View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 05:02 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Pete Best - His Weaknesses as a Drummer?

Interesting topic. Not to detract from discussing Pete Best but to add something of a parallel, Oasis, pretty much the biggest band around in the 1990s, fired their drummer for what seems like similar reasons. I watched a documentary the other day about them and Noel or Liam Gallagher were saying that it wasn't happening in the studio for the recording of their first single and they eventually pinpointed it to be the drummer. That it would be good if he could keep time or play in time from one bar to the next.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_McCarroll

Noel and McCarroll got on during childhood, but as Oasis gradually became famous, the relationship between the two faltered. Noel had repeatedly and publicly slammed McCarroll's drumming ability and said it wasn't good enough for a number one single.

McCarroll was reportedly informed he was no longer in the band via a phone call by Marcus Russell at his mother's house.

Oasis explained, his drumming just wasn't up to it. "I like Tony as a geezer but he wouldn't have been able to drum the new songs," explained Noel. McCarroll was replaced by Alan White, who remained until 2004.

Oasis producer Owen Morris said of McCarroll, "Tony was quiet and always polite to me, but seemed out of his depth…so I think Tony did well to survive as long as he did in Oasis." Morris described McCarroll's drumming style as "extremely basic", but with timing and tempo that were "almost autistically perfect".

In 1999 McCarroll hired a solicitor Jens Hills – who had won Pete Best £2m from The Beatles in 1995 – to sue Oasis for £18m. Arguing McCarroll was owed his part of the band's five-album deal. Eventually, he accepted an out-of-court settlement of £600,000.