Hornet Sticks anyone?

I bought a pair of 5As and 5Bs.

The 5As are quick and with a round full tip they sound good. A nice quick stick. The grip on the smaller diameter sticks is less pronounced and was easier to get used to.

I don't like the feel of the 5Bs.

The mallet side is cool and I like doing cymbal swells with them. The 5As seem more balanced whereas the 5Bs feel heavier in the butt.

They're pretty durable. I've bashed away with these many times and they're not too worn at all.

I wonder how these work if you switch grips ie: Matched versus traditional? German versus French? Live versus Memorex?

It seems like they COULD be nice for matched...maybe not so nice on traditional?

they look like wands from the harry potter movies lol...., i wuld like to try them out

I was checking these out at a gig last night, and they seem really cool! I usually play AHEAD sticks, I wanna try these out, too.

I still have several pairs of 5As laying around. I like them but for some unknown reason I had a lot of problems with the tips chipping prematurely. Actually the Five Star drum shop where I bought mine quit carrying them for that very reason. They felt great in my hands and balanced well using both traditional and matched grip.

DSC_0102.jpg

Dennis

When I saw this thread, I didn't realize it was an older thread and I thought to myself "I"ve got a few pairs of these, so maybe I'll jump in".

Then I read on down and saw that I did post about these. In the past 2+ years, I guess my stick tastes have changed. I hardly ever play with 5As anymore. My hands keep getting stronger and I like 5Bs for almost everything now.

The recess in the 5A handle on the hornets makes them feel weird to me now.

The 5B Hornet feels better to me but I still don't like the recess in the handle, especially when I play my right hand with my thumb up (French grip, right?). It makes me hold the stick just a little too far forward.

They are good sticks, but just not my thing anymore.

Back