Entry Level Kit ?s

IUdave

gonna get my 10yr old son a kit for his big christmas present, im thinkin the Roland TD-4KX2 kit seems like a nice choice? ... its a durable kit right?, i got no problem payin a few bucks more for durability.

the new (on-line) kit i looked at doesnt come with an amp or seat, but looks like everything else is there ??? but is there anything else i might need?

how easy is it to set up? he really likes doin things himself if possible, if need be i can set it up the night before but would rather let him take a crack at it 1st thing in the morning.

and what about an amp? im thinkin a keyboard amp somewhere around 50w should be plenty.

thanks for any help :)
dave

The TD4XK2 is an excellent choice! I had one for over a year (maybe 2) before I went with a Pearl E-Pro.
The TD4 comes with the rack, pads and cymbals and module. You will need to supply a bass drum pedal and a seat and sticks. Now, you can either get a set of headphones for him to practice with or an amp, or both. 50 watts is plenty for a beginner! I have heard the Simmons amps are a good bang for the money. I don't have a need for an amp as I play for fun for myself and headphone are perfect for that.
The TD4 can be expanded with 1 additional trigger, either as a drum or cymbal. Very unlikely you would be disappointed choosing the TD4.

thanks a bunch for the reply. i looked at the kit again and your right, theres no bass pedal, wth is up with that? great to see you were still happy with your 1st kit even after you upgraded. and thanks for the info about the extra tom i can add, makes this kit even better.

just curious but do these kits come programmed with lessons or should i look into buying a dvd set for him to study?

thanks again
dave

gonna get my 10yr old son a kit for his big christmas present, im thinkin the Roland TD-4KX2 kit seems like a nice choice? ... its a durable kit right?, i got no problem payin a few bucks more for durability.

the new (on-line) kit i looked at doesnt come with an amp or seat, but looks like everything else is there ??? but is there anything else i might need?

how easy is it to set up? he really likes doin things himself if possible, if need be i can set it up the night before but would rather let him take a crack at it 1st thing in the morning.

and what about an amp? im thinkin a keyboard amp somewhere around 50w should be plenty.

thanks for any help :)
dave

Kraft music have a clearance sale on new TD-4 kit bundled with kick-pedal, amp, phones, sticks throne etc.It may be worth a look when you are shopping for a deal. They have another bundle without the amp. Crazy cheap.

I actually bought by TD4 from Kraft as a "package" with a pedal and throne. They were crap, but something to get started with.
I think the only thing the module has is a metronome, there are no programed lessons on board..
Get him to a teacher for at least a few basic lessons so he knows how to propelry grip the sticks etc. . .
I wish I had taken lessons longer!
Many would argue that I "upgraded" to the Pearls, but I love them and that is all that matters.
The TD4 is a great choice. I don't know anyone who has an e-kit that would not agree.

I would suggest looking used. Depending on where you live you can get a similar kit for a much cheaper price (comparable yamaha kits are worth while too).

Td 4 and Td 3 (the predecessor to the td4) have good build quality and will last a while. (my used TD3 has been going for 3 years).

The major downside of these "lower end" kits is that you run out of drums quick. Since they only have one additional input spot for another drum/cymbal you will need to upgrade in the near future unless you are into a small kit.

The highhat pedal is poor on these. The Td4 can use the "lifelike" vh11 high hat, which uses an actual high hat stand.

If you want something to learn on (although I think its better to learn on an acoustic) then this is a fine choice. If you don't mind the noise, I'd get an acoustic set without a doubt. You will almost have to get one anyway at some point.

If "you" do take lessons, it will be strange to go from playing on the e-kit to the acoustic (most lessons are taught on them???). The e-kit is much more "forgiving" and makes up for shortcomings.

For a self starter type of thing, i'd recommend the DVD tommy Igoe's great hands for a lifetime.

The major downside of these "lower end" kits is that you run out of drums quick. Since they only have one additional input spot for another drum/cymbal you will need to upgrade in the near future unless you are into a small kit.

That's a very true statement with the Roland kits because of their proprietary rear connector. On the other hand, my Yamaha DTX 535K I just got from Kraft Music has been upgraded with 2 more cymbal pads and 2 more tom pads, going from a 5 piece with 2 cymbals to a 7 piece with 4 cymbals. And the Silicon snare has a freakin phenomenal feel to it.

I'd highly recommend looking at the Yamaha kits at the same price point as the Rolands. I've got a last-gen DTXpress IV special and am quite happy with it. Look at the DTX520K or DTX530K.

thanks for all the replys, i got his kit, i ended up trading an 04 Honda Accord (my daughters 1st car thats been taking up space in the driveway all summer) for a roland td 20 + 10 hrs of lessons. kit has everything, dbl bass, monitor, 4 toms, a seat, sticks ect ect.
thanks again -dave

thanks for all the replys, i got his kit, i ended up trading an 04 Honda Accord (my daughters 1st car thats been taking up space in the driveway all summer) for a roland td 20 + 10 hrs of lessons. kit has everything, dbl bass, monitor, 4 toms, a seat, sticks ect ect.
thanks again -dave
Don't know about the value of your trade, but the TD-20 is a fantastic professional grade kit.

I think as always with drums, if your buying your first, always consider second hand as they tend to have all parts you need (stool, pedal etc) and are cheaper! Maybe some older roland models or yamaha dtxpress? Good Luck!

Back