Practcing on electronic drum set

ilanten

Hi there,

Lately I have been practicing a lot on an electronic drum set (Yamaha Dtx2),
You see, I live in an apartment building, and have a very old and angry neighbor ;(

I am practicing a few hours a day on the electronic set, and when I DO get to sit behind REAL drums at rehearsals and shows, it feels very weird and unnatural...

Do you think that it’s even a good Idea to practice on electronics? I mean some issues like independence and reading is OK, but I think that all in terms of "sound" and technique it really defects one's playing…

Your thoughts?

maybe this should be on the "General Discussion" section? ;)

I remember wavelength (i think) saying that aslong as you get a couple sessions a week on an acoustic kit then you should be fine.

practising on the e kit is much better than not practising at all.

Take whatever you can get. Electronic Accoustic just play. An electronic kit can enable you to explore other avenues of creativity that you never knew existed and vice versa on an accoustic kit. It also can provide a drummer with confidence (especially newer drummers) A bad strike on an e-kit is not as pronounced or noticeable as it is on an accoustic kit.
One things for sure though is that you are playing and thats what really counts.
As far as going from one to the other, don't even think about it just play, you will adjust accordingly in a very short period of time.

You might want to look into getting a e-kit with mesh heads. They feel very similar to real kits. Plus they are usually more sensitive to your striking strength also.

I remember wavelength (i think) saying that aslong as you get a couple sessions a week on an acoustic kit then you should be fine.

practising on the e kit is much better than not practising at all.

For coordination, timing, reading and single surface technique, an e-kit is just as useful as an acoustic kit. Your touch and dynamics (especially on the feet), however, will go down the drain if you practice extensively on them -- at least, that's what happened to me. Nowadays I refrain from playing on an e-kit, but will use it for the things I described in the first sentence.

You might want to look into getting a e-kit with mesh heads. They feel very similar to real kits. Plus they are usually more sensitive to your striking strength also.

This makes me wonder what sort of drum sets you've played. My mesh-headed TD8s are nowhere close to any acoustic drums in feel or sensitivity.

For coordination, timing, reading and single surface technique, an e-kit is just as useful as an acoustic kit. Your touch and dynamics (especially on the feet), however, will go down the drain if you practice extensively on them -- at least, that's what happened to me. Nowadays I refrain from playing on an e-kit, but will use it for the things I described in the first sentence.

Short and precise. Spot on, Wavelength!

Yesterday I played the a-kit at my church. Just the variety of colours and feel I could get from the ride cymbal alone makes playing so so much enjoyable. (Mind you, I'm just a beginner with limited skills.) The e-kit, which is ok for practicing coordination and timing, takes away quite a chunk of the joy.

Back