From Remo to Evans

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
So I've been a Remo Clear Ambassador guy forever (on the toms) but just for shits and giggles I switched to Evans G1's over G1's and I have to say that I think Evans film is warmer sounding than the Remo's. The Evans G1's have the attack I like but without the plasticky sound the Remos have. I have a gig tonight which will be the first time I will be using the G1's outside my studio, but I'm pretty sure I'm an Evans guy now, at least until I try the Aquarian single ply heads. I tried the Evans G Plus (12 mil single ply) heads and found that I was sacrificing attack, (my toms sounded like "Oooom" instead of "Dooom" so I went to G1's and so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

(Is everyone saying Ooom and Doom out loud? The thought of that makes me chuckle ha ha)

So I've been a Remo Clear Ambassador guy forever (on the toms) but just for shits and giggles I switched to Evans G1's over G1's and I have to say that I think Evans film is warmer sounding than the Remo's. The Evans G1's have the attack I like but without the plasticky sound the Remos have. I have a gig tonight which will be the first time I will be using the G1's outside my studio, but I'm pretty sure I'm an Evans guy now, at least until I try the Aquarian single ply heads. I tried the Evans G Plus (12 mil single ply) heads and found that I was sacrificing attack, (my toms sounded like "Oooom" instead of "Dooom" so I went to G1's and so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

I think you have it about right. Although I must say I've never been a fan of clear single plies for batters--way too bright and ringy for me--I prefer coateds over clears.

Much depends on what kind of music you play.

For clears top & bottom, I'd say the Evans are a little nicer yeah.
More of a beefy sound than Amb t&b I think.

For a Coated head though, the Remo has a certain crispness that I like more than the Evans.
Evans coated G1's are nice, but I like a snap in with the "ooom", and the Evans has more mid/bottom than an Ambassador.

The Evans Uno58...now that was a great drum head. I was really bummed when they discontinued that head.

The nice hoop, collar and coating Evans has, but the crispness (of Remo) and beefy Evans fullness all in one head. It used a white film as it's base & not the clear film like the G1 & 2 series.

If people want a deeper full sound out of single ply heads, and not so much attack, I suggest the coated G1 over clear G1.

They didn't have the sound I hear in my head, so I use coated Ambassadors--even though I think Evans makes a great drumhead.

Have fun on your gig!

As far as toms go, I like Evans Hydraulic.
But I am defiinately a Remo guy myself. I just love the Emperor X for snares.

Ive been thinking about changing over to the Evan Hydraulic, currently using G2 clear over G1, I'm not a big fan of resonant toms.
I was thinking either ebony Pinstrips or the Hydraulics, anyone used both? I'm looking for a real focused "thwump" as opposed to a "doom" but I'd settle for "oomf"

any suggestions?

Yea I love the brightness and ringing of single ply clears...Resonance and overtones, lively toms! Gimmee more of that!

Ive been thinking about changing over to the Evan Hydraulic, currently using G2 clear over G1, I'm not a big fan of resonant toms.
I was thinking either ebony Pinstrips or the Hydraulics, anyone used both? I'm looking for a real focused "thwump" as opposed to a "doom" but I'd settle for "oomf"

any suggestions?

I do know that Lars Ulrich used Ebony reso heads on the black album, if that helps any.

any suggestions?

Evans Hydraulics will give you that but from my experiance Aquarian Performance 2's will do it even better. I've used both and I feel that the Aquarians are better and stronger.

Evans Hydraulics will give you that but from my experiance Aquarian Performance 2's will do it even better. I've used both and I feel that the Aquarians are better and stronger.

Nice one cheers, Never really used aquarian heads at all, just looked at the write up and they sound exactly what Im after. thanks for the heads up man.

Ive never experienced Aquarian Perfomance 2's before.
But I do know about Evans Hydraulics.
They have great tone.

NOT in this life to switch for evans...remo emperor all my life, not taking down evans but i ll always like REMO

used Emperors for years.....and was pretty brutal back in the day. Switched to Evans several years ago and never looked back. For me they just live a little longer and sound great. I am open to try new stuff when I can afford to. Was going to try Aquarian heads but decided to try EC2..lol.

As far as dead sounding, the hydraulic heads are very dead IMO. I could never get good clean note out of them. It's all preference..

As far as dead sounding, the hydraulic heads are very dead IMO. I could never get good clean note out of them. It's all preference..

Well yeah, they are meant to sound dead just like the Performance 2's from Aquarian. Some will try 1 or the other than complain cuz they sound dead :)

Hey guys
Ive got some remo pin stripes and there ok ive never known any different (Ive always had pinstripes) i was wondering what i should go to next i was thinkin of evans but i might get some diferent remos but what ones as there are so many !!

Yeah, lots of choices, right? Well if you like Remo and you have been playing pins I'd say try Emperors coated or clear. The Emps will have more volume , clear or coated.

It never hurts to experiment. You never know what your missing.

Exactly Wolfmoon, if you can try several heads or at least one drum head from each of these companies Remo/Evans/Acquarian...
You NEVER Know, you may LOVE the sound from a Super II or CS Batter.

Best,
Chazz \m/

Back