Snare or Cymbals?

IoloE

For Christmas I either want to get a new snare drum or a new set of cymbals I'm not sure which to get, any help in deciding?

Well...depends on what kind of snare and cymbals you have now.

In my opinion, most any decent snare can be tuned to sound good, depending on head choice of course. Bad cymbals will always sound bad no matter what you do to them.

My choice would be cymbals.

I see Tyger types faster than I do.

Well my Snare atm is a the one which came with the kit that is a tama it sounds terrible with the snare on so I leave it off when practicing, I have Paiste 101 and Pt3 cymbals also rubbish..

Well...depends on what kind of snare and cymbals you have now.

In my opinion, most any decent snare can be tuned to sound good, depending on head choice of course. Bad cymbals will always sound bad no matter what you do to them.

My choice would be cymbals.

yup, +1.
And if it's ever a cash-flow issue I suggest to anyone get used pro-quality cymbals. They'll typically cost what new student cymbals cost.

Well my Snare atm is a the one which came with the kit that is a tama it sounds terrible with the snare on so I leave it off when practicing, I have Paiste 101 and Pt3 cymbals also rubbish..

How much do you have to spend?Is that a wood or metal snare,and what kind of heads and snare wires are you using.?With a limited buget,I would strongly consider buying used,which can double you purchase power.A ludwig acrolite can be had used a little over 100 US used.There is thread on here now about silver sparkle Ludwig Centennials,and the OP is using an acrolite which sounds amazing.Give it a listen.

Steve B

This one seems easy - if the choice is a new set of cymbals or a new snare, and assuming Santa has a nice budget, then cymbals FTW.

There are tons of great used snares to be had on CL or eBay for relatively little, but cymbals - especially sets of cymbals - are much more expensive. When you go visit Santa, make sure you remind him (he's supposed to already know, but why take chances?) that you would rather he scour the used market for good used cymbals (that you've specified in advance) than to try and surprise you with shiny new ZBTs, B8s, MCSs, or some other entry-level set that you'll be wanting to upgrade by New Years.

Save the snare upgrade for later. That one's relatively easy. In the meantime, see Bob about the snare tuning. Amazing what he can do for just about any snare.

Can never have too many snares........can never have too many cymbals.

But in your case if we were debating at the bar, then I could put up a pretty convincing argument that you don't yet actually own any cymbals (Paiste 101's certainly don't count) :)

Another vote for cymbals, with all the usual disclaimers (used pro-level if that's the only way you can afford quality)

Your snare drum will carry you for the time being. You just need to learn to tune the thing.....check MikeM's link......and then check it again.

Thanks guys, I know a guy which will hand make a custom made snare drum for me with my exact specification so I won't buy second hand when I get a snare, I was going for Zildjian A Customs. Which I can get at trade price.

I need info.
How old are the heads on your snare?
Are the snare wires bent/are some of the loose, compared to the others?
How tight is the tension of the heads?
Which drum is it, and what material?
Depth x Diameter?
Is it the stock heads on it aswell?
How does it sound when the snares are on? describe, if you can.

The snare is only about 5-6 years old.
The head on it is about 2 years old.
Yes and they do need to be replaced some are bent and a few are loose.
The tension is on medium tension (very general).
13x4 (I think).
The resonant head is the stock head.
The snare is made out of steel.
The snares rattle loads when they are on and it sounds very harsh.

Sounds like you need new heads, new snares and a bit of time tuning it, rather than replacing the whole drum. It'd be like buying a new car cause the tires have gone bald!

I second the vote for a cymbal upgrade - that snare should get you through!

Two things to consider:

1.) I've never owned a snare that I couldn't get a respectable sound out of by tuning.

2.) I've never been able to make a crappy cymbal sound respectable.

Buy a new set of snares and experiment with the tuning of your current snare.

Based on your budget, buy as many used top of the line cymbals as you can.If you can't replace them all now, you can upgrade piece by piece over time.

LOL 13x4 is a WIERD size....
Well, anyways - have you ever tried to tighten the nut, pressing the snare-wires closer to the drum head? IF they rattle - they're either bad and/or way too loose!

Get new heads - for a start - just go with Coated amb over "Clear hazy remo snare head-thingy."

Buy a new set of wires. Doesn't have to be freakain' puresound - just get some new ones...

.A ludwig acrolite can be had used a little over 100 US used.There is thread on here now about silver sparkle Ludwig Centennials,and the OP is using an acrolite which sounds amazing.Give it a listen.

Steve B

Hey that's me! It's a 1967 acro with a slightly bent or out-of-round shell. Still sounds great! That being said...

...Replace the heads on your snare!!! This is like complaining that your cereal tastes bad when your milk is a year old. Don't blame the cereal, haha! I vote for getting USED pro level cymbals one at a time. Or Wuhan New Traditional Series cymbals if you must go new. They are cheaper than zbt's and sound as good and complex as pro level zildjians (different, but just as good).

Cymbals. Don't buy new ones if you're short on money. You can get Sabian AAX and AA (If you like those) dirt cheap.

what snare would u get and what cymbals would u get

Back