Best Heads for Yamaha Stage Customs?

Zackpen

It's now time for me to change the heads on kit but I don't know what would really sound the best? Right now there are Remo Coated Ambassadors on it and they sound nice but I'm looking at Evans G2 Coated, any suggestions?

i use evans G2 coated on my stage customs. They are good all around heads. I had J1s on them before when I was only playing jazz.

on my toms:

batter side: evans G2 coated
reso: evans genera resonant clear

It's now time for me to change the heads on kit but I don't know what would really sound the best? Right now there are Remo Coated Ambassadors on it and they sound nice but I'm looking at Evans G2 Coated, any suggestions?

I'm not really sure if any of us are qualified to say what is "best" for you but it might help to know what you're looking for sound-wise.

You say the Ambassadors sound "nice" but without knowing what qualities you're still wanting that the current heads aren't delivering it might be hard to give a yay or nay on switching to G2's.

In general going from one-ply to two-ply coated heads you're looking at very similar tone with slightly less attack and slightly more focus.

I have a birch kit that I've used a multitude of head brands and styles on, from clear Ambassadors, clear EC2, coated G2, Strata 1000, Performance 2, and Modern Vintage and they all sounded good to me but gave totally different sounds and feels.

The trick with selecting any kind of head isn't matching the "best" head for a particular drum, but finding the head that gives you the sound you want to hear for the kind of music you play.

I'd suggest listening to the sound samples available for all of the drumhead makers and keying in to the differences in tone and sustain each kind of head offers and choosing based on which sounds "best" to you.

Last edited:
I own the same vintage of Stage Customs as you; I have used Pinstripes, G2s, and EC2s on them for a punchy rock sound. The G2s are ideal for me, as they help the drums project. Just tune them a little higher than you think you need to and the drums will sing out.

It's really up to your musical application, BUT....

I just toured with a Blues band and was using a Stage Custom. I had Coated Aquarian Force 10 heads on the toms, a Clear Super Kick 10 on the Bass, and a Coated Triple Threat on the Snare... WOW!!!

Big, Fat, Low towns that really projected. I have this same head combo on my Recording Custom, so I figured I would try it on the Stage Custom. Honestly I think these heads made that kit one of the best sounding drumsets I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The are perfect for just about any musical application. Rock, Blues, Jazz, Metal, R & B... you name it and this kit could do it with those heads.

I've got a 2011 Stqage Custom kit. I've got EC2's on the tops of my toms and G1's on the bottoms. I like the sound.

The trick with selecting any kind of head isn't matching the "best" head for a particular drum, but finding the head that gives you the sound you want to hear for the kind of music you play.

Spot on! And replacing the word 'head' with 'cymbal','stick','diametar' and 'depth',with appliance of 'feel' all over, you'll find 'a secret formula' for your sound. ;)

Back