Multi-Instrumental people

HeadRush

I was just wondering how many drummers don't spend all their musical time with drumming?
and what other instruments do you all play?

At the moment, I know how to play guitar keyboard and bass and am in the process of learning trumpet.

and I can pretty much play all of those well enough to play either one in a band. but of course I prefer trumpet.

so I was just wondering what people on this forum play as well and how long.

I play the piano, the guitar and the bass to a certain extent. In other words, I know how the instruments work, and if I have enough time to rehearse the material, I can play them fairly functionally. I used to dabble with the guitar before taking up the drums, so that's the most familiar of my secondary instruments.

Oh yeah, I also own a tin whistle, but I haven't had the time to start working on it yet.

I've been playing the piano for 9 years, bass for 4 years, and of course drums for 1 and a half years. I'm only 13 but this is my life and I am already being noticed by people at colleges.

oh that's really cool
the only thing I've really been noticed by is movie makers (my brother is going into the film industry)
I've worked on some film scores and am writing for a sitcom right now
I'm fifteen by the way

Well for me its obviously the drums (my main instrument)
i also play trumpet, trombone, and a bit of french horn.
i currently want to pick up the piano and bass

I play drums, guitar, bass guitar, double bass, violin, dabble in trumpet + piano, can play some flute and a little sax :)

Marimba/Vibes, Piano, pretty much any keyboard instrument.

A very basic understanding of guitar.

Yeah. That's about it. I've also tried my hand at harmonica, zither, and recorder. And I played a trumpet for a few hours once and decided that if I had the opportunity to learn another instrument, that would be it.

Let's see:

Drums:
Lifelong passion. I started as a kid, then gave it up for a few years during my teens before picking up the sticks again around the age of 21 (currently 28 years old)

Guitar:
15 years (still playing)

Piano:
7-8 years (quit in my early teens, but I can still find my way around a keyboard)

Trumpet:
4-5 years. Started playing the trumpet when I joined a marching band at around 9 years old, but ditched that after a few years and moved on to...

Baritone horn/Euphonium:
6 years, from my early teens until I quit my last marching band at 19

Singing:
Never had any real training, and I've never been a lead singer, but I've always enjoyed singing, and I sing backup from time to time.

And of course, since I can play drums, guitar, piano and trumpet, I can make useable sounds on most percussion instruments, organs, bass guitars and most brass horns. I wouldn't really say that I can play those instruments though, I can only say I know how they work and can do basic stuff on them.

I play the guitar and the bass too. As for singing, I think i'm okay at that. I used to be terrible at high notes and i thought it was just my voice but since i've started doing CV workouts at the gym i've become much better at it so really i could sing the high notes all along, i just didn't have the lung power which i have now. So yeah definetly reccomend that to anyone who wants to try singing.

Piano, Drums (Main instrument) & saxophone. Some singing.
Can knock out a tune or two on guitars but I don't really count that.

Piano....learnt from very early age...then added drums when I was old enough to know what I liked, added sax because I love the sound.

mm Interesting

My parents got me some piano lessons when i was in elementary...but I forgot all those.

Nowadays I play

Baritone/Euphonium - Mainly school band
Trombone/Trumpet - Picked up for Jazz Band
Marching Snare/Bass - Marching Band
Drum Set - Everything else and hobby...

Can't find much to say currently but thats what it is.

hey thanks for all these replies
I've always wondered who else played more then just the drums
it's cool that you all have diversified your talents

That's awesome that you're writing a sitcom headrush. Good luck with that

My second love is playing the guitar. Probably been playing for 3-4 years now, never had a proper lesson in my life for it, I just play along to songs or improvise. I think it really helps knowing how another instrument works, especially for jam situations. I've also had a bass lying about my room for a bit a few times, tended just to muck about on that, could play the basics, maybe some slapping!

Drums are probably coming up to 9 years now I would say (18 years old). I used to go to piano lessons (before drums), but can't remember much from that. I could probably play something if someone demonstated it first (nothing to hard).

I was also noticed by Berklee, but I turned that one down.

i play guitar and i used to play some other sones but i play guitar for about 3-5 hours and drums about 3-5 hours a day. music is my life.

Back