugs were some weird size that didn't use standard size t-rods...this list goes on and on! I suppose the feedback at the time was bad, and they improved the quality.

Ahh those were the student level 1 up 1 down kits! Thankfully Sigler has stopped marketing those! The new generation of CCs is aimed more at the intermediate/semi pro crowd. Nothing but great stuff to say about my new birch jazzer! Sweet build, INCREDIBLE SOUND!

CIMG0049.jpg

CIMG0058.jpg

CIMG0054.jpg

CIMG0045.jpg

CIMG0052.jpg

CIMG0047.jpg

CIMG0056.jpg

CIMG0060.jpg

Last edited:
Hey peeps.

This is an official update ...

I am happy to report that the issues I had with regard to the floor tom and missing kick drum riser have been taken care of. I am very pleased with the quality and performance of this kit and would recommend anyone looking for a great gig kit at a really awesome price, to give CC a look!

Sigler once again proved themselves to be outstanding in the customer service department.

Specs: Custom Classic pro 6ply birch Jazz 4 pc. in piano black lacquer
REMO smoothwhite Emp batters/Amb clear resonant on toms, EMAD 2 kick batter/stock logo resonant/dual 2" ports, stock snare
14x18" kick, 8x12" (6lug) rack tom/suspension mount
14x14" floor tom, 5x14" birch snare drum.
Yamaha 780 series HW
Amici Vintage series cymbals.
14" hats, 16" crash, 12" splash (not shown), 20" ride
Here's some pics..

Customclassicprobirchamici001.jpg

CopyofCustomclassicprobirchamici004.jpg

Customclassicprobirchamici020.jpg

CopyofCustomclassicprobirchamici005.jpg

CopyofCustomclassicprobirchamici008.jpg

Customclassicprobirchamici006.jpg

Customclassicprobirchamici009.jpg

Customclassicprobirchamici015.jpg

Customclassicprobirchamici011.jpg

Customclassicprobirchamici012.jpg

Customclassicprobirchamici022.jpg

Customclassicprobirchamici014.jpg

What do you think about the amici cymbals? They don't do them much justice comparing them to sabian's aa line. Maybe it's just the video.

The cymbals aren't to bad for cheapo's! They lack complexity, But they can pass as an OK pie for a beginner. I just watched and compared the sounds.
Equal to most entry level pies.
It was an honest demo from my perspective.

What do you think about the amici cymbals? They don't do them much justice comparing them to sabian's aa line. Maybe it's just the video.
I would compare them to Dream or Wuhan. They have a nice complexity that IMO would make for a great Jazz, funk or rock cymbal.
All in all this little kit is verry impressive!!!!

The cymbals aren't to bad for cheapo's! They lack complexity, But they can pass as an OK pie for a beginner. I just watched and compared the sounds.
Equal to most entry level pies.
It was an honest demo from my perspective.

Seeing as though I own them.. here's a little review..

The Amici cymbals, although the name says Italy, are made in China and sold through the same online retailer I purchased my Custom Classics from. I am guessing they are probably made in the Wuhan province either by Wuhan or Dream cymbal companies and sold through this retailer.

I admit, I don't normally purchase cymbals that are cast (B20) and hand hammered without playing them prior. I viewed the YouTube video (search Amici cymbals) and was impressed by what I heard, so I took a chance..
Having them home, I am very pleased with them. The cymbals are cast B20, lathed top and bottom, machine and hand hammered to give them a sound that is somewhere between a Zildjian A series and a K constantinople.

The hats are medium weight/medium bright with a very pleasing slightly dark quality. Excellent "chick" quality, clean chokes, loud and cutting open sound and nice stick definition (5A wood tips)

The crash is medium weight dark shimmery very K sounding but with the extra shimmer quality. Great cymbal!

The ride is a medium heavy weight with great stick definition, slightly bright, but darker contolled wash, awesome cutting bell! A winner imho.!

The splash is thin weight and has a very cutting voice at higher volumes and opens up so nice with just a light touch. I usually don't use splashes larger than 10" , but this one came with the prepack.. Very nice!

All in all for the pricetag of under $300, the Amici Vintage series cymbals are, IMHO up there soundwise with the the big name makers. The Chinese have been making cymbals for eons and the Amici is more proof that they know what they are doing. I think, for a semi pro player like myself looking for an economical alternative to the high buck cast cymbals from the big names, the Amici vintage series is spot on! For the beginner looking for a low cost cymbal pack, they are a no brainer! Given the fact that they come with a really nice Custom Classic partitioned cymbal bag. I would say the Amici's are a win. I will have them in the studio along side my high end Zildjians with my Yamahas next week.

Last edited:
Back