Songs for beginner?

worlddrummer

Hello! Do you have any song tips for a beginner to learn? I already know how to play Back in black and Highway to hell. I like metallica and that type of music. :)

I got my first drum set for xmas in 1991 so I learned to play with stuff like Nirvana's Nevermind and Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Back then there were no mp3 players so I would just put the tape in and play it from beginning to end. Skipping a song would require me to stand up from the kit to reach the tape deck, fast-forward until the end of that song, and go back to the kit... so I simply decided not to skip songs and learned to play them all.

At first I would just try to follow the song, even with a basic kick-snare-kick-snare beat with hi-hats in 8ths. Eventually I'd listen to the actual beat and emulate it, and learn the fills. I was self-taught but it didn't take that long either (by the next semester I was selected to play in the high-school pop/rock band). I was more into hip hop than rock back then so I also popped hip hop tapes and played along trying to emulate the beats, which, in some ways were simpler, and in others were more challenging. Back then, many of those hip hop beats and rolls were sampled from real records, anyway. Stuff like Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head by Beastie Boys, or Loc'ed After Dark by Tone Loc were quite fun to play.

What I'm saying is, play the music you like so you have fun playing it. And just play against some your favorite albums from start to end and try to follow all the songs. You will click more with some songs than others and will eventually build your playlist. But you won't know until you try to play them. Just remember to also listen to those songs at other times (when you're not playing) so you can hear any details you might be missing.

Playing along to recordings is good, but in a limited way. You know how you sound pretty good singing Led Zeppelin in the car, but not in other places... because you're singing back-up to one of the greatest singers in rock.

Luckily, there are lots of helpful tools out there for you. My advice is to seek out relatively easy songs like "You Really Got Me," "I Want to Be Sedated," "I'm Eighteen," or almost anything by the White Stripes or AC/DC.

Try to play along, then watch a Youtube video of someone covering the same song. Repeat as necessary.

Next, find drumless tracks for the same song (available from Youtube and even iTunes in a limited way). Next, practice by playing along to the record then playing the drumless track on the same song.

Oh, and find a drum teacher. He or she will be able to give you some tips that will help you make progress more quickly.

Do you have any song tips for a beginner to learn?

Thinking....

Learn to chart.
Learn to read a chart.
Youtube's 1/2 speed playback is your friend.

Does anyone have a "Drum charts for dummies" link? Coming from guitar, I fear any low level charting advice I give is probably wrong and will ruin beginning drummers for eternity.

I'd see about finding a teacher at this point. Playing along with songs is ok, but it's not really teaching you much about drum technique, or playing the instrument.

A teacher can help pick out new songs fro you to work on, while teaching you rudiments, how to hold your sticks, how to work with dynamics, how to read music, et cetera.

Hello and welcome Worlddrummer. If you have Windows XP or 7 in Windows Media Player right click on the top of screen and under Enhancement they have good Equalizer and very good Play speed setting item that will help you on figuring out songs.

Do you have enough to share?

I always bring enough for the whole class. I got the 8yo daughter an air popper as a stocking stuffer. She's used that more than the "real" gifts.

Last edited:
I'm making popcorn and taking cover.

First post of the year to make me laugh out loud!
Thanks for getting 2017 off right.

At least he didn't say "White Mapex Saturn's are the best drums in the world."

If you want to get your speed up stuff like the offspring is pretty fun and simple to play. Honestly the best way to get better is to just play along to songs you like. You'll figure lots of stuff out that way. Try play some foo fighters too. They've got some really cool drum parts. Theres always Led Zeppelin, which are easy to learn, but damn near impossible to master.

Have fun!

First post of the year to make me laugh out loud!
Thanks for getting 2017 off right.

At least he didn't say "White Mapex Saturn's are the best drums in the world."

I thought that was obvious. Aren't they? Badges in the correct position and all, and the rock riser= ±10 points or whatever the Canadian $/point conversion is.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I dont need a teacher i learn stuff from Drumeo! :D

I can't tell if that's a joke or not, but I think Drumeo is really more teaching some tips and tricks to drummers that already have a foundation.

You need to develop your technique, learn to read music, and learn the rudiments (our vocabulary)... I know that learning songs or flashy fills is more fun, but you need to learn the technical skills as well.

Drumming, like any instrument, is like learning a language. Yes it's more fun to move to Rome and order food in Italian, but you'll never become fluent that way (or at least it would take a long time). You need to study vocabulary, grammar, reading/writing, and balance that in with the "fun" stuff.

I'd just like to add this:

Almost everyone knows how to play AC/DC songs. But almost NO ONE plays them right.

It took me years to learn that...figured I might help this kid out early in the process.

for some old school songs, these are great beginner songs that I recommended when I was teaching (although there are hundreds):

1) Take it Easy (Eagles) - simple, but fastish for beginners
2) In My Life (Beatles) - you have to learn it, can't fake this one
3) How Sweet it is (JT or Sam Cooke) - shuffle
4) Don't Stop (Fleetwood Mac) - just amazing drumming
5) Band on the Run (Sir Paul) - He was the drummer

Intermediate Songs
1) your favorite Stevie Wonder songs - he is one of my favorite drummers
2) Fool in the Rain - Zep

for some old school songs, these are great beginner songs that I recommended when I was teaching (although there are hundreds):

1) Take it Easy (Eagles) - simple, but fastish for beginners
2) In My Life (Beatles) - you have to learn it, can't fake this one
3) How Sweet it is (JT or Sam Cooke) - shuffle
4) Don't Stop (Fleetwood Mac) - just amazing drumming
5) Band on the Run (Sir Paul) - He was the drummer

Intermediate Songs
1) your favorite Stevie Wonder songs - he is one of my favorite drummers
2) Fool in the Rain - Zep

I like your thought process here. Probably since it's just like mine. LMAO! In fact, just the other day I recorded both drums and bass guitar to How Long by the Eagles. Great song.

Back