Meg White

I've always thought she plays just right, if everyone was bozzio it'd be no fun. Hand technique aside, I feel she pulls beautiful sounds from the drums, a skill in its own right.

Jack White Defends Meg

2010-03-19 by Alex C. Soothsayer

In a recent interview Jack White spoke out about the criticism his ex-wfie and drummer Meg White. Jack White explained that Meg chooses a minimalistic approach to drumming to avoid over-complication, and added that she has inspired many to pick up the drums.

"Her femininity and extreme minimalism are too much to take for some metalheads and reverse-contrarian hipsters,"

"She can do what those with 'technical prowess' can't. She inspires people to bash on pots and pans. For that, they repay her with gossip and judgement."

White also added:

"In the end she's laughing all the way to the Prada handbag store, she wins every time."

Source: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/news.php?newsid=13264

Re: Jack White Defends Meg

It's too bad she gets ripped on for being simplistic, out of all the simple, repetitive drummers in the scene today, I personally think she is a cut above the rest.

-Jonathan

I think anyone who is bashing Meg White for being a minimalist drummer ought to have their head checked. I love involved, busy drum parts with hundreds of drums and cymbals, but her parts are great - they pulse, they breathe, they swing just a little, they feel GREAT, and they complement the songs. A LOT of drummers from all walks of life could learn volumes from her.

i think she's a tad bit too simple. IMO she almost underplays on all of her tracks. im not saying she should change her basic beats, but throw an accent in there or something to spice things up occasionally. listening the whites music is boring IMO.

I love involved, busy drum parts with hundreds of drums and cymbals, but her parts are great - they pulse, they breathe, they swing just a little, they feel GREAT, and they complement the songs. A LOT of drummers from all walks of life could learn volumes from her.

Al, beautifully put. My sentiments exactly ... as I'd expect from my twin bro' haha

There's something to be said for simplicity, or not overplaying. If it fits the song, then it's good.

Megan White's drumming skills are very complementary to her music. Saying she's a bad drummer for doing so is arrogant to say the least.

Personally, I like to use John Dolmayan as an example of this. He's not insane like some drummers are, he's not necessarily fast like a lot of metal drummers are, but his drumming just fits System Of A Down's music so well you can't disagree with it.

When writing charts, I try not to let the drums be fill-crazy or too muddy.

i think there is something called underpalying that is just as bad as over playing

i think most of the white stripes songs sound like rough demos

i wish i had the chance to play with jack hes a riff machine i think hes music takes a hit b/c of her underplaying

i guess i must be missing something b/c they are one of the most popular bands out there...

I think it's too early for me and Average to voice our opinions. ;P

JP, I think your and my opinions on this are entirely predictable :)

True, and my opinions wouldn't be that positive regarding this subject so maybe I just stay silent this time. =P If you like their music, it's ok. If Meg has inspired someone to pick up drums that's even better. =)

True, and my opinions wouldn't be that positive regarding this subject so maybe I just stay silent this time. =P If you like their music, it's ok. If Meg has inspired someone to pick up drums that's even better. =)

Yep, I don't have the heart to go through it all again! We can agree to disagree :)

My opinions are all on the Super Simple Drumming thread so there's no need to repeat myself repeat myself repeat myself ...

Having said that, I enjoy Bill Bruford's drumming more than any other. Mad keen on Steve Gadd, Billy Cobham, Pierre Moerlen, Prairie Prince and other monster players too. When drummers are fancy and they get the balance just right, it's the coolest thing but I still enjoy the clarity of minimalism.

I think it's not only her playing per se. I believe a lot of jealousy comes into hand regarding the fact the she is a 'mediocre' drummer and made it big, while others have put countless hours into trying to be as good as humanly possible and never managed to succeed as a professional musician.

Also, a lot of us adhere to what wee commonly see as drumming standards - having decent technique, good timing etc. Meg is sort of out of that realm.

Finally, Meg managed to do what I lot of us would love to do: make a living out of what she loves. And on the contrary of many drummers you see here and there, I have yet to see her be cocky about it in regards to her drumming skills.

Take note that I used quotation marks. I'm not trying to judge her here but I need a word to qualify her drumming skills. I'm not a bit fan of their music, but regardless of her drumming abilities Meg White does compliment well the songs I've heard. (But I still cannot stand listening to 'Seven Nation Army'! Argh! That song drives mes nuts!)

Wow, I never thought I would be talking of Meg White like this lol!

I hear the sound of shovels, furiously digging trenches in the distance. Smoke rising from the burning of woodlands and placards being painted in their thousands.

She's a hot looking chick with great hair, makes music that's more poular that yours or mine and you wish you could let your wife loose on the Prada handbag store.

JP, you could start up an art franchise with your custom stick figures! However, if you are struggling to pay the rent because they are less well-received by the public than the WS, then you might have to think about why ...

Look, I get it. I really do. I still remember playing the traps and the bitter feeling of seeing bands who were far more limited and less skilled than my groups going somewhere fast. And we were going nowhere.

Why? Because they struck a chord in audiences - often through being connected with a scene - and we failed to make those connections. We just played what we thought was pretty good music. Not enough. If you don't make those emotional connections then you'd better be very, very, very good.

I'm not bitter any more. I'm getting old and now and only playing for fun, so I don't think it terms of hierarchies. If a track appeals to me, fine. If not, that's fine too. I just find something very pleasing about WS music - it's sassy, melodic, fun and the overall band sound is great.

seriously, people like meg are the ones that inspire kids to attempt to play these instruments in the first place.
there's a reason you hear so many young kids talk about her, travis barker, chad smith, pop/rock drummers, etc.

massive respect to her. i don't care if she isn't complicated, her feel makes up for that tenfold.

She makes a living playing drums/music. Most people can't say that. Good for her. I don't care for her playing but don't mind their music. I'd be more interested in hearing how they made it to the top of the pop charts. I think that would be interesting. I think most people are jealous of the fact that she doesn't have to work a 9-5. Again, good for her. I support her for that.

I have expressed my opinions about Meg in threads before and won't repeat what I have previously said.

I see what you are saying Drum-head sour grapes probably is a factor but I must say I couldn't go around the world playing Meg White stuff I really couldn't I think it would kill me. Everyone says complexity in moderation which I agree with entirely but simplicity in moderation too, there is always a happy medium for all songs and i'm not entirely happy unless i'm being creative with beats. You can still be simple and creative but underplaying really doesn't cut it for me.

Oh dear Jack 'laughing all the way to the Prada handbag store' tut tut, but we don't do it for the money Jack we do it cause we love it, I would happily tour the world for free if I could play with my bands every day or near enough. If he had said laughing all of the way to the Mapex dealers to pick up a brand new Orion, then the attempt to create jealousy may well have worked =P.

Back