Hello, I'm new here :)

I'm a big fan of starting as dead simple as you can. Like pick a song that you yourself just know you can play, and then try it. You may find that it's harder than you think. If not great, but do not skip past "simple" stuff because you think it's a waste of time. The basics are really what drummers use most. Give them their due diligence, you will be glad you did.

BTW welcome Magenta. It's good to see the female ranks of DrummerWorld keep growing. You are in good company already.

Thank you to everybody who has taken the time to reply to me, you are all being very encouraging and I really appreciate your help and ideas.

Um, most everyone on this planet were introduced to Led Zep and Bonham at age, what, about 2 or 3? Just kidding.... You have some catching up to do.

I'm afraid so! I flatter myself that it makes me a challenging yet rewarding student ;) On the other hand, of course, I was equally astonished that Mr Teacher, who is in his 20s, had never been to the opera. (He has now.)

Welcome to the forum.I have a few suggestions.Try listening to some Little Feat.Country funk jazz and everything in between.Songs like Fat Man in the Bathtub,Old Folks Boogie,Let It Roll,Feets Don't Fail Me Now,Spanish Moon and All That You Dream.

Another great funk band is Parlament Funkadelic.

If classical is is what you like best,try some Emerson,Lake & Palmer.Pictures at an Exibition,How down,and a few other classics and some jazz.Those guys are all classicly trained musicians and Carl Palmer is a drumming wizard.

Steve B

A warm welcome here as well.

One great resource that's severely underutilized is: The Evolution of Jazz Drumming (Book CD & DVD) by Danny Gottlieb.

Read, watch and listen to this and you'll be well informed on how we've gotten to this point.

That is GENIUS, which is why I never thought of it. Thank you!

I wouldn't call myself a genius (I can only spell the word thanks to spell check), but that's why I love this forum, countless drummers sharing their tidbits of information adds up pretty quickly. Welcome aboard by the way.

That is GENIUS, which is why I never thought of it. Thank you!

Yeah, it's a good way to get rid of those lyrics, and there's very good quality karaoke versions out there, the + side is that you'll hear the musical arrangement better too.

Welcome to the forum Magenta, ... is pinky purple your favorite color?

Welcome to the forum.I have a few suggestions.Try listening to some Little Feat.Country funk jazz and everything in between.Songs like Fat Man in the Bathtub,Old Folks Boogie,Let It Roll,Feets Don't Fail Me Now,Spanish Moon and All That You Dream.

Another great funk band is Parlament Funkadelic.

If classical is is what you like best,try some Emerson,Lake & Palmer.Pictures at an Exibition,How down,and a few other classics and some jazz.Those guys are all classicly trained musicians and Carl Palmer is a drumming wizard.

Steve B

Well, I've just listened to a few snippets of all of the above. Not hugely keen on ELP (a bit too crossover for me) but I'm pretty sure I like Little Feat and I may actually LOVE Parliament Funkadelic.

This is so exciting for me, it's a whole new world!

I'll definitely check out The Evolution of Jazz Drumming, which I'd been wondering about a while ago but forgot to pursue. Haven't had a new book in a while :)

rjoyce: you may be a mere mortal, but that idea WAS genius. Well, it was by my standards anyway.

Welcome to the forum Magenta, ... is pinky purple your favorite color?

It's one of them - but it's also my name. (One of them.) Obviously I get called Madge ...

It's one of them - but it's also my name. (One of them.) Obviously I get called Madge ...

Cool... Madge it is then :)

12248Take%20N%20Play%20Madge.jpg

Cool... Madge it is then :)

Chortle!! According to Wiki: "What Madge lacks in elegance, she makes up for in strength and personality." I couldn't possibly comment.

Back