Wildlife

Did someone say everything was bigger in Australia?
"Ladies and gentlemen... Please keep your arms inside the boat.."

Hey, It's Brutus the one-armed crock. He's over 70 years old. Lives in the Adelaide River, Australia.

Did someone say everything was bigger in Australia?
"Ladies and gentlemen... Please keep your arms inside the boat.."

I would be very careful playing with the baby croc like this - his mother and father might be around and they might be less playful.

And it's not much safer in the water... This picture was taken by a drone off the NSW coast, showing the surfers and the sharks just below them...

Dutch

Gah. That is definitely a shark to be worried about. Less than about 6-7 foot isn't really a worry, but that guy could easily go after a surfer.

On Sunday a local drummer friend of mine went kayaking with his wife at one of our Adelaide beaches. She took some photos.

Anyway, when they looked at this photo the next day, they noticed a visitor, in the left foreground.

Attachments

• IMG_0129.JPG
    IMG_0129.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 276
In the Gulf of Mexico we have tiger sharks, hammer heads, and bull sharks that come in real close-within a few feet of beach when tide is right. The last five years I've see larger sharks coming closer to shore. Surf fishing I had a bull shark give me fright and about fifteen years ago I was surf fishing near a deep hole on the beach and suddenly about a 10-11 foot tiger comes rolling in there scared the shit out of me. I grew up in South Ga which has lots of swamps-pretty much contiguous with Okefenokee Swamp so lots of gators. It was always a creepy shock to be walking in a few inches of water and then fall in a gator hole. Never heard of anyone having a problem with gators other than loss of pets and livestock. But gators generally aren't a threat as I see crocs. I'd never survived childhood if the area was saturated with crocs over gators. I think we have about 7 species of venomous snakes-mostly pit vipers, but dang Australia has about 100 with 25 or so the most venomous in world. If I was blindfolded and dropped off there I bet I'd be grabbing brown snakes for a meal thinking they are non-venomous and would surely die. After that said I'd love to travel and explore Australia-on my bucket list of things to do. Bop over to New Zealand while in the vicinity.

Last edited:
Back