Benny Greb

At around the 30 second mark and others look at his right hand on the ride. His fingers are off of the stick more than they are on it. when I saw him at a clinic a few months ago I was sitting in the front row and could see that and I was mesmerized at the hands and fingers. Also saw a cymbal nut or something bouncing on the snare which he picked up without losing the beat. The washer fell first, then the nut, then the splash. Wanted: one new drum tech to properly assemble drums!! Great drummer with a great sense of humor(humour)

The DVD arrived today.

It's funny.. the only DVD I know where you actually watch the menu :D

I had to watch the menu loop all the way through. It’s one loooooooooong take! And he almost messes up the visual loop at the very end.

Spoiler: the menu is Benny getting his breakfast in his kitchen, but he takes breaks to make percussive music on whatever’s around him. This description may sound a little dull, but it’s actually pretty entertaining.

Also, visually this video is the most appealing I’ve seen, and I have a fairly large collection of drum vids. I’m happy to watch e.g. Gavin Harrison’s stuff with all his great camera angles etc., but there’s something very soothing and pleasing about a guy sitting among the wildflowers with the Alps in the background. (I should point out that that’s just one of many locations in the vid.)

does the sound engineer have to constantly adjust his levels? You really have to crank them up to pick up all the sounds he creates.

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the drum gear section or here. Or if it had been posted before. Anyway, this seems to prove the adage, "it's the singer, not the song." Or in this case the drummer not the drums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SziF4mesPA

Just got the Moving Parts CD and WOW!...

You need to listen to it. Very creative.. groovy and that RAW drum sound!.. Vintage!

Welcome to the Benny Greb-Thread!
I just stumbled over a video where he played with Dom Famularo, Alex Acuna, Eric Moore and many more and it was genius and funny to watch. 😂

I enjoyed how he did some brush playing on Dom‘s Head, it left me seriously curious how it’d feel like to play brushes on skin? Does it tickle? Would it give some bloody scratches? 😂
Anyone ever did something crazy like that?

You don' t care for the existing thread?

Kidding, of course.😁

Back