Vinnie Colaiuta

Re: Vinnie Colaiuta goes to PAISTE

This is the biggest new from drumming in a LONG time. I'm extremely curious to see what they sound like.

Makes you wonder what's going on over there at Zildjian. Did he drop the Zildjian sticks too?

I don't know anyone who uses Zildjian sticks who doesn't play their cymbals, so I'm guessing he's moving stick brands too. Vinnie & JR used to buy brushes from me when I worked for Regal Tip, because they weren't our artists I charged them, but always left a message saying "Hey, I'll give you these for free if you sign with us." When JR left Paiste, he called me and said lets do this, so maybe Vinnie will do the same...

Wow! Vinnie's rockin 15" hats, 20" & 22" crashes, and a 24" ride? That's amazing! Sorry Dave Grohl, you just got outdone!

Although it's been official for a little while, this now makes it "officially" official: http://www.paiste.com/e/news.php?actn=det&menuid=39&newsid=1189

And his set up: http://www.paiste.com/e/endorser_det.php?page=setup&endorserid=5357

Well done to the keen eyed who spotted the unlabeled 602's so early in the piece!!

And so it finally becomes official.

Steve Smith is going to start getting lonely over there on the Zildjian roster.

Wow! Vinnie's rockin 15" hats, 20" & 22" crashes, and a 24" ride? That's amazing! Sorry Dave Grohl, you just got outdone!

Not sure what one has to do with the other. Just another opportunity to slag Dave Grohl since you don't like what he does?

Not sure what one has to do with the other. Just another opportunity to slag Dave Grohl since you don't like what he does?
Quite the contrary. Dave Grohl is one of my favorite drummers - along with Vinnie. Dave uses a 24" Ride, Three 20" Crashes (no 22"s!), and 15" hats - and Vinnie's 22" china dwarfs Dave's 19". That's what one had to do with the other. Not sure what you were reading into that...

Last edited:

I'll make my bold prediction now: Paiste is going to expand its offerings of 602s by the next NAMM show.
Looks like my crystal ball needs no polishing or calibration - look at those 602 prototypes! Won't be long before they're available to the unwashed masses.

Looks like my crystal ball needs no polishing or calibration - look at those 602 prototypes! Won't be long before they're available to the unwashed masses.

Grohl hater!!

What'd he ever do to you Mike. This continual venom you spit in Dave's direction is just OTT.....why can't you two just get along?

Grohl hater!!

What'd he ever do to you Mike. This continual venom you spit in Dave's direction is just OTT.....why can't you two just get along?
Because I'm the jealous spiteful type? Ha ha, yeah, that's it!

It really is all change for Vinnie.... I see he's put an 18" crash where his ride normally is. Can't help but have a wry smile at the fact he has a Paiste Alpha up there!

Does anyone care about all this? Well - I for one am a little intrigued about the Signature Traditionals as a result of VC's comments. I know exactly what he was referring to about having a preconception of what Paiste is all about. For me that changed somewhat a few years ago when I got a Signature Dark Energy MK2 22" Ride. Suffice to say, that cymbal challenged my preconceptions of what is the Paiste sound and it is one of my absolute favourite cymbals, albeit still outnumbered 8 to 1 by my Zildjians.

You know the 602 24" sounds a whole lot better than the ZHT ride DG is using too haha!

My 22" 602 ride is what I've judged every other ride I've ever owned too. I got it in 1980.

If they come release a 24" 602 I will have it. I'll have to start checking into the available sizes.
Large crashes are what I favor. I get more out of them than smaller cymbals. 15" hats are what I use too.

Here I am...loving and hugging my new Paiste. Now who is going to give some lip about it?

Attachments

• April12_Vinnie Colaiuta.jpg
    April12_Vinnie Colaiuta.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 3,509
Back