Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R)

And what POV are we talking about? There have been so many ;)

Referring to some of Emmaticus' posts on page 4 of the thread. One of the reactions questioned that user as a shill with an actual degree of seriousness. A bit ridiculous no?

In general: While I'm not a huge fan of Caseys drumming style of overplaying in many of his videos or his choice of songs, I'll give him his dues as a good drummer and admire his incessant work rate towards his promotion as a musician.

So lets say that I'm standing up for somebody and supporting them, which I am, does that give you the right to ask if I'm getting compensation?!? No.

Lets say I was standing up for somebody in person; are you going to ask me if I get compensation for that?

Its appalling. I have never had anybody ask if I am getting paid to do the right thing.

This is unbelievable.

Okay Emma, I don't know where the term compensation came from, but everyone needs to get back on topic.

Bermuda

So lets say that I'm standing up for somebody and supporting them, which I am, does that give you the right to ask if I'm getting compensation?!? No.

Lets say I was standing up for somebody in person; are you going to ask me if I get compensation for that?

Its appalling. I have never had anybody ask if I am getting paid to do the right thing.

This is unbelievable.

Defensive much?

I don't think you're a shill, for what it's worth. I just think you're taking what are actually light-hearted comments seriously.

Honestly, this is silly. You may not enjoy his videos, I don't, but many people do. The fact that he's famous is what ticks people off. He's absolutely right, he made this success himself. Ask almost any successful career musician, the key to fame/success is not groove, chops, originality, or any other shit that people stress, but self promotion and advertisement. Casey Cooper is a mediocre musician that made it big, there's been hundreds of them. You all sound like jealous old farts. ;)

Casey Cooper is a mediocre musician that made it big, there's been hundreds of them. You all sound like jealous old farts. ;)

I wouldn't say he's mediocre, and I wouldn't say he's made it big, either.

Also, I may be an old fart, but I'm definitely not jealous!

Bermuda

He's pretty big... I've had five(that I can specifically recall) unrelated friends mention Casey Cooper, as soon as they heard I was into the drums.

I wasn't specifically referring to anyone, so no offense meant.

Honestly, this is silly. You may not enjoy his videos, I don't, but many people do. The fact that he's famous is what ticks people off. He's absolutely right, he made this success himself. Ask almost any successful career musician, the key to fame/success is not groove, chops, originality, or any other shit that people stress, but self promotion and advertisement. Casey Cooper is a mediocre musician that made it big, there's been hundreds of them. You all sound like jealous old farts. ;)

Who you calling 'old'? ;)

Maybe it's where I live and work, but out here in L.A., nobody's told me about Casey Cooper or even heard of him. Everyone here is too busy telling me how great they are ;)

He's pretty big... I've had five(that I can specifically recall) unrelated friends mention Casey Cooper, as soon as they heard I was into the drums.

I wasn't specifically referring to anyone, so no offense meant.

hahaa mine usually mention Buddy Rich or john Bonham

It's this younger generation. They're obsessed with the "youtube drummers" that play flashy covers and get paid for it.

I should mention that most of my friends are under the legal drinking age. ;)

It's this younger generation. They're obsessed with the "youtube drummers" that play flashy covers and get paid for it.

I should mention that most of my friends are under the legal drinking age. ;)

That explains it! Wait 'til they start meeting girls ;)

And are you sure they're all making money? I guess my covers weren't flashy enough.

Ask almost any successful career musician, the key to fame/success is not groove, chops, originality, or any other shit that people stress, but self promotion and advertisement.

this statement is generally untrue, especially in music. i'm curious, who are your examples? justin bieber?
i'd agree some very mediocre actors or musicians have got famous, but they are a minority. most have chops.

I'm confused.

Isn't this what the OP originally asked?

Hey everyone,
I just finished publishing a video about Casey Cooper (COOP3RDRUMM3R on Youtube). I was curious what you all thought about him, his drumming technique and style.

I personally love listening to his covers, but I'm curious what you all think.

Did the members here not give accurate descriptions of his playing?

I saw many things mentioned about Caseys drumming that are not "opinion" or "accusations"....but, fact.

I mean, If I posted on here and asked "opinions" about my playing....I would want the community to be honest.
And with that honesty, I would listen to what these experienced players are saying because sometimes....you're not aware of issues until someone else points them out.

Do I get defensive and rattle off a bunch of things that I'm doing that has NOTHING to do with my playing? Or, do I listen and try to correct the things other "experienced" players are seeing that maybe I'm not?

Nobody is immune to flaws....not me, not Vinnie, not Buddy and certainly not Casey.

The advice ( and criticism) I receive about my own playing from drummers around the world ( and this very forum) has done wonders for my playing...and, that ads up to much more than a few pennies from "million of views". (which I've had on several videos)

D

this statement is generally untrue, especially in music. i'm curious, who are your examples? justin bieber?
i'd agree some very mediocre actors or musicians have got famous, but they are a minority. most have chops.

I agree with you there!

However, a chilling thought had run through my mind and I hope it can't possibly come true: imagine back in the day when it was so hard to become a working musician because you had to go to school, to network with other players in school, and everyone from school helped one another to get gigs. In this day and age when it's literally taught that we take talent for granted and marketing is the way - there will eventually come a time when that generation of musician, who may have neglected his talent but knows how to market, will be in the majority, doing the hiring. Some would argue this is happening already (and has been happening), but there's still this glimmer of hope that master musicians are still being employed when you see the sheer musical muscle displayed at your basic film scoring session in L.A.

I know it seems like a very far cry from the 'YouTube cover world', but there are people who actually have careers as musicians that no one ever knows about, and those are people who produce all that wonderful in-tune music you hear on tv, in the movies, for the stage shows, or the professional tours that hire local musicians when they get to a big town. Some of them (like me) you won't ever see and can't advertise that I have this great gig! So the scary talented people are out there, and if you want a career that lasts for years with a close to six-digit income, then those are the people I would want to emulate and hopefully become. It's not about getting famous, it's about the love of music and doing it right and making a living at it for years. I know people who do this music thing so well they own their houses and have put their kids through college on it and are setting up their retirement plans. These people are definitely not flash in the pans, and they're so busy, you never see them on YouTube.

Sorry, I keep adding to this thread, huh? I'll stop now ;)

Sorry, I keep adding to this thread, huh? I'll stop now ;)

Curse you BO 3D3R DRUMM3R!

A good example of who you cite are the many sessions musicians. All the super talented but unseen folks whose names appear only in credits. Sadly, they too may slowly be getting replaced by sampled sounds and midi.

I think that is on-topic in this case, given that we know most of the hype is through third-party compensation.

Emma made it sound like she was being accused of being compensated, and I don't see any comments that implied or would cause her to infer that. As for believing hype, that's another topic.

The purpose of this thread was to find out if the members thought as much of Casey as the OP does, and most of the answers - pro and con - have been delivered cogently based on watching and listening to the videos.

Bermuda

Back