View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 06:57 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Pete Best - His Weaknesses as a Drummer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAXfan View Post
All of the evidence from the recordings that Best played on show he really wasn't a very good drummer. I think that back at that time, the early sixties, there were three types of drummers.

The first is drummers who were good technically good. Drummers who had lessons, studied, and were skilled professional drummers. Obviously someone like Andy White is in this category.

The second is drummers who didn't study the drums growing up, and were not great technical drummers. But they were naturally talented and played with great time, taste and could swing and groove. I would put Ringo into that category.

The third were drummers who had no technique and not muchl natural skill, but just learned to play in local bands and clubs. They were good enough for that level of playing, but not good enough to take the next step with a band. Pete Best was definitely in this category. I think he was as good as he was going to get in 1962, when Ringo replaced him. Best was good enough for local clubs, but limited.
Think that's a very fair analysis of early 60s drumming....hell even for a lot of eras its pretty accurate.