moongel or evans mini emad?

Most here probably use moongels. I think they're cheaper, and you can cut them down easily to smaller sizes if you want, and they can be placed anywhere.

I've found if I need to get rid of overtones I'll go for Remo Rings/Evans E-Rings, but I have used moongels in the past.

I like the moongels a lot more than the emads... I think the moongels are a lot more practical with placement, level of dampening, and they're not as easily seen. I've really never seen anyone use the emads

If I use anything on any drum, it's just a slice of Moongel.

It's just enough to knock down a tiny bit of tone to where it tightens it up just a bit, but leaves it open.
The pices are cut to about the size of the word "Remo" on the logo. I cut it sideways and get 6 or 7 pieces from one square.

Never tired the Evans stick on thing, but I've seen them in the shop on a snare and it does work.

Is there ever a problem with the moongels poping off while playing ? started playing again after several years down, The church I play in is small and the stage amplifies. Can't deafen the old ladies in the front row. Hard enough convincing them Drums belong in church.

Was thinking of the taping route but, want the versatility of changing it up when we are playing for the youth.

Pastor suggested a shield as a possibilty, But again I want to go for a warmer tone and the ability to change it up.

I've beat the snot out of drums with moongel on the heads and they have never come off.

If I ever need something to tame the ring a bit, I use just a piece of Moongel on the head right below where I position the microphone on the snare drum. It works like a charm and doesn't come off. After a while it might not stick as new, but then I just use soap and water and wash it.

Dennis

A word of warning though - don't leave a pot of moongel in direct sunlight or near a heater of any kind. It becomes moon water instead.

Back