Benny Greb

GD, what did that Sand Ride sound like in person?

All of his cymbals sounded great. The ride had great stick sound and a lot of wash. More than I would normally like but maybe I've never heard a great ride before. He also had his sand hats on the set. He said they werent available evrywhere yet. He said he liked thin cymbals and even showed us by pushing down, on a second ride that he crashes, on both side til the sides almost touched the stand. Almost a complete bend like a taco. everyone was amazed. I would have bought the entire set if I had the money and he was willing

That's cool. I love thin cymbals. I wish I played out in always-well-mic'd situations where I could play my thin and best sounding cymbals. Unfortunately, I have to bring the beefier cymbals often so I don't have to worry about breaking them to be heard in a loud and often muddy mix.

The Sand ride has intrigued me because I am always on the lookout for a thin ride that has some heavier ride qualities.

Excellent post GD. Even though I wasn't there I enjoyed your flavor of explanation.
You should think about being a writer you know!

@:)

Awesome drummer, very nice person to meet!

I was lucky enough to meet him and help set up his kit a few years back when I was backlining for a local drum festival. He would walk up to everybody who was working or performing to shake their hand and say a warm "Hi I'm Benny". He made us laugh fooling around with the other drums kits (he had fun with Franky Costanza's double bass kit) during the sound check and later on put on an great entertaining and educational show.

I was really surprised to meet him because I didn't know he would be coming. The truck arrived at the venue to deliver all the kits we had to set up, and while we were unboxing them I was wondering who would be on Sonor that night. Ten minutes later he arrives out of nowhere saying hello and shaking hands with everybody... My jaw dropped! It was funny and very pleasing surprise. After the show I was thanking over and over again my drum teacher for getting me the job.

Here are some of the pictures I manged to take (sorry for the bad quality - I was supposed to be setting up drum up kits not taking pictures hehe!)

Attachments

• The set (from on stage).JPG
    The set (from on stage).JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,768
  • Benny Greb setting up 2.JPG
    Benny Greb setting up 2.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,609
  • Benny Greg at soundchek 3.JPG
    Benny Greg at soundchek 3.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 2,010
  • Benny Greb at soundcheck 2.JPG
    Benny Greb at soundcheck 2.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 1,613
  • The Set.JPG
    The Set.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,586
Last edited:
...I got to see Benny in Edmonton at Mothers Music last night.

I have never heard that kind of sound coming with what looked like such little effort.

My question last night was, with the talent that this guy has, why is he not a house hold name? What I was told was that for those that "get it", he is.

I think I am getting it.

Barry

Hey Barry!!

Thanks for the picture of Me and Benny from last night! Bob just sent it to me:):)
That guy is my hero, so to have a picture with him is really something!

How's that cymbal??

Beauty shots!!

Hey Barry!!

Thanks for the picture of Me and Benny from last night! Bob just sent it to me:):)
That guy is my hero, so to have a picture with him is really something!

How's that cymbal??

Beauty shots!!

...Thanks Mark.

I didn't know that you knew Bob long enough for him to be your hero...Oh. you meant Benny.

The cymbal is a little bit on the gongy side. I should have had Benny sign it and turn it into a clock.

It was good to meet you.

Barry

...I got to see Benny in Edmonton at Mothers Music last night.

I have never heard that kind of sound coming with what looked like such little effort.

My question last night was, with the talent that this guy has, why is he not a house hold name? What I was told was that for those that "get it", he is.

I think I am getting it.

Barry

I guess it's just because he's too young! All the big names have been around for ages. Though, he has everything he needs to become one of the greats!

The man has more groove than my dad's vinyl collection. He also does all the voice stuff on that track, I believe.

I was at one of his clinics a few months ago. A great guy with great advise. Very inspirational.

Benny Greb is so good. I like his drum and cymbal sounds.

Did you see that splash fly off the kit later in the video? Cool

Back